Call for Moderators

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Bookworm

Call for Moderators

Post by Bookworm »

Normally, I'd choose a moderator by what I've observed on the forum. Unfortunately, I haven't been actively around (I've been around, and I respond to messages, but I haven't been really active on the forum), so I only have a modicum of understanding of who has been around.

I've sent contact emails off to the original mods, but only one has responded so far. I don't know how eager he'd be to be active again.

So, with Wapsi having the ultimate veto, I'd like a short list of people that you'd think would be good mods. You can volunteer yourself, but I'd appreciate someone else following up on it. (and if you've BEEN nominated, I'd like you to mention if you are interested or not).

Being a moderator, however, will not be an onerous job.

Basically, it's approving posts for people with less than 5 posts (to reduce spammer activity), answering questions, and whacking people lightly if they start going off the rails. Unlike other forums, 'You irritated <insert name here>" will never be a reason to ban or restrict anyone.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Re: Call for Moderators

Post by Dave »

Some active folks I would suggest (with no prejudice against any I don't mention here) would be Al, TazManiac, Atomic, AnotherFairportFan, GlytchMeister, and old Sgt. Greg.

The fact that none of them have yet actually attempted to have my sense of humor assassinated (with me as possible collateral damage) speaks very well of their fairness and tolerance.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I’d be interested so long as it’s not gonna be too much - I can essentially just add it to the activity I already have here. A lot of times I check in and nothing has happened, so now I’ll have a little something to do.

I do, however, already foresee situations where I will need someone impartial to moderate in certain situations in lieu of myself, due to previous interactions. So I can’t be the only one. I am willing to submit a list of conflicts of interest.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm going to thank Dave for the mention & nominate myself for the 'Plan B Brigade'.

I try and get online to at least check email once a day but while sometimes I'm in Northern Silicon Valley, other times I'm 'Off the Grid', literally.
(There aren't even any Over the Air TV signals to be had...)

It means that making things that require a full time online presence a commitment, a difficult thing to accomplish.

What I can do though is fill in when an A-Team Member is 'on Vacation' for whatever reason.

lmk,
TazManiac
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Honored to be considered and would like to know more! Not exactly one to live on line (several days may pass) but will respond to clear goals and all that.

PS - Dave - My Auto Assassin SassyBot 3000 isn't back from the shop yet, so you still have some time to flee before I turn it lose on you. Something about a jammed Turbo Encabulator and other warranty items. Silly thing is on it's fourth (!) recall service. Almost a bad as my old Pontiac Fiero. Anyway, just fair warning.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Atomic wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:21 pm Honored to be considered and would like to know more! Not exactly one to live on line (several days may pass) but will respond to clear goals and all that.

PS - Dave - My Auto Assassin SassyBot 3000 isn't back from the shop yet, so you still have some time to flee before I turn it lose on you. Something about a jammed Turbo Encabulator and other warranty items. Silly thing is on it's fourth (!) recall service. Almost a bad as my old Pontiac Fiero. Anyway, just fair warning.
You need to stop forgetting to lube the interociter on a regular basis.

Well, as I said, mostly the moderator job will be approving/disapproving posts, and letting me know who to nuke - and talk to people. :)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 amYou need to stop forgetting to lube the interociter on a regular basis.
And, you must throw out the interlocks (but only during those awkward pauses in the conversation).

Last, but not least - remember that it is very important not to lesnerize.

I'm quite willing to help out with moderation and education, on the sorts of terms you've described (I have no desire at all to play heavy-handed... this is way too fine a community here to mess up, and it's one of the most remarkably civil online gatherings I see anywhere these days). I'm online most days, except when traveling on vacation.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Oh - well, yes then!

And I have an old can of interociter lube around here someplace. The old Hallicrafters kit had a few bits left over, and ... well, you know how that goes. Save them for the next project ... and the one after...

My Deviant Art scribbles
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

I'm in if needed.

Re: Interosciter lube: Be careful, repeated expsure to that stuff makes your frontal lobes grow and your hair recede.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Just Old Al wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:20 am Re: Interosciter lube: Be careful, repeated expsure to that stuff makes your frontal lobes grow and your hair recede.
Too late, alas...

My Deviant Art scribbles
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Aaanyway

I’ll second Dave’s recommendations, as well as nominate him as well. He’s here pretty often, he’s got a brain between his ears, and a side from a plethora of truly hideous puns, he hasn’t put a toe out of line so far as I know.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

By the bye - Dave, you'll find some extra permissions lying around.

Don't break anything important :)

BW
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yoiks! Well, I am indeed honored!

I'll go chase down the current phpBB documentation and give it a read over the next couple of weeks, to make sure that if I accidentally shoot anything at all it'll be my own foot rather than anything important hereabouts.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I might bump you down to mod, but right now, you're an admin. I think I'm going to be excessively busy this week, and I removed the anti-spam plugin, so there might be more scumbags signing up.

We need some more life in the forum.
Dave

Post by Dave »

A-OK to all of that! I will be in the road a fair bit through the next week or so, but should have online access through most of the time and will keep my eye on the forums and the moderation queue.

What's your preferred response to spammy postings? Just leave the posting in the moderation queue, or reject/delete it? For the user involved... ignore for now, warn, ban, ban IP?

(I realize that taunting, and ballistically-launched cows are counterproductive. Now, if we could manage to construct a large wooden badger-trap...)
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Right now, I have it set so that new users have to have the first five posts moderated. That's enough to figure out if they're garbage or real people. If it's borderline, warn and let through, if it's straight spam, delete and banhammer.

Considering my avatar is a badger... Not sure I like the idea of badger traps. Unless you intend to trap them in with me.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:14 pm Considering my avatar is a badger... Not sure I like the idea of badger traps. Unless you intend to trap them in with me.
Hee hee hee. Please do consider saving at least their fingertips... we can feed those to the wolverines. :twisted:

I've got no sympathy for scammers, spammers, and authors or users of malware.