L.A.'s 'Sports Equinox'

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

L.A.'s 'Sports Equinox'

Post by TazManiac »

I think this is kinda' cool, but why is it a 'equinox'? (Stonehenge, Pyramid, 'Indiana Jones' references?)

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/10/27/los-a ... -nba-games

With the Dodgers' Friday night win over the Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles forced a Game 5 on Sunday, Oct. 28. The win means another home game for the Dodgers, who started the series with two losses at Fenway Park, but it also means that the city of Los Angeles gets to make history by hosting the first-ever sports equinox.

The term refers to the alignment of all five major U.S. professional sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and MLS) playing games on the same day in the same city. According to Elias Sports Bureau, a true equinox has never happened before in the history of U.S. sports.

If you thought Friday night's 18-inning World Series game was a marathon, get ready for Los Angeles's Sunday sports schedule.

The Kings take on the New York Rangers at 3:30 p.m. ET, the Rams host the Packers at 4:25 p.m. ET, the MLS's Galaxy take on the Dynamo at 4:30 p.m. ET, the Dodgers face the Red Sox in Game 5 at 8:15 p.m. ET and — last but certainly not least — the Clippers tip off against the Wizards at 9:30 p.m. ET back in the Staples Center, where the marathon sports day will begin.

Several of the games are slated to overlap due to start time, but Los Angeles sports fans will still have plenty to watch the entire afternoon and well into the evening, if Friday's World Series game was any indication.
Dave

Re: L.A.'s 'Sports Equinox'

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:32 am I think this is kinda' cool, but why is it a 'equinox'? (Stonehenge, Pyramid, 'Indiana Jones' references?)
Several of the games are slated to overlap due to start time, but Los Angeles sports fans will still have plenty to watch the entire afternoon and well into the evening, if Friday's World Series game was any indication.
I agree, it doesn't seem as though that's the right term. "Equinox" quite explicitly refers to the equality of two opposed quantities, and that's not what is happening here.

The correct term is obvious.

Consider the plight of the sports-pub owners, on that particular day. They're certain to be swamped with customers, but there's going to be serious competition over just which TV screens in what parts of the pub are tuned into which games (and pregame specials and postgame celebrations or wakes).

With all of these events and people coming together in the pubs, it's clearly a Barmonic Convergence.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yeah I saw that. Six of LA's eight major sports teams will all be playing at home today. As if the nightmare traffic wasn't bad enough.

(The Angels and the Chargers are not playing, as obviously the Angels failed to make the MLB playoffs and the Chargers are on the bye week this weekend.)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:01 pm With all of these events and people coming together in the pubs, it's clearly a Barmonic Convergence.
I thought Callahan's Place was out on Long Island somewhere. Is it moving in space now? :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The final carnage:
  • Kings 4, Rangers 3
  • Sharks 4, Ducks 3
  • Rams 29, Packers 27
  • Red Sox 5, Dodgers 1
  • Clippers 136, Wizards 104
  • Dynamo 3, Galaxy 2
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:01 pm
TazManiac wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:32 am I think this is kinda' cool, but why is it a 'equinox'? (Stonehenge, Pyramid, 'Indiana Jones' references?)
I agree, it doesn't seem as though that's the right term. "Equinox" quite explicitly refers to the equality of two opposed quantities, and that's not what is happening here.

The correct term is obvious.

Consider the plight of the sports-pub owners, on that particular day. They're certain to be swamped with customers, but there's going to be serious competition over just which TV screens in what parts of the pub are tuned into which games (and pregame specials and postgame celebrations or wakes).

With all of these events and people coming together in the pubs, it's clearly a Barmonic Convergence.
The Brick House Tavern and Tap wouldn't have an issue. It had at least 16 different TV's, and every one could be tuned to something different.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

jwhouk wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:56 pm Yeah I saw that. Six of LA's eight major sports teams will all be playing at home today. As if the nightmare traffic wasn't bad enough.

(The Angels and the Chargers are not playing, as obviously the Angels failed to make the MLB playoffs and the Chargers are on the bye week this weekend.)
I hadnt thought about the Angels, and certainly forgot about the Chargers, but in another aspect- both sports were represented...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I did forget that one other LA sports team was playing Sunday, but that was in Kansas City (LAFC vs. Sporting KC).