Given what they're likely to wind up with, it seems appropriate

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Given what they're likely to wind up with, it seems appropriate

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sheriff’s officials say they’ve busted an illegal winery that was operating at a municipal sewage plant in [Rainsville] a small north Alabama town.

The DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement it received an anonymous tip about an alcohol operation at a municipal building in the town of Rainsville on Thursday. Investigators then uncovered what’s described as a large illegal winery inside the Rainsville Waste Water Treatment Plant.

Photos released by investigators show glass containers, buckets, a fermenting rack and other equipment often used by people who make wine at home.

The agency says officers seized a lot of illegal alcohol, and arrests are expected. The town of about 5,100 people is 100 miles northeast of Birmingham.

“I want to thank the mayor for his cooperation and willingness to allow law enforcement to do our job and shut something like this down,” Sheriff Nick Welden said in a statement. “This is definitely one of the biggest operations we’ve seen in our county and possibly our state.”

It’s legal to make limited amounts of wine at home in Alabama, but it’s illegal to have more than 15 gallons of homemade wine or beer at a time. Police photos show multiple fermenting vessels filled with what appears to be more than 100 gallons of white and red liquid.
This should be a video news story.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Re: Given what they're likely to wind up with, it seems appropriate

Post by Typeminer »

The HORROR!

Got to tell ya, friends, there's a whole lot more than 15 gallons of homemade wine in my cellar. That's a ridiculously low limit for family use.

Why these guys were doing it at the plant is another question. Those carboys are pretty standard for home fermentation and storage. Whether the product would be any good depends on what they started with. When one thinks of regional viticulture in the USA, Alabama wouldn't be near the top, exactly. :mrgreen:

Federally, and in PA, at least, I think there is no criminality unless you sell the product.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

That's the Alabama limit; there is a federal limit on how much you can produce annually - lessee - ah! Quoting Nolo.com:
On a federal level, adults may make wine for personal consumption without a license or tax payments under the Internal Revenue Code. Home vintners may produce up to 100 gallons per year in one adult households and up to 200 gallons per year for homes with two or more adults. The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) provides a helpful conversion chart that translates gallons into different bottle sizes.

Federal rules allow homemade wines to be transported outside of the home for wine tastings, demonstrations, contests, and organized meetings. Be mindful that if you wish to offer your wine for commercial purposes, a host of federal, state, and local rules will kick in, such as federal and state taxes, licensing requirements, bonding mandates, labelling approvals, and grape designations.
These boys were obviously making it to sell.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

But, but, butt... Isn't part of the magic the influence of native spores in the immediate area? (Treatment Plant...)
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:48 am But, but, butt... Isn't part of the magic the influence of native spores in the immediate area? (Treatment Plant...)
Refer back to the title of this thread...
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Point of fact, yeah--we are convinced that the cellar does affect the wine, though maybe not as much if you follow industrial sanitation procedures. But we do aerobic primary fermentation for almost everything, and then put most of it in oak half-barrels (~33 gallon capacity) for a year or two, before moving it to carboys, demijohns, and a couple of old-style brewery quarter-kegs for storage until bottling.

We consistently get a flor yeast on the surface that we are sure is from the cellar environment. Stone cellar walls, unevenly mortared; dirt floor covered in 4-mil poly and indoor/outdoor carpet rugs. Place is a mid-1800s farmhouse, one of several village buildings built of bricks fired onsite. Our wines always differ from the wines made by the vineyards' own wineries. Some of that is technique, trade secrets, and whether they sold us the good stuff, but we do think stuff in the cellar plays a part.

We called the flor the "scum of goodness" until we figured out what it is, because we first noticed it on a particularly good vintage. Vintners consider it a defect and a risk, so we try to limit it by skimming it off and adding sulfite (K2S2O5), but it has no flavor of its own and does not seem to hurt the wine in any obvious way.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Next up, Chateau Merde, a fine Georgia Rosé with a distinct, sharp taste and subtle after effects. Known for it's powerful scent, it is an excellent accompaniment to Bar-B-Que beef and Spicy Mexican dishes.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:41 pm Next up, Chateau Merde, a fine Georgia Rosé with a distinct, sharp taste and subtle after effects. Known for it's powerful scent, it is an excellent accompaniment to Bar-B-Que beef and Spicy Mexican dishes.
Where's that upvote button when you need it...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So, they found a way to make wine worse? Hell of an accomplishment.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:36 pm So, they found a way to make wine worse? Hell of an accomplishment.
Oh, there's tons of ways to make wine worse. Trust me. :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:41 pm Next up, Chateau Merde, a fine Georgia Rosé with a distinct, sharp taste and subtle after effects. Known for its powerful scent, it is an excellent accompaniment to Bar-B-Que beef and Spicy Mexican dishes.
Goes well with Anthrax Ripple ice cream, I would imagine.

(Fixed a minor and common grammatical error for you.)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Tengu berry mush!

No doubt my grammar filter was distracted while I dealt with my lung lining being shed at the "tasting" -- the powerful scent and all that.

P.S. - Don't forget the Crunchy Frog mints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:24 am Tengu berry mush!

No doubt my grammar filter was distracted while I dealt with my lung lining being shed at the "tasting" -- the powerful scent and all that.

P.S. - Don't forget the Crunchy Frog mints!
OK, now you've done it. Instead of a nice pastoral image of happy people trampling on grapes to make wine, I now have a mental image of a long-nosed Japanese yōkai trampling on ichigo, preparing to ferment and distill some sort of horrendous concoction which will (if consumed by humans) cause hallucinations, hair loss, and gallstones. And don't get me started on what would happen if you quaffed it to wash down a nice mouthful of Crunchy Frog.

Tengu brew would make the Transcendent Pig turn away in horror. :shock:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

It's the Balut that makes all the difference! Tengu berries are an easy start to a variety of concoctions, but not even Limburger could stand up by comparison.

My Deviant Art scribbles