Recent on-line ad

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Recent on-line ad

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

maser.jpg
maser.jpg (66.95 KiB) Viewed 14132 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Re: Recent on-line ad

Post by lake_wrangler »

Two questions:

1) What vehicle brand uses a trident as its logo?
2) Just what makes these crossovers perfect for seniors?
AnotherFairportfan

1. That's a Maserati.

2. I don't know
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That is a Maserati Levante. Starts at US$77,545. The high-end version is $171,475. It's essentially a Jeep Cherokee that got a Ferrari base engine dropped in it.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:52 am That is a Maserati Levante. Starts at US$77,545. The high-end version is $171,475. It's essentially a Jeep Cherokee that got a Ferrari base engine dropped in it.
Yep. Someone just searched "crossover" and picked an interesting-looking picture for a scam ad.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Well, if I were designing a car specifically for seniors...

* the seats would be higher than in a typical sedan, but not as high as in a typical SUV

* the seats would be more bench-like, less bucket-like

* the floor in front of the seats would be low

* the door openings would be bigger, particularly in the area of both legroom and headroom

* the steering column would unlock and flip way out of the way, up and toward the passenger side, and then easily lock back to exactly the same position (which might be adjustable, but you would NOT have to adjust after every time you unlocked it)

* a powered, sliding back-seat door on each side would be nice, so people can load and unload their own walkers

* the floor of the cargo area (trunk, or back of van/SUV) would be higher, to ease bending over and picking stuff up

* plenty of headroom over the cargo area when opened

Last summer we had to replace our car, and we rejected every van and SUV we looked at because my lady's mother would not have been able to get in and out. (So, naturally, she's now temporarily-we-hope in a wheelchair and can't get in and out of the car we bought.)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

You make very intelligent points, as to what would make a good vehicle for a senior.

Essentially, it's everything this pictured vehicle is not... :lol:
(Not to mention the price, given the brand, which would be way out of reach of a fixed-income senior... :roll: )
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:55 am You make very intelligent points, as to what would make a good vehicle for a senior.

Essentially, it's everything this pictured vehicle is not... :lol:
(Not to mention the price, given the brand, which would be way out of reach of a fixed-income senior... :roll: )
The pictured vehicle seems as if it would be appropriate for a very small subset of "seniors": those belonging to the wealthy 1% (or maybe the über-wealthy .1%), for whom price is no object, and for whom prestige and "show" are more important than actual usability.

In other words, it's for those with more dollars than sense.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

We bought a Mazda 5 minivan. Yes, I know it's currently out of production, but there are a lot out there. Sliding rear doors, not a big as a minivan, four captains chairs plus a third row bench seat.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:16 amIn other words, it's for those with more dollars than sense.
I "cents" a disturbance in the pun jar... as if millions of pennies cried out and went out of circulation... :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:47 am I "cents" a disturbance in the pun jar... as if millions of pennies cried out and went out of circulation... :P
(Dave places a few rare steel pennies into the Pun Jar, in honor of the car's steel frame)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Too bad it's all aluminum now. Your steel pennies do have more magnetism than those Maseratis though.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

The best thing that ever came out of Maserati was the Citroen SM, and it Had Problems.

Especially the one Burt Reynolds parked in the Savannah River.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:49 pm The best thing that ever came out of Maserati was the Citroen SM, and it Had Problems.

Especially the one Burt Reynolds parked in the Savannah River.
I've had cars I wanted to park in rivers.

And an old friend used to sing a ditty she sorta stole from Neil Young:

"Down by the river
I shot my Volvo"
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.