COMPUTER CRASH - new name - Fairportfan3

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan3

COMPUTER CRASH - new name - Fairportfan3

Post by Fairportfan3 »

When we moved, my Real Computer apparently died in the move.

So i've been using my Pseudo Computer, a Microsoft Surface Go.

Well, recently i needed to restore an image on it, and lost some stuff. {Not everything - the Surface's "C drive" is so small i keep most everything externally.}

Unfortunately, one of the tings i DID lose was user credentials for this forum.

So i'm starting overs, with a new login, as "Fairportfan3".

Of course, i don't have access to anything i posted as "Fairportfan" or "AnotherFairportfan"...

* le sigh *
Last edited by Fairportfan3 on Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atomic

Re: COMPUTER CRASH - new name - Fairportfan3

Post by Atomic »

FWIW, I've got a loose leaf notebook with dividers to cover all the passworded sites I deal with. One page each site. So, I have a listing of the 2FA details as needed, e-mails, dates, and rolling list of the prior passwords for those sites that keep demanding updates every 90 days or something.

External hard drives for backups are a good thing too. Good luck with everything!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan3 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:15 pm Unfortunately, one of the tings i DID lose was user credentials for this forum.

So i'm starting overs, with a new login, as "Fairportfan3".

Of course, i don't have access to anything i posted as "Fairportfan" or "AnotherFairportfan"...

* le sigh *
That can be fixed. "We have the tools..."

PM me and we can get it straightened out, I'm sure.
Fairportfan3

Post by Fairportfan3 »

Unfortunately, what i lost was not so much creds here as i no longer have access to the email i used to set "AnotherFairportfasn" up.

I have some thoughts - i'll PM you.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mischief managed.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:28 pm FWIW, I've got a loose leaf notebook with dividers to cover all the passworded sites I deal with. One page each site. So, I have a listing of the 2FA details as needed, e-mails, dates, and rolling list of the prior passwords for those sites that keep demanding updates every 90 days or something.
Sounds... very secure, I'm sure... ;)

I hope you store it inside a fire-proof safe, at least...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I use a free password manager that keeps an encrypted backup in the cloud.

And I have a rather misleading hint about the master password (to get into the password manager). What it means to me is not what it would mean to most other people.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

The one I use is Bitwarden. I highly recommend it. It works quite well, and is free of charge.

I used to use LastPass, but ceased doing so when they decided that you needed to be on a paid tier in order to share it between devices (computer/tablet/phone). Bitwarden does not have any such restriction. I had done some research to find out how to replace LastPass, and Bitwarden came highly recommended. I have had no unpleasant surprise with it, in the few years I have used it already. I therefore also highly recommend it.

My master password is an amalgam of initials of several words, plus a date whose significance I will not reveal... It is something for which no kind of hint will help...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

lake_wrangler wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:27 am My master password is an amalgam of initials of several words, plus a date whose significance I will not reveal... It is something for which no kind of hint will help...
You'll get good results using your grandmother's shoe size, name of your first goldfish, and your dog's blood type.

My Deviant Art scribbles
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:11 am
lake_wrangler wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:27 am My master password is an amalgam of initials of several words, plus a date whose significance I will not reveal... It is something for which no kind of hint will help...
You'll get good results using your grandmother's shoe size, name of your first goldfish, and your dog's blood type.
Nice going! Now I can't use those, because others will be able to figure it out!

Whatever you do, just don't go making your password correcthorsebatterystaple... I've read somewhere that ever since that comic was posted, that's one of the, if not the, first example of passwords that comes up in searches for password strength advice...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ok then.

FaultyLlamaVoltaicBolt

My Deviant Art scribbles
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I had to suffer another 'mandatory update' for my HP laptop- currently I am getting MacAfee and Microsoft Edge 'notices' (standard blackmail attempts) regarding viruses and 'MacAfee about to expire'. They are popping up every 60 seconds with contradictory information. I tried MacAfee once before and had to pay $40 to remove it from my computer once it decided I was a virus.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Reminds me of that "free music player" that was actually a virus/root tool. Not WinAmp, some other one. Forget the name.

Good luck with all that!

My Deviant Art scribbles
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:15 pm I had to suffer another 'mandatory update' for my HP laptop- currently I am getting MacAfee and Microsoft Edge 'notices' (standard blackmail attempts) regarding viruses and 'MacAfee about to expire'. They are popping up every 60 seconds with contradictory information. I tried MacAfee once before and had to pay $40 to remove it from my computer once it decided I was a virus.
Unless you use specialty/proprietary software which can't be found under any other operating system, might I suggest you look into converting your laptop to Linux?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Atomic wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:29 pm Reminds me of that "free music player" that was actually a virus/root tool. Not WinAmp, some other one. Forget the name.

Good luck with all that!
Sounds like my experience with RealPlayer.

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

That's the one! You needed close to a full OS reinstall in a new, clean hard drive to get rid of it. Something like that.

My Deviant Art scribbles