Request for a flavour.

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Bookworm

Request for a flavour.

Post by Bookworm »

Could one or two of you attempt to create additional users on the forum, and post up your experience? It's been weirdly quiet since I added a recaptcha, and I'm wondering if there's a problem I'm not seeing.

Thanks

BW
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Warrl

Re: Request for a flavour.

Post by Warrl »

I usually use the PaleMoon browser, so I skipped over to Iron and tried to register as "testdummy673"

Result: Unfortunately we can not process your request now due to problems with an external party. You can try again later.

Retrying (twice) got the same result.

A couple more tries and I got a general SQL error about too many connections. May be related or may be a different problem.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I tried, entered the kaptcha, and failed. Noticed three things:
  • "Password: Must be between characters and characters" - something is misconfigured with the password length information as it didn't say what the limits are.
  • Many of the registration attempts failed with an SQL overload problem (too many connections). I've been seeing this all day, on a lot of page accesses on the forum, not just when registering.
  • All of the other registration attempts failed, saying that there was a problem with an external party (maybe the kaptcha validator?) and to try again later.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I ran across that SQL error last night right after hitting the 'submit' button, and then jumping back to the quick-link 'Unread posts'.

In fact, just this minuet, as I try the 'Preview' function I recreated it yet again.
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
And I copy'd the following info at the time:
Who is online

In total there are 33 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 634 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:26 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], TazManiac
Legend: Administrators, Global moderators
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I can't even get to the page to try starting making a new account, constantly getting the

"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
Too many connections [1040]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists."

message that everybody else has mentioned. I might try again later.

Edit:

Okay, I just managed to get into the registration process, filled everything out, hit the "submit" button, and got a message at the top of the screen reading, "Unfortunately we can not process your request now due to problems with an external party. You can try again later."

I also saw the problem Dave mentioned about the missing character requirement.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Thanks. Looks like two different issues going on - the sql thing is something else, which I'll work on later. I wonder why I didn't get the errors about external party myself.

I'll reset everythingl
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Board has been acting strange as of late when trying to just access the board. In fact, when I initially clicked on this thread in the "Unread Posts" list, it gave me a weird error (which I can't replicate since I was on my iPad at the time, sorry).
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I've been working on the server off and on for the last hour or so.

The StopForumSpam plugin is apparently somehow dependent on SSL, and I can't find any clear information about it, so I've just removed it for now.

The lockups earlier were that someone hacked someone's email on the system, and was sending out huge amounts of garbage. That's been cleaned up for now, and they'll have to ask me for the new password :)

I then updated the board from 3.2.3 to 3.2.5.