Comfy Couch of Confusion 2.0 (3.0?)

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Comfy Couch of Confusion 2.0 (3.0?)

Post by TheDOCTOR »

I hope I'm not causing any problems here,I mean that is the LAST thing I would want to do, But I would like to know if anyone whoever visited the mentioned Couch has heard anything at all. I wondered if there were plans of its return, or If someone new has taken over, planning to or will. I heard some chatter a while back but nothing definite and I thought it would be really cool if we could "Get The Band back together" as it were. Just sayin'.
Atomic

Re: Comfy Couch of Confusion 2.0 (3.0?)

Post by Atomic »

Looks like it's still owned by Sedoparking.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I’m not involved with any of it, but last I heard, since Jim’s passing, it was taken over by a blackhat and pumped full of nasties or something?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I know nothing about it. Or even what you're discussing :)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Geez, I'd forgotten about his website. :( And it hasn't even been a year.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Not to stack ghastly upon somber, but we all will be passing eventually - do your documents include instructions on winding down your web presence? Sounds like a potential business model like funeral societies, etc.
  • The_Last_Click.com - Web services for the dearly departed. Browser history adjustments included.

My Deviant Art scribbles
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Atomic wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:31 am Not to stack ghastly upon somber, but we all will be passing eventually - do your documents include instructions on winding down your web presence? Sounds like a potential business model like funeral societies, etc.
  • The_Last_Click.com - Web services for the dearly departed. Browser history adjustments included.
I've thought about it. The problem is that you'd have to somehow hold onto at least one or two passwords that could be released somehow. That kind of site would be absolutely ripe for non-stop hack attempts to gather every site, every account, forum membership, etc that someone has. Even without passwords (say you keep those offline -and- updated), that's a treasure trove for Russ.. sorry, criminals.

Then, how does the site know that you've been kacked?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 pm I've thought about it. The problem is that you'd have to somehow hold onto at least one or two passwords that could be released somehow. That kind of site would be absolutely ripe for non-stop hack attempts to gather every site, every account, forum membership, etc that someone has. Even without passwords (say you keep those offline -and- updated), that's a treasure trove for Russ.. sorry, criminals.

Then, how does the site know that you've been kacked?
I'd think that the thing to do would be to store the instructions, and a "credential kit" (IDs and passwords), in encrypted form, with the necessary decryption key being held as part of your personal records (e.g. on a flash disk, in your "Open this in case I spontaneously catch fire some day" envelope). The decryption key would be provided to the "close things down gracefully" contract service by your executor.

I've been keeping all of my login credentials stored as GPG-encrypted email messages to myself, in a special folder. With any of several computers here (that have the encrypted private key on them) and my passphrase (which can go in a letter-to-a-lawyer), an executor could gain access to all of those accounts and close things down.

Been meaning to write a script to generate a nice, conscise printed version of all of this (sorted and indexed) on demand, so I can print it in advance and put it in our fire safe along with my will and Advance Medical Directive and so forth. Seems like a great use for one of the days-off over the upcoming holidays,
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:20 am Been meaning to write a script to generate a nice, conscise printed version of all of this (sorted and indexed) on demand, so I can print it in advance and put it in our fire safe along with my will and Advance Medical Directive and so forth. Seems like a great use for one of the days-off over the upcoming holidays,
Back when I was using Dreamweaver to build site stuff, there was a function that would walk through -all- links in the subset of whatever you were working on, and report dead links. It would even work for the Root of the site, if you wanted to wait all day while it check x zillion of menu choices, etc.

If someone did start a service, it would be very useful to occasionally challenge/check the sites listed to test for password changes and de-activations. That could be something like the Credit Safe overwatch services out there. Two birds, one service?

And it would have to be secure as all get out as well, vs an old P3 system in somebody's closet...

My Deviant Art scribbles
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Like hell I’m letting Equifax anywhere near my passwords.

Not only did they create a problem with bad programming or whatever, they hid it until it was a major problem that had been taken advantage of, and then they offered up a “free service” that had an auto-renewal that would charge you if you forgot to cancel within one month... aka they sold the “solution” to the problem they made.

F them and F all debt in general. If it wasn’t for the stupid fact that employers look at credit (which really seems like bull crap), I would have hard-frozen everything a long time ago. I don’t use credit cards and I have one loan that I didn’t want but was pressured into by my parents “because I need the experience.”

Of what? Losing money every month?

Long story short, credit bureaus should not touch anything else. They’re dangerously important enough as it is, the last thing we need is them expanding or becoming tied to yet another thing. For all we know, they’ll start using my browser history to rip my credit score to shreds.

So nah - either it’s fully and absolutely independent, and based in a country that actually recognizes privacy as a basic human right and therefore not accessible to the government without a tooth-and-nail legal fight, or I won’t have any of it.

I have a paper copy of passwords and usernames in a very strong physical safe, and a very close friend with a key to it. I’ll stick to that.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:08 am I have a paper copy of passwords and usernames in a very strong physical safe, and a very close friend with a key to it. I’ll stick to that.
That should work just as well. At least you're thought through the issue and done something effective to deal with it responsibly... I'd guess that most people never even do the first part at all.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

What I explain to customers is this.

Create a spreadsheet. On the spreadsheet, put in the sites you have accounts, the name of your login, the email address associated with it, and a number that corresponds to a password. Separately, preferably on a physical medium, have a list of passwords, but all they should have next to them is the letter or number shown on the spreadsheet.

When you're forced to change a password, find every site with that password number/letter, and change them to match the new password. Periodically print out a copy of the spreadsheet for your files, with a separate folder for the passwords. That way, someone has to physically enter your home in order to have a hope of stealing from you, yet in case of final failure, someone can shut the accounts down.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:36 pm What I explain to customers is this.

Create a spreadsheet. On the spreadsheet, put in the sites you have accounts, the name of your login, the email address associated with it, and a number that corresponds to a password. Separately, preferably on a physical medium, have a list of passwords, but all they should have next to them is the letter or number shown on the spreadsheet.
One might also want to list the various security questions and answers used on a given site. This information might go along with the password, or on a third set of media.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ah yes, security questions...
  • Grandmother's shoe size
  • Name of your first Goldfish
  • Dog's blood type
  • Middle name of the person who sat behind you in Third Grade

My Deviant Art scribbles
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Atomic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:18 pm Ah yes, security questions...
  • Dog's blood type
those would be more useful than the ones they always ask, which can be found relatively easily. "What was the name of your elementary school". "What is your mother's maiden name". "What's your father's middle name". With social media, "What's the name of your favourite pet" becomes easier too.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

The problem,of course, is they didn't specify which grandmother...

My Deviant Art scribbles
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Atomic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:18 pm Ah yes, security questions...
  • Dog's blood type
I don't know the answers to any of those questions.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:52 pm The problem,of course, is they didn't specify which grandmother...
And the solution of the problem is to lie your head off. Have a different "grandmother" for every site that asks you this question. Pick names out of the 1957 phone book from Budapest, or from historical records of the Siberian nomads who were greatly inconvenienced by the Tunguska explosion, or something like that.

Of course, you have to keep a list of which bogus names you've given to which sites... it's basically a password list at that point... but at least nobody will be able to figure out your answers from your public history.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Or, use standard answers, just enter them in a mix of Cyrillic, Korean, and Kanji!

My Deviant Art scribbles
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:11 am Or, use standard answers, just enter them in a mix of Cyrillic, Korean, and Kanji!
Ah, but if you do that, the "I am not a robot" captcha system may insist on taking a blood sample so that it can confirm your ancestry.

After that, you'd be committed to having your phone's fingerprint scanner stick you with a needle each time you want to unlock the screen. Convenient if you're a diabetic and have to finger-stick yourself to do your glucose measurements anything, but less so otherwise.

It's probably better to tell the system that your mother's maiden name is

Code: Select all

Smith'); DROP TABLE Customers;--