Ubuntu Studio 19.04 (Linux OS)

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Ubuntu Studio 19.04 (Linux OS)

Post by TazManiac »

(OK, so I jumped over from Here...) <--ver 18.04 got skipped right over to:

Ubuntu Studio 19.04. Code Name: Disco Dingo! https://ubuntustudio.org/2019/04/ubuntu ... -released/

Generally I am a Long Term Support release kind of guy, but just today I went ahead and blew away the 'layers of the onion' 16.04 -> 18.04 -> 18.10 -> 19.04 experiment I had been goofing around with and installed v19.04 into a clean (empty) partition, creating a new log in ID along the way.

Stuff is behaving a lot better, the Theme/Fonts/Icons are now unified like they are expected be and stuff seems pretty zippy, performance wise.

This initial entry will be expanded on in the next few days...
lake_wrangler

Re: Ubuntu Studio 19.04 (Linux OS)

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:42 pmThis initial entry will be expanded on in the next few days...
I'll hold you to that... :P

Meanwhile, I have to admit that one thing that held me back was how the Linux distros had a 6 to 9 months release cycle. Then I ran across the LTS (Long Term Support) concept. It still bugged me a little, to think that I'd have to upgrade every two years... Then I thought about it, and realized that for many years, whether because of computer upgrades, faulty hard drives, or whatever else, I had been reinstalling various iterations of Windows every three years or so anyway...

It was a gradual move, but I eventually took the dive... And I don't regret it one bit. There are still some hiccups, reasons that force me to keep Windows around, but only for those specific occasions. Linux is otherwise my daily driver (Ubuntu Studio 18.04, to be precise...)

Just for kicks, I plan on installing openSUSE (with the KDE Desktop Environment), as well as Fedora, with the Gnome DE, on separate partitions on my PC. I also plan on getting a bigger SSD for my tablet, and install Ubuntu 18.04 on it (which now has the Gnome DE by default). The reason for that is that I have read that Gnome is the better Linux DE on a touch screen (provided you install certain tools to help). I could go with Fedora, since Gnome is their default, and they back work on it, or with openSUSE, since Gnome is one of the two DE they support. But since Ubuntu now has Gnome as a default, I figured I would stick with the Linux family with which I am already familiar. I can play around on the other distros on my time, on my PC. I need to make sure the tablet is stable, and being already familiar with Ubuntu is one way to keep it that way.

If I ever can manage the time needed to install all those, that is... :roll: :lol:
Last edited by lake_wrangler on Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:54 pm
TazManiac wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:42 pmThis initial entry will be expanded on in the next few days...
expanded.jpg
expanded.jpg (23.78 KiB) Viewed 12736 times
You're welcome.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:18 pm
lake_wrangler wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:54 pm

You're welcome.
Hey! No helping him! :P
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(it's good to have friends...)

So far my old-ish laptop has been trundling along OK with the new clean build; but a few minor items bugged me and need 'tweaking' right out of the box:

- Suspend when Lid is Closed: Came back to find the Hard Drive just spinning away and the air intake blocked by just sitting on the bed. It wasn't burning up hot or anything, but still.

- 'Browse Removable Media when Inserted': turned that off.
- Same thing w/ 'Play Media When Inserted (DVD/Bluray, etc...)

It's the little things right now I'm finding I had dialed in, over the course of time, that are now reset to a default I'd forgotten about.
I still need to enable tap-to-click on the touchpad for example. Death by a Thousand Paper Cuts...

So far nothing really serious has happened, I am still installing programs in addition to the pretty deep set the 'Studio' variant of Ubuntu already comes with (Stellarium for example is a must have), and since this is a pretty old lap top, relatively speaking, I was a bit disappointed to gain no results from 'Checking for Additional Drivers'.

That last bit is actually a good thing, but still disappoints...

What can I say, I'm a Human Bean.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:18 pm

(this looks like it's printed on Monica's t-shirt...)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Just sownloaded Lubuntu 19.04; i'll be installing it tonight on the new box i built over the weekend.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

The look and feel I'm defaulting to is too soft and pastel-y for my liking: it looks too cell-phone like.

That and I still get forms to fill out (web site URL in Firefox for example) and it renders as white on white- you'd think you hadn't type anything at all.

I may well start reporting bugs if this keeps up (I should have been already and all the time, but...)

edit & PS-

Here is a Forbes (of all 'people') article from January with a somewhat hopeful outlook on the then upcoming 19.04, inc some background/behind the scenes info...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... creatives/

PPS- I switched my default Icon set from the default to Elemental and was immediately much happier. I'm currently on Elemental XFCE, worlds better look n' feel.
AnotherFairportfan

The Lubuntu install went more smoothly and trouble-free than any Linux install i've ever done before.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

FPF, have you ever Googled the phrase 'things to do after installing Lubuntu 19.04' ?

In the Olden Days, having the list of "Now what do I do?" was very helpful.
It's less of a must-do these days because a lot of the essentials are already taken care of, but there are a lot of lists of the next things to install and/or configure, following the initial Install.

An example: https://fossbytes.com/things-to-do-afte ... ng-ubuntu/

Now, granted that one focuses on plain vanilla Ubuntu, w/ it's Gnome interface (instead of Lubuntu's LXFE [?] or Studio/Xubuntu's XFCE), so it need a grain of salt while perusing the instructions, but I'd suppose 1-10, plus 13 & 16 would be OK to cover most of the basics.

There is absolutely going to be a better, more specific example to be had, that was just a quick flip of the Google-Fu; and besides ver 19.04 of the OSes has just come out, it'll need time for these online authors to update their instructions...
AnotherFairportfan

Oh, yeah - i'm aware of those sorts of pages from previous flirting with -buntus
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

What to do after installing any linux.

Install ssh
install vim-nox (which, stupidly enough, now requires _ruby_ of all things)
dpkg-reconfigure dash, to put bash _back_ as the shell of choice
install thunderbird, firefox, chrome remote desktop, anydesk
install proftpd

Copy over all settings from old machine

(Corrected mistyping due to writing while waiting for daughter to get hair brushed for school. Not used to getting up at 6 am after getting to bed after midnight)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

heh heh, you said 'do do'... :D