Looks as if the board software...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Looks as if the board software...

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

...thinks Daylight Time ended this weekend.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Re: Looks as if the board software...

Post by Dave »

It may be a state or regional thing. It's telling me that it's 3:56 PM in my location (California, Pacific time) and my watch agrees with it.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:58 pm It may be a state or regional thing. It's telling me that it's 3:56 PM in my location (California, Pacific time) and my watch agrees with it.
Interesting. It had me at GMT - 5, which is non-daylight time for Eastern. I had to set it to GMT - 4 to get the right times on posts.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

REPEAL DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

TazManiac wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:23 am REPEAL DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME
I'm still puzzled by the Indiana legislature. A few years ago they ordered a study on the impact of starting to do Daylight Savings Time. The study came back saying that the net effect on the state's economy would be negative a few billion dollars a year. So the legislature said "okay, let's do it."

(But then, I allegedly had a great-great-uncle who told my dad "anyone who gets elected twice is a crook"... during his 6th term in the Indiana state legislature.)
AnotherFairportfan

I'll point out that, by not going on Daylight Time, Indiana spends/spent {did they initiate it?} a large part of the year in the "wrong" timezone.

Well, most of Indiana - isn't Indiana the state that has/had Daylight time in a small part of the state?

I know there was one and my mind insists it was Indiana.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:05 pm I'll point out that, by not going on Daylight Time, Indiana spends/spent {did they initiate it?} a large part of the year in the "wrong" timezone.

Well, most of Indiana - isn't Indiana the state that has/had Daylight time in a small part of the state?

I know there was one and my mind insists it was Indiana.
Yes, Indiana did that. The northwest corner is part of metropolitan Chicago Illinois; it's both on Central Time and has long used DST, which means it matches Chicago time. I have no idea why the southwest corner is also on Central Time. The rest of the state is on Eastern Time - but not using DST meant that in the summer it matched Illinois time, whereas in winter (and now year-round) it matches Ohio and eastern-Kentucky time, but the two metropolitan areas centered in those states (Cincinatti and Louisville) that lap over into Indiana are - combined - much smaller than Chicago, and don't lap into the state as much.

(Frankly I suspect the real reason for starting using DST state-wide was to be Not Illinois. Which is a lousy reason for that particular change.)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

We don't save daylight here in Arizona. We have too much of it as it is. :)

EDIT: and it correctly put the time of posting down, so whatever it is, there ain't no bugs on me.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin