Chutzpah

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Chutzpah

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

The best way to explain the Popeyes/Bojangles' duality is to explain that Popeyes came first, and the best comparison i can draw is that Popeyes is Dr Pepper and Bojangles' is Mr Pibb.
dp_mp.jpg
dp_mp.jpg (115.4 KiB) Viewed 13565 times
That billboard has been there for years.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Re: Chutzpah

Post by lake_wrangler »

I remember a time when, in Québec City, Popeye's was a burger joint...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I remember a time when Popeye was a sailor, man.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:12 am I remember a time when Popeye was a sailor, man.
For quite a while the chicken restaurant licensed the Thimble Theater characters {Popeye, Olive, Wimpy...}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

That's okay. In the US, there's Little Caesar's pizza, with a motto of "Pizza! Pizza!".

In Ontario, there's Pizza! Pizza! pizza. Apparently they worked out the trademark argument with just an agreement that they wouldn't expand into each other's markets.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Alkarii wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:12 am I remember a time when Popeye was a sailor, man.
Ya wouldn't think he was a cowboy. 8-)

But then there's this one:

"What time do y'all go to church?"
"Hell, we don't go to Church. We go to Popeyes!" :D
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I've heard of Bojangles (as in MISTER), but never as a brand name for anything.

Popeye's Chicken otoh, they have two piece Tuesdays, a decent 'beans & rice' side dish, and I flip back and forth over them and 'Church's chicken'...

PS- I just rebooted following a complete power loss and the 'as yet unsent text' of this post was right here waiting for me when I rebooted.

PPS- I miss Flints and esp Dougies Bar-B-Q. <sigh>
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 am That billboard has been there for years.
True... but the restaurant it refers to had actually burned down in a terrible grease-fryer explosion, almost as long ago.

The billboard had been kept up by the owner of that particular Popeyes franchise, as a memorial to what she felt was an honorable competitor.

I guess she missed her Bojangle's.
AnotherFairportfan

>>bleah<<
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:33 pm Popeye's Chicken otoh, they have two piece Tuesdays, a decent 'beans & rice' side dish, and I flip back and forth over them and 'Church's chicken'...
For a few years, Popeyes and Church's were subsidiaries of AFC {America's Finest Chicken}...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bookworm wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:52 pm That's okay. In the US, there's Little Caesar's pizza, with a motto of "Pizza! Pizza!".

In Ontario, there's Pizza! Pizza! pizza. Apparently they worked out the trademark argument with just an agreement that they wouldn't expand into each other's markets.
I actually worked as a pizza delivery driver for Pizza Pizza, for a couple of years... And they have moved into the province of Québec, a few years ago now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Popeye's and Bojangles were part of the rush of fast-food restaurants that tried to compete with McDonald's and KFC in the early 1970's. Popeye's only kept up by posturing as a Louisiana Cajun-flavor restaurant, while Bojangles... well, I'm not sure what their deal was, but it worked in the region of the US where they were popular.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

The best fast-food chicken I've had was at a Popeye's in east Texas.

The worst fast-food chicken I've had was also at a Popeye's in east Texas.

Quality control in that chain is not up to snuff.
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:46 pm Popeye's and Bojangles were part of the rush of fast-food restaurants that tried to compete with McDonald's and KFC in the early 1970's. Popeye's only kept up by posturing as a Louisiana Cajun-flavor restaurant, while Bojangles... well, I'm not sure what their deal was, but it worked in the region of the US where they were popular.
Popeyes IS a Cajun-flavour restaurant; they pretty much ran KFC out of New Orleans for most of the 1980s; they originated in the NOLa suburb of Arabi in 1972.

================

By the way - Guess what fast-food chain has the most locations?

Nope - Not McDonalds.

Nope - not Starbucks
► Show Spoiler
{Bojangles' is tied for 82nd, behind Zaxby's; Popeye's is 25th.