More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Typeminer

Re: More Stuff

Post by Typeminer »

Glad I looked in! Man, that looks like fun.

Have not been to Colorado/New Mexico in more than 25 years now. All my road trips through there were memorable. Eastern mountains are a lot lower, and I never had a lot of wind even at peak fitness, so I can appreciate hiking at 12,000 feet. I always noticed altitude a real lot starting at about 8000.

Thanks for sharing. 8-)
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Hansontoons wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:40 pm Hummingbirds
What was the exposure on that top one?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:07 pm

f/5.6, 1/1000

Camera was on auto.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Here are some images from trails. The Rio Grande headwater trail was up in the 12,000 ft elevation range. This section was flat-ish, other parts had steeper ups and downs. Nothing technical, just tiring. The Petroglyph trail was one where you paid attention to where your feet were going, walking sticks were helpful. The "steps" photo shows how the trail winds along the canyon wall- you may have to zoom in to see the steps that were built for the trail, they are in the center of the shot. I hope to do it at least once more before I get too much older.
Headwater Trail.jpeg
Headwater Trail.jpeg (69.75 KiB) Viewed 7990 times
Petroglyph Trail - Steps.jpeg
Petroglyph Trail - Steps.jpeg (83.22 KiB) Viewed 7990 times
Petroglyph Trail.jpeg
Petroglyph Trail.jpeg (73.22 KiB) Viewed 7990 times
AnotherFairportfan

Hansontoons wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:34 am
f/5.6, 1/1000

Camera was on auto.
Figured at least 1/1000.

What was the lens?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:54 pm
Hansontoons wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:34 am
f/5.6, 1/1000

Camera was on auto.
Figured at least 1/1000.

What was the lens?
Nikon 200-500 telephoto at full extension.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I managed to find a website where I can browse old Lego sets, even going back to the 1960s. While that specific site doesn't handle shopping, they have links where you can purchase the older sets online, and I've bought a couple already, one from 1993 and another from 1996.

Right after I built the second set that arrived (the one from 1993), it dawned on me that I've bought antiques... And the set from 1996 is one I had when I was a kid, too.

I'd also picked up Metroid Dread for the Switch... For anyone who hasn't played it but intends to, I highly recommend using a walkthrough. Even when you know to always check for hidden blocks to break, it can take a while to figure out where to go, and a lot of boss fights can be frustratingly difficult unless you manage to get a handle on what to do and when.

The second playthrough is much easier than the first.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Hansontoons wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:49 pm
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:54 pm [What was the lens?
Nikon 200-500 telephoto at full extension.
I've got a Nikon 85 - 200. That's for a D5300, which is an APS-C sensor.

Wish i could afford a full-frame sensor camera...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

My current, randomly switched desktop wallpaper is that of a photo I took on a bicycle trip back in 2013. In a restaurant with many other interesting signs and oddities, one sign said:
I dream of a better world where chicken can cross the road without having their motives questioned
AnotherFairportfan

Nah.

Louisiana joke:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: To show the armadillo it COULD be done.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:55 amNah.

Louisiana joke:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: To show the armadillo it COULD be done.
In this neck of the woods, it's opossums instead of armadillos.

Which leads to a joke about needing to bring a chicken out here.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I was catching up on Grrl Power and came across this hilarious post, which I felt I just had to copy and paste here...
Pander
November 17, 2021, 11:40 pm | Reply
Pretty much the entire Jenkinsverse is a fanfic of ‘Humans are Awesome’ + ‘Earth is a Deathworld/Space Australia.’

I particularly liked this little dialogue on reddit’s ‘humans are weird but awesome’ thread:

Alien: “I’m sorry, what did you just say your comfortable temperature range is?”

Human: “Honestly we can tolerate anywhere from -40 to 50 Celcius, but we prefer the 0 to 30 range.”

Alien: “……. I’m sorry, did you just list temperatures below freezing?”

Human: “Yeah, but most of us prefer to throw on scarves or jackets at those temperatures it can be a bit nippy.”

Other human: “Nah mate, I knew this guy in college who refused to wear anything past his knees and elbows until it was -20 at least.”

Human: “Heh. Yeah everybody knows someone like that.”

Alien: “……. And did you also say 50 Celcius? As in, half way to boiling?”

Human: “Ugh. Yes. It sucks, we sweat everywhere, and god help you if you touch a seatbelt buckle, but yes.”

Alien: “……. We’ve got like 50 uninhabitable planets we think you might enjoy.”

Alien: “You’re telling me that you have… settlements. On islands with active volcanism?”

Human: “Well, yeah. I’m not about to tell Iceland and Hawaii how to live their lives. Actually, it’s kind of a tourist attraction.”

Alien: “What, the molten rock?”

Human: “Well, yeah! It’s not every day you see a mountain spew out liquid rocks! The best one is Yellowstone, though. All these hot springs and geysers from the supervolcano–”

Alien: “You ACTIVELY SEEK OUT ACTIVE SUPERVOLCANOES?”

Human: “S**t, man, we swim in the groundwater near them.”

Alien: “And you say the poles of your world would get as low as negative one hundred with wind chill?”

Human: “Yup, with blizzards you cant see through every other day just about.”

Alien: “Amazing! when did you manage to send drones that could survive such temperatures?”

Human: “… well, actually…”

Alien: “… what?”

Human: “…we kinda……. sent……….. people…..”

Alien: “…”

Human: “…”

Alien: “…what?”

Human: “we sent-”

Alien: “no yeah I heard you I just- what? You sent… HUMANS… to a place one hundred degrees below freezing?”

Human: “y-yeah”

Alien: “and they didn’t… die?”

Human: “Well the first few did”

Alien: “PEOPLE DIED OF THE COLD AND YOUR SOLUTION WAS TO SEND MORE PEOPLE???!?!?!?”

—–

There’s also another genre called ‘Humans are Scary in how Friendly they are.’ Another example from Reddit:

It occurs to me that as much as “humans are the scary ones” fit sometimes, if you look at it another way, humans might seem like the absurdly friendly or curious ones.

I mean, who looked at an elephant, gigantic creature thoroughly capable of killing someone if it has to, and thought “I’m gonna ride on that thing!”?

And put a human near any canine predator and there’s a strong chance of said human yelling “PUPPY!” and initiating playful interaction with it.

And what about the people who look at whales, bigger than basically everything else, and decide “I’m gonna swim with our splashy danger friends!”

Heck, for all we know, humans might run into the scariest, toughest aliens out there and say “Heck with it. I’m gonna hug ‘em.”

“Why?!”

“I dunno. I gotta hug ‘em.”

And it’s like the first friendly interaction the species has had in forever so suddenly humanity has a bunch of big scary friends.

“Commander, we must update the code of conduct to include the humans.”

“Why? Are they more aggressive than we anticipated?”

“It seems to be the opposite Commander. Just this morning a crewman nearly lost their hand when attempting to stroke an unidentified feline on an unknown world. Their reaction to the attack was to call the creature a “mean kitty” and vow to win it over. Upon inquiry, it seems they bond so readily with creatures outside their species that they have the capacity to feel sympathy for an alien creature they have never seen before simply because it appears distressed. I hate to say this commander but we must install a rule to prevent them from endangering their own lives when interacting with the galaxy’s fauna.”

“I see what you mean. So be it, from now on no crewman is allowed to touch unknown animals without permission from a superior officer. And send a message to supplies about acquiring one of these “puppies” so that their desire to touch furred predators can be safely sated.

Let’s be honest, the humans would ignore the hell outta that rule whenever alone.

“So I hear that you’ve just recruited a human for your ship.”

“Yes, it’s the first time that I’ve worked with these species, but they come highly recommended. Say, you’ve worked with a few, what tips can you give me? I’d hate to have some kind of cultural misunderstanding if it’s avoidable.”

“The first rule of working with humans is to never leave them unsupervised.”

“Wait, what?”

“I’m serious. Don’t do it. Things. Happen.”

“But wait, I thought that I heard you highly recommended that every crew should have at least one on board?”

“Absolutely, and I stand by that. Humans are excellent innovators and are psychologically very resilient. If you have a crisis, then a human that has bonded with your crew properly can be invaluable. Treat your human well and you should get the best out of them as a crew member. Their ability to get on with almost any species is legendary.”

“But Toks, didn’t you just say…”

“The trouble is that they will potentially try to bond with anything. If you leave them unsupervised, you have no idea what kind of trouble they can get themselves into. It was sheer luck that the Fanzorians thought that it was funny that the human picked up the Crown Prince to coo at him.”

“Crown Prince Horram, Scourge of Pixia?”

“The very same. Surprisingly good sense of humor. But don’t even get me started on that one time with the Dunlip. Al-Human wanted to know if they could keep it. As a pet.”

“A Dunlip? You mean the 3-metre tall apex predators from Jowun?”

“Yup. Don’t leave your humans unsupervised.”

“I’ll uh, take that under advisement.”

“Seriously. Get a supply of safe animals for the humans to bond with or they will make their own. I mean, they will try to befriend anything they come across anyway, but without any permanent pets they can get… creative. Don’t even get me started on the time one of them taped a knife to one of our auto-cleaners and named it Stabby.

Three weeks in and when we finally caught the wretched thing, half the humans on crew tried to revolt about us “killing” Stabby by removing the knife.

“How… how did you resolve that sir?”

“Glaxcol made a toy knife out of insulation rubber and strapped that on instead. Quite a creative solution, I suppose.”

“And that sated the humans?

“Worse.”

“Worse?”

“They thought it was so funny they made a second one, strapped false eyes on springs to both and held mock battles. Then decided Stabby and Knifey were in love and now none of them will allow the others to stage fights between them any more.”

“So, if I supply my Humans with safe bonding pets they will behave better when on other planets? Where do I get safe bonding pets?”

“Realizing the havoc their species created with their bonding needs, Earth has been kind enough to create an intergalactic ‘pet’ shop as they call it, the order forms are on the bridge.”

“If they get a pet this should prevent any knife welding auto-cleaners?”

“Yes…”

“You don’t sound very reassuring.”

“Well… You have to understand that some of what humans find attractive about their ‘pets’ is actually what makes them dangerous. Not all of what they consider ‘safe’ is what we would consider ‘safe’.”

“OK… I am getting a little nervous about this.”

“No, no, it’s fine, I’m just saying you should maybe keep an eye on what they order. Ask them to describe the creature before they get it. For example, the first time I had a human on board I let them order a pet without checking what it was.”

“What happened?”

Well, when it arrived it was a 25 pound fanged and clawed feline creature called a Savannah Cat. My entire crew was terrified of it, it was agile and could easily have seriously injured someone, but the human had no fear of it. They insisted on carrying it around like a child, and they would squeeze it’s ‘beans’ as they said, forcing the creatures claws out, and then they would show people it’s deadly claws while saying, and I quote, ‘look at its adorable claws, this is what it uses to kills things, isn’t it cute?’“

“Seriously?”

“I have also heard stories from other crews that their humans ordered canines that weigh as much or more then they do, and they sleep next to the giant creature.”

“You are not making me feel better with these stories…”
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I haven't read either of those particular stories, but there certainly are a fair number of stories like them on r/HFY.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

The current quote put up on my desktop by my wallpaper changer is "Illegally parked cars will be towed at owner's expense."

Nothing funny there.

Unless you happen to misread it, the first time around, as: "Illegally parked Ears will be towed at owner's expense."

Something about eavesdropping, perhaps? :mrgreen:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

This quote is definitely funnier:
Ma Bell is a mean mother!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's another quote from my wallpaper changer:
It's bad enough that life is a rat-race, but why do the rats always have to win?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Ha! How about this one:
Real Users find the one combination of bizarre input values that shuts down the system for days.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

The wallpaper changer strikes again:
Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen. - Brené Brown
True.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And this one:
unfair competition, n.:
Selling cheaper than we do.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish. - Steven Wright