Musical musings

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Musical musings

Post by DinkyInky »

I am sure on some iteration of several forums I post in I have mentioned my leanings toward classical music, and some classical pop fusions.

I recently got my wee one Josh Groban's latest offering All that Echoes, Joshua Bell's Voice of the Violin, and was given a copy of Jackie Evancho's Dream with Me.

My wee one is so cute when he tries to sing Groban's songs as his voice has not decided where it wants to go yet. I discovered this on a road trip playing his Closer album. The song was All'Improvisio Amore. I heard this sweet high voice softly singing in the background, and tried to set my speakers to figure out who the songbird was. Imagine my surprise when I found it to be my son!

Brave(sorry, I guess the official video is not out yet), the first track out, is this anthemic positive powerhouse that already has my son singing everywhere. It reminds me of the seemingly spontaneous energy of his debut album, with lively pieces, and even a soulful Stevie Wonder cover.

Joshua Bell, a hometown hero to me and mine, has a story to tell, and he uses his remarkable Stradivarius( that has a tale itself to tell) to tell it. Voice of the Violin is a HUGE novel sized tale without a single word needed, and a few here and there anyway.
From the opening track, Rachmaninoff's Vocalise, to the gorgeous moodsetter May Breezes from Songs Without Words Op. 62 No.1...I really feel like Spring is in the air listening to it, his Violin dares you to catch them. Emotive and evoking of lush visuals, it is a joy. Like Vivaldi's Four Seasons at St. Martin in the Fields, the joy that he shares with the audience playing this violin is clear.
Morgen! Op.27 No.4 closes out the album, and I was surprised to discover the Violin took the center stage from the enchanting Soprano singing on the track. Tartini's the Devil's Trill closing out the Four Seasons is seductive and mischievous, a real treat. The playing is definitely different than when he owned The Red Violin, and it shows. He even collaborated with Josh Groban on his album Closer on a beautiful rendition of Mi Mancherai from Il Postino, and it was hard pressed to determine who sounded more magnificent on the track. I am only needing to repurchase about a million of his older albums to replace those stolen, but so worth it.

Jackie Evancho, the pint sized soprano that gained headlines on Reality TV(which I did not know because I rarely watch TV), had a light and pretty debut, ten years old,really?...wow...covering many songs from The Prayer(featuring another reality darling, Susan Boyle), to Phantom's All I Ask of You. Breezy, airy Dream With Me is the title track, and shows her pretty voice. She covers a few primadonna faves like Nella Fantasia and Nessun Dorma as well. Her voice is rich with emotion, which I am sure will only improve with time and training. She already beats the hell out of Charlotte Church. My wee one already says if she can, so can I...so I get to hear everything from this to Linkin Park. Oh...the torture...the absolute torture! /sarcasm

I'm loving every minute of it!

So, anyway, sorry for blathering on, but I am being smothered in cute and felt like sharing.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir