Movers, i kill you filthy

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Movers, i kill you filthy

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

something*positive: After numerous delays getting his stuff, Randy begins unpacking and finds...

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Re: Movers, i kill you filthy

Post by TazManiac »

I resemble your pain;

I lived halfway up a really steep hill in Oakland CA.

I could look across the street and the steep drop-off meant I could see into the backyard of the local Cadillac Dealership (now a Whole Foods Market).

One year we were getting 'El Nino' weather and the ground water rose up enough to flood the unfinished basement, some 50 to 75 feet above sea-level.
Dave

Post by Dave »

With respect to the topic title... it's well chosen to describe the pain and wounds of moving. Randy is probably thinking "The scars... my destination!"
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:21 pm With respect to the topic title... it's well chosen to describe the pain and wounds of moving. Randy is probably thinking "The scars... my destination!"
hiss
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:42 am
Dave wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:21 pm With respect to the topic title... it's well chosen to describe the pain and wounds of moving. Randy is probably thinking "The scars... my destination!"
hiss
Hey, if you serve up an obscure reference around here, you should expect somebody to lob it back at you! :)

Or, should I say (with a jaunty wink) that this is the right forum to find the best foil for such things? :twisted:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Military overseas moves can be -- interesting. The usual method involves everything going into cardboard boxes, labeling them (Kitchen, Master Bedroom, etc), then the boxes are stacked in a plywood container about six by six by four feet wide. Tall and deep enough for furniture, but the right size to stack on a flatbed truck, and into a shipping container.

It seems one family was waiting and waiting for their shipment. Eventually they received their boxes, marked through customs, in their plywood containers, but.... all the boxes were limp, contents were mixed between boxes, and it stunk. Really, really stunk!

Blah blah insurance and tracking investigation later, it seems the shipping container fell into the harbor during loading in (asian region harbor), sunk, and was recovered after the ship finished unloading and moved away from the dock -- after reloading (a few days). The transporters, ever helpful, opened the container with customs approval, unloaded everything and put it somewhere to dry out. And then, packed it back in the original (now dry) cardboard boxes. And now to ripen for a couple weeks on the dock in the same but less muddy container which was worked into the next available shipment (another week to port), and --- so on to the waiting arms of the destined family. Nothing like dedicated service!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

But at least they got all their stuff, right?

You know, silver lining, and all that stuff?

I wonder if any of their normally averse to water items still functioned, after that (you know, having had time to properly dry out...)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

The VCR and all the tapes were done for, along with the microwave, TV, Stereo, etc. Damaged in shipment, please list all the items, paperwork paperwork,...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

We haven't used movers since around 1990 or 1991, because the last time we did, some of our NES games were stolen, along with a couple other things.

It's like the old saying goes: if you want it done right, do it yourself.

EDIT: that also happened to be when we moved from Fort Benning to Arcanum, OH. The duplex we lived in at the time is still standing.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.