Second Dose of Vaccine

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Second Dose of Vaccine

Post by TazManiac »

I had to reschedule a few days but I'm currently in line to get my second dose...

edit-. 2nd Dose is on-board, in the 'waiting to see if you fall out' period...
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Second Dose of Vaccine

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I'm scheduled for next Wednesday.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I took this second one in the opposite shoulder.

Three days on and the stronger muscular pain in my trapezoid is pretty much gone.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Based on some comments about the second dose i'd seen here and elsewhere, left-handed me decided to take the second shot {yesterday} in the right arm.

More than 30 hours later, some slight soreness, nothing else.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

When I got the second shot of Pfizer, they were asking people which side they usually sleep on, and they injected on the other side if you had a preference. Myself, that muscle didn't get as sore as it had the first time. Had some general muscle aches, lethargy, and feeling of cold for a few days, but it was also rainy cooler weather that week.

I know a couple of women who were walloped by second-shot effects. My nominal boss had it the worst (Moderna, I think). She had the whole list for two days, and lingering effects for a week.

I'm fully certified now. Going to meet my brother (also fully vaccinated now) out at the parents' old place later today. We stopped getting together after Thanksgiving, when the cases were really increasing and the variants were spreading.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Typeminer wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 am I'm fully certified now. Going to meet my brother (also fully vaccinated now) out at the parents' old place later today. We stopped getting together after Thanksgiving, when the cases were really increasing and the variants were spreading.
So, the psychiatrists finally caught you, did they?

Second dose of Moderna on last Saturday.

Moderna has 'Covid Arm' or 'Moderna Arm'. It appears to be a Caucasian female linked side effect, which has a 100% chance of going away. Seems like the Caucasian female gets it the worst from the vaccines, judging by Moderna and Johnson and Johnson. It's still a 1 in 1000 event (the covid arm thing). Of course, my wife is one in a thousand.. ;P She's delaying the second shot by four weeks.

Daughter will hit 12 in two days, so we'll find someplace to get her Pfizer shot.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

We got the Pfizer second shot on Monday. My lady maybe has some extra muscle aches, but it isn't slowing her down any - which is a good thing, because yesterday I was awake for a grand total of MAYBE 6 hours and that was about an hour too much.

I've heard this isn't particularly uncommon.

Fortunately, I'm pretty much back to what passes as normal for me.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Challenger007 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:34 am Glad to hear that you are doing well. I really hope that in the future there will be no consequences after vaccines of a new type, after all, the RNA vaccine is an absolute novelty.
A comforting factoid - during development and testing of previous generations of vaccines, there were no significant new side effects observed more than six months after the vaccines were administered. In other words, if a vaccine is going to cause problems, those problems have (historically) showed up fairly quickly, not after a long delay. Anaphylactic reactions tend to occur within a few minutes to a few hours, immunoreactive ones within a couple of days.

The Pfizer-vaccine Stage 3 tests ended in November '20, Moderna had a Phase 3 collection cutoff the same month and published their interim Phase 3 report on New Years' Eve. So, we're now almost 7 months past the end of the Phase 3 tests. It's certainly possible that there will be unexpected long-term side effects, but based on history-to-date it doesn't seem likely.

At this point, it appears to me that the new mRNA vaccines are more effective than any of the other vaccines in use, and they don't seem to trigger the (rare!) clotting side effect of the virus-vectored vaccines such as A-Z and J-and-J. (mRNA vaccines which were animal-tested against Ebola back in 2017 were also extremely effective.)

This actually makes good technical sense to me. The virus-vectored vaccines use a more complex path for triggering the creation of the spike proteins - this path also depends on the mRNA process but the creation of the spike-making mRNA is more indirect. These virus-vectored ones are also probably triggering the creation of other (viral) antigens, and so might be more prone to cause a reaction against those antigens (and this reaction won't help at all against COVID-19).

The inactivated-COVID-virus, and manufactured-spike-protein vaccines do seem to work, but not as efficiently.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

PS- I think we've already posted this link before, but it's very relevant, so hur ya go:

mRNA Vaccine
https://xkcd.com/2425/