More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler »

Another amusing quote:
My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you today that I’ve signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes. -- Ronald Reagan
Apparently, it was a joke made before an actual speech, while he was testing the microphone. I find it amusing. Some people at the time thought it was in poor taste, while others really got their feathers ruffled over this...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And just as I closed my browser, I saw the next quote on my wallpaper:
In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over than 6 feet in length.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

FreeFlier wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:06 am
Dave wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:04 pmHaving one of them be a chemical light-stick is a good idea. "Intrinsically safe" (cannot spark an explosion), waterproof, can produce at least some light for quite a few hours, comes in multiple light-colors so you can color-coordinate with your outfits, or use different colors to mark different sorts of hazards.
Yep.

There are little bitty ones intended for fishing lures that make good markers, and the slender flexible ones that make good personnel markers (wear them as a bracelet or necklace), and oversize ones for more light, and super-high-intensity lightsticks for illuminating large areas . . . the military adds IR ones that can only e seen with night vision gear . . .
Just be sure that you don't have a whole case of the things break and leak bright glowing liquid all over the top of your vehicle when you're trying to travel stealthily through the desert at night.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I've never been to the desert, but I've been storing them in a small Plano field box, which will definitely fit in my rucksack and any of my smaller backpacks (a Vizm first responder bag, a Drago assault pack, and a Brandit 3-day bag... Which are all pretty much the same thing, in increasing quality/cost) without an issue.

I also keep seeing ads for a cipher bandana, and I'm wondering if it'd be a good buy or not. It has the alphabet in a ring, with the military phonetic alphabet next to them, followed by Morse code, sign language, and semaphore, as well as instructions for how to use a signal mirror. I already have a signal mirror, but I don't know Morse code.

Of course... Would whoever I'm signaling know Morse code or semaphore?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

but that's most relevant in a mica-lined room.
Of course! I wouldn't store my calendar machine anywhere else. Better safe than sorry!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:21 pmI've never been to the desert, but I've been storing them in a small Plano field box, which will definitely fit in my rucksack and any of my smaller backpacks (a Vizm first responder bag, a Drago assault pack, and a Brandit 3-day bag... Which are all pretty much the same thing, in increasing quality/cost) without an issue.

I also keep seeing ads for a cipher bandana, and I'm wondering if it'd be a good buy or not. It has the alphabet in a ring, with the military phonetic alphabet next to them, followed by Morse code, sign language, and semaphore, as well as instructions for how to use a signal mirror. I already have a signal mirror, but I don't know Morse code.

Of course... Would whoever I'm signaling know Morse code or semaphore?
Most people know the SOS signal: ...---...

Technically it's not the letters, just a nine-digit code in morse.

Some of the lights have the function built in . . . trigger it, and the light sends the signal automatically.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, there is that part. Although, at the same time, it's my understanding that smoke columns from three fires are generally recognized as a distress signal, as well as three shots from a rifle. I don't know if they need to be repeated a certain number of times at specific intervals, though. However, I can save my ammo, as my emergency whistle is definitely loud enough to require ear protection.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Atomic wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:28 pm
Of course! I wouldn't store my calendar machine anywhere else. Better safe than sorry!
But it just went Phhhhhbbbbbbttttt!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

jwhouk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:17 pm
Atomic wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:28 pm
But it just went Phhhhhbbbbbbttttt!
Kinda like that one UFO Bud told the cops she saw?

EDIT: I can't seem to find that particular page...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Another somewhat amusing quote from my wallpaper changer:
Linux: Where Don't We Want To Go Today?
Submitted by Pancrazio de Mauro, paraphrasing some well-known sales talk
(It amused me, anyway...)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

There was a very short-lived advertising campaign, "Windows: Life Without Walls"

... but someone asked "if we're living without walls, what do we need windows for and where do we put them?"
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Warrl wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:21 pm There was a very short-lived advertising campaign, "Windows: Life Without Walls"

... but someone asked "if we're living without walls, what do we need windows for and where do we put them?"
That's a good one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

If only that could happen...
(Another quote from my wallpaper changer)
“Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster. Your life will never be the same again.” - Og Mandino
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Unfortunately, this one is probably true:
Official Project Stages:
  1. Uncritical Acceptance
  2. Wild Enthusiasm
  3. Dejected Disillusionment
  4. Total Confusion
  5. Search for the Guilty
  6. Punishment of the Innocent
  7. Promotion of the Non-participants
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

You bet it's true!

Though I saw it as:

Stages of a project:
Enthusiasm
Disillusionment
Apathy
Panic!
Search for the guilty
Punishment of the innocent
Praise and honors for the nonparticipants

Of course, it can be argued that anybody who manages to be a non-participant after the search for the guilty deserves honors!

--FreeFlier
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Management doesn't see it that way . . . it HAS to be somebody else's fault! (Especially when it's failed because of management meddling with things they don't understand . . . which is pretty much anything they can't eat, drink or screw.)

This is one of many reasons I despise MBAs.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

One of my wisdom teeth needs to be removed. It's been causing me a fair amount of pain the past couple of weeks, but I couldn't get anything done about it because I was in Ohio, seeing folks I haven't seen since 2011.

Thankfully, there are mouthwashes specifically made to help with toothaches.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Oh - ick, and condolences! Had mine out long ago, and appreciate the discomfort (to put it mildly). Enjoy your slushies!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I naturally had only three wisdom teeth, and when this was discovered I was told that the one that didn't have a mate in the lower jaw would eventually grow so large it would have to come out.

That was about 30 years ago. I still have that mismatched wisdom tooth.

About ten years later, one of the wisdom teeth that DID have a match grew so large that it had to come out. Meanwhile its mate never grew even large enough to break through the gum.

Human bodies are weird - and the closer you study them, the weirder they are.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I've used Sensodyne toothpaste for years to help with sensitive teeth.

And one of my right wisdom teeth never came in . . . the opposing one eventually had to be pulled, but I still have both teeth on the other side.

--FreeFlier