Old as Hell Equiptment

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Old as Hell Equiptment

Post by TazManiac »

I had a broken laptop, it was serviceable but the broken hinges, when replaced w/ NOS parts broke just in the same way.

And that was OK, until it wasn't and I let some knucklehead abscond... Wait- that's not this thread, THIS thread is about the replacement laptop that's filling the gap until I get a 'real' replacement.

Its running a Pentium M processor, which is certainly only 32bit but lets just get real and call a spade a spade: It's a 386.

There are a lot of people on the planet who weren't even born yet during the heyday of the 386.

I just recently came across some surplus RAM and upgraded from 512M, yes- units in MEG,

to a maxed out 1Gig.

Let the rejoicing begin...
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Old as Hell Equiptment

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Actually, the Pentium was Intel's next architecture after the 486.

It might have been the "586", except that they wanted to differentiate it from AMD's 486 follow-on.

{I was working at American Megatrends during that period - which was founded by the same team of five Indian engineers who had, earlier, while living in a two-bedroom apartment on Buford Highway, designed the first working 386 motherboard on the dining-room table; one of them [Sukha Ghosh] worked out the basis for instruction caching...}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Re: Old as Hell Equiptment

Post by shadowinthelight »

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!