Something

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Something

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

devilqr.jpg
devilqr.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 15494 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Re: Something

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
devilqr.jpg
*snort*

That specific QR code doesn't really fit with the extra image...
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
devilqr.jpg
*snort*

That specific QR code doesn't really fit with the extra image...
I was just playing around to see how much i could fit into a QR and how much of the middle i could knock out without defeating the redundancy, and Devil Emily was an easily available image that could be reduced to a fairly small size and still be recognisable...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

And you probably didn't really expect someone to grab a barcode scanner and read it...

... that's just one more thing that a several-million-dollars-in-1980, off-the-shelf-in-2018 smartphone can do.
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:And you probably didn't really expect someone to grab a barcode scanner and read it...

... that's just one more thing that a several-million-dollars-in-1980, off-the-shelf-in-2018 smartphone can do.
Of course i did.
AnotherFairportfan

CRAY - 1:

Manufacturer Cray Research
Designer Seymour Cray
Release date 1975

Units sold Over 80

Price $7.9 million (1977)

Casing Dimensions Height : 196 cm (77 in)
Dia. (base) : 263 cm (104 in)
Dia. (columns) : 145 cm (57 in)
Weight 5.5 tons (Cray-1A)
Power 115 kW @ 208 V 400 Hz

System Front-end Data General Eclipse
Operating system COS & UNICOS
CPU 64-bit processor @ 80 MHz
Memory 8.39 Megabytes (up to 1 048 576 words)
Storage 303 Megabytes (DD19 Unit)
FLOPS 160 MFLOPS
Dave

Post by Dave »

In its time, it was indeed a god-like computer, feat of Cray.

(Dave places a CDC 6400 machine-language reference manual into the Pun Jar.)

(It was the first computer machine/assembly language I ever learned, back in high school in '71 or so. The CDC 6400 was a predecessor to the Cray. Its FORTRAN compiler could print out a listing of your FORTRAN program, with the resulting assembly language code interspersed... this was a wonderful tool for learning how machine language was actually used.)
Last edited by Dave on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: The CDC 6400 was a predecessor to the Cray.
Dave, I used to fix 6600s....back when fixing a computer required machinist's skills as well as electronic engineering.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

*looks around in bewilderment*

Did I fall through time, again? Goddamnit, now I gotta find the crack... damn Heterodynes.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

And it isn't just that an ordinary smartphone is a computer that would have blown minds in 1980...

It has a pretty impressive set of other equipment, and what that equipment can do with the appropriate software...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote:*looks around in bewilderment*

Did I fall through time, again? Goddamnit, now I gotta find the crack... damn Heterodynes.
No, you just hang around with old techies...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

In Bob Asprin's Phule's Company (the beginning of the series), Phule is an ultra-wealthy individual, probably one of the top dozen or so most wealthy individuals in a multi-system galactic civilization. He has a device he calls a 'port-a-brain' which can be used to remotely do research and contact companies and place orders, yet fits in the palm of your hand. However, this device was so fantastically expensive that they are only eight in current use, two of which are owned by him and his butler respectively.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

“I have a device that can access the entirety of human knowledge and can fit in my pocket. I use it primarily to view moving pictures of cats.”
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:Dave, I used to fix 6600s....back when fixing a computer required machinist's skills as well as electronic engineering.
Neat! Some of those systems would have required that one be a plumber, as well... water cooling, or even Fluorinert.

The real challenge would have been to work at Bletchley Park, on the very early, very-special-purpose computers that were used to break the German Enigma cipher system. That job would have been the bombe!
GlytchMeister wrote:“I have a device that can access the entirety of human knowledge and can fit in my pocket. I use it primarily to view moving pictures of cats.”
It is good that a man pays proper attention to the behavior of our feline masters.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: The real challenge would have been to work at Bletchley Park, on the very early, very-special-purpose computers that were used to break the German Enigma cipher system. That job would have been the bombe!
Or been a baker - you could have been the bombe either way.

{Deposits several layer cakes in the Pun Jar to cover dave's true historical stinker}
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Just Old Al wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:*looks around in bewilderment*

No, you just hang around with old techies...
Dude.

Trying to explain the difference between a Kaypro & a Morrow computer to the general Berkeley populace, so you can sell them a used one & years later able to order discreet components from Apple, as an Authorized Service Vendor, and soldering directly on Apple IIe motherboards... And they would actually work after I was finished!

Them were da days...

(Oh and talking of Cell Phones; actually 'programming' the chip burner to set the new owner's phone number the day after the service had been payed for.)

"You'll be able to pick up your newly activated phone... Tomorrow!"

"So Soon?",

"yep! it's a brand new day in Technology!"
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Watch Out! You might get cut by the Bleeding Edge!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Have you tried the Retr0bright formula?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Lovely! An Apple ][ (e?), a Apple 2c (right), and a Apple 2GS (back left). How well I remember avoiding the twin dual fail drives...

As for the lovely Cray beasties, back in the mid 80s, I worked at the Air Force Global Weather Center at Offutt AFB, Nebraska, south of Omaha. The computer center had glass walls to proudly show off their Cray, and the two IBM mainframes feeding it, and the 20 10MB disk drives(removable 5 platter stacks) shaking and wobbling like spin cycle washing machines (which is about their size) with a blinky light on top showing you they were READING or WRITING as they did their things.

Not exactly the control center of The Time Tunnel, but fun to watch.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

*shudders*

Washing machine-sized drives that wobbled like washing machines.

*shakes head*
I'm too much!