New "Middle Kingdoms" stories by Diane Duane

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

New "Middle Kingdoms" stories by Diane Duane

Post by Dave »

Well, I've just had a marvelous evening.

Apropos of nothing, I decided to check to see what author Diane Duane has been up to during the past few years. When I browsed to her web site, I learned that:
  1. She is actively working on The Door Into Starlight (the long-hoped-for fourth and final novel in her Tales of the Five series), and
  2. She has written one short story (The Levin-Gad) and a novel (The Landlady) set in the years after The Door Into Sunset and prior to The Door Into Starlight, and
  3. She plans to write three more of these interim stories in the next year or so, and
  4. I could buy and download .epub copies of these two stories, three new Young Wizard stories, and a collection of her short stories that I mostly haven't ever read, at exceptionally reasonable prices, this very evening.
So, of course, I did so, and I've spent the past hour or so reading The Levin-Gad, with great and utter enjoyment. It follows on from the events in The Door Into Sunset and touches on an interesting dilemma: when you've gone to great lengths to save the world, and the world just goes on as it had before... what do you do with the rest of your life? Let's just say that when it comes to writing thoughtful, insightful sword-and-sorcery stories full of skillful wordsmithing, Ms. Duane hasn't lost any of her marvelous touch... far from it. How do you save your loved ones, and maybe save the world again as well? You pick a fight in a bar, and behave graciously towards the cat even when the cat is decidedly rude to you. :D

New tales of Herewiss, and Sunspark, and Freelorn, and Eftgan, and Segnbora and Hasai... I've been waiting for more than 25 years for this, without all that much hope that it'd ever actually happen.

I'm very, very happy. I'm also hungry for a slab of sourdough bread which has soaked up a bunch of drippings from the big flitch of bacon roasting in the fireplace, and then been slathered with fried onions... and I have no idea where to find a bar in our universe that prepares it properly.
Just Old Al

Re: New "Middle Kingdoms" stories by Diane Duane

Post by Just Old Al »

Re: snack:

I recommend a double shot of Lipitor before you attempt that, and that would best be prepared at home, I suspect.

Farm raised bacon is a must...the store bought stuff is not going to do it. Al is fond of bread and dripping...which is the same thing with beef fat from a roast. Very good but terrible for you.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Also re: snack:

Sweet fucking Black Sabbath, I thought French Toast was gratuitous.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Just Old Al wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:57 amVery good but terrible for you.
Not as bad as the guy I knew who would take pork fatback, deep fry it in melted fat, slather it with butter, and then eat that as his meal.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:28 pm
Not as bad as the guy I knew who would take pork fatback, deep fry it in melted fat, slather it with butter, and then eat that as his meal.
Well, except for the butter...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Catawampus wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:28 pm
Sounds like what they'd serve at the local pool hall. (Rural area, outside of Houston. Typical East Texas. Yes, they had jars of pickled eggs - and pickled pig's feet)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.