Ubuntu Studio 18.04

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: Ubuntu Studio 18.04

Post by TazManiac »

True, true. And to append that, you can partition said bootable flash drive and point the persistence at that second, many-Gigabyte space.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:09 pm True, true. And to append that, you can partition said bootable flash drive and point the persistence at that second, many-Gigabyte space.
Interesting concept... I never thought of that. That sure would be more convenient than a mere 2 to 5 GB space max that you get with regular persistence (at least, I think that's how much they let you have...)
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

lake_wrangler wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:55 am
Warrl wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:21 am Typically with a "live" installation you actually can install and update anything you want... but it goes away when you shut down, because it doesn't actually change the installation on the media.

(So the installations that require a reboot - which is pretty rare with Linux - don't work.)
Although some (all?) Ubuntu LiveCD install can be set to have "persistence": when you first set up the USB key, with whichever program you chose to do so, you have an option to set a few MB for persistence, which allows you to install stuff on the LiveCD that will remain, the next time you use the USB LiveCD to boot your system.
I wasn't going to get into Persistence. Especially if you have a YUMI drive, it's not worth it.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Before upgrading from Ubuntu Studio 16.04 to 18.04, I used a command which I had found on the internet, to create a list of all the programs installed on my system, in order to restore them later:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --get-selections > installed-applications.txt
After the failed upgrade and the new install, I used the follow up commands in order to install all my programs back:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --set-selections < installed-applications.txt
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
Unfortunately, it gave me a bunch of errors, and aborted.

So I redid the first command, to make a new file, with the programs that were installed on my new installation. Then I looked into the diff command, but figured it would be rather cumbersome to work with.
Screenshot_2019-03-17_22-39-45.png
Screenshot_2019-03-17_22-39-45.png (38.56 KiB) Viewed 11992 times

So instead, I used another program which I found on the internet, called "Meld". It gives a graphical front end to the diff command. It makes for a very neat way to compare two files:
Screenshot_2019-03-17_22-38-40.png
Screenshot_2019-03-17_22-38-40.png (175.2 KiB) Viewed 11992 times

So, being the stubborn anal retentive kind of guy I am, I went and followed the differences outlined by this program, and went into the Synaptic package manager, following the All rubric, and went through the whole list (took me two weekends, although I did watch Netflix at the same time) to make sure everything was installed.
Screenshot_2019-03-17_22-55-23.png
Screenshot_2019-03-17_22-55-23.png (146.17 KiB) Viewed 11992 times
(I also did take time to stop and look at other entries in Synaptic, and installed a few board games along the way...)

So now, I have everything reinstalled that I needed reinstalled. I can go on living... (Yeah, I know... Drama, much?)

Now, I just need to reconfigure all my software, however long that takes...

I also will be installing another Linux distro on my system, so I can fall back to it, should something happen to my first one, instead of running a distro on a USB key, at a much slower pace, in order to fix whatever happened to the first distro. And, once I get my income tax refund, I will buy a larger SSD for my Dell Latitude 5285 2-in-1 tablet (currently running Win 10 exclusively), and install a Linux distro on that, as well.

All in all, still plenty of stuff to do, which is why I never like upgrading a system (or installing a new one), because the setting up and configuring afterwards takes ever so long...

[Edited to correct the software name "Meld" from the original "Weld"...]
Last edited by lake_wrangler on Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

On an 8-gig stick, i think you could set up four {maybe five} gig for persistence... The Lubuntu stick i made yesterday has 3 gig.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's a page detailing the Diff command, as well as the Meld program, which I referred to earlier.

[Edited to add a forgotten link, instead of no link, which then would point to the top of the page...]
Last edited by lake_wrangler on Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

New News: ver. 18.04 is being updated to an LTS long term support Release & ver. 19.04 is now out and out of beta status...

https://ubuntustudio.org/2019/04/ubuntu ... -released/.

edit-

Oops, 18.04 isn't really getting LTS status after all, but it is getting Extended Support through a new backport repository.

That said, it also bears mentioning that the groovy ol ver 16.04 it's reaching End of Life this month.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

OK, I have successfully Upgraded, in place, from Ubuntu Studio ver 16.04 to 19.04 over the course of some hours tonight.

It was pretty (so far) a painless event, but it was pretty long in terms of time and it needed to be done like this:

First I deactivated any 3rd party Repositories I had previously added and reran the:

$ sudo apt update command to reset the list of apps and 'stuff that goes with apps' back to a more generic set of items.

Then I ran this command:

$ sudo do-release-upgrade

I was able to make use of a high-speed Internet connection but even so I have a longer-in-the-tooth laptop (4 core i-5, more than five years old...), and so this first part seemed to take about 90 mins to download and un-compact and install & configure.

That gor me from 16.04 to v 18.04. So, rinse & repeat:

That got me to v 18.10,
the min ver needed to get to 19.04 using the 'install over the top of an existing ver' process.

(I chose to do the upgrade this way, instead of a Clean Install from scratch, on purpose...)

Rinse & Repeat: $ sudo do-release-upgrade

got me to Ubuntu Studio 19.04. Finally.
It's just 11pm, I think I started this around 7pm, maybe 6:30...

The Icons and default Fonts have changed, but over all the differences, on the face of things, are subtle.

I'd still sugest doing a Clean Install from a bootable media (USB or DVD installer...), and I still might, but overall it's been OK. Time will tell, but the main thing i notice is something I was hoping would be 'fixed' was a menu glitch, that I think I caused to be honest, where a whole category was deleted (Media playback).

I'd assumed reinstalling the OS would reset the menus to a 'fresh install config', but- nah. VLC & SMPlayer, et al are still there, but they used to live in a sub-menu all their own, and that menu has been deleted.

In any case, no data seemed to have been lost, my silly way of upgrading actually worked, and the old ver (16.04) is due to be End-of-Life'd in a few days, so...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

PS- Not directly related to the Upgrade process, I found a solution to my 'Why are whole menu Categories now Missing?' issue:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/795431/ ... try-disapp

I installed an app called ALACARTE and used it's 'restore default menu' button to do just that. peasy-easy.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

TazManiac wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:02 pm New News: ver. 18.04 is being updated to an LTS long term support Release & ver. 19.04 is now out and out of beta status...

https://ubuntustudio.org/2019/04/ubuntu ... -released/.

edit-

Oops, 18.04 isn't really getting LTS status after all, but it is getting Extended Support through a new backport repository.

That said, it also bears mentioning that the groovy ol ver 16.04 it's reaching End of Life this month.
Double oops:
Bionic Beaver 18.04

This is the latest LTS-based regular release, which we (the Ubuntu Studio team) will be supporting until April 2021 with the Ubuntu Studio Backports PPA. The Backports PPA must be added to receive this extended support which would otherwise have ended January 2019.
Seems it IS LTS now, but HAS to have the Backport Repository to be able to BE LTS...
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Fun times for me.

I need to completely rebuild the hosting servers - They've been upgraded since... 10.04? :)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:10 am Fun times for me.

I need to completely rebuild the hosting servers - They've been upgraded since... 10.04? :)
Hmmm. Any chance you could arrange to schedule a couple of root canal jobs first?

Just to get you in the proper mood of appreciation...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I got into the Ubuntu version of Linux back in ... 6.x maybe? ("We'll send you a Free Install Disk!") but I didn't really crank down hard on it being the day-to-day OS until the transition to 9.x.

I've got all this appended knowledge re: servers, hardware, and connections- but I've never really set one up from scratch AND ran it on a regular basis.

It's always "See?- that's a brand new Server I just created..." and then on to the next thing, that or the care and feeding of an already established rack-mounted server's clean room (I hate those places...) <-- I'm always tempted to bring in lush and growing plants.

I'm prob going to crank up a new thread w/ 19.04 installed, clean, from a DVD I just burned, onto the separate OS partition I always use.

PS- I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing (expected) cruft from my ill advised layered approach to upgrading, so I'm almost sure to go back and Nuke it from Orbit- It's the only way to be sure...

For example the lock your screen' function goes to an all black screen when you wake it back up, so you cant really see what password you are typing in, etc. It does come back, if you can trust your typing, but still. buggy.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

OK, so current update:

I had one laptop w/ Ubuntu Studio 16.04: I did an 'in place upgrade' to 19.04.
Minor hiccups, to have been expected (3rd party apps, etc). Mostly resolved but that computer has now been lost to calamity.

Back-up laptop* & brother's dual-booting laptop, and soon to be (old) desktop being upgraded, but not all the way to 19.04,
rather going to stick for awhile with Ubuntu Studio v18.04.

It's become the de-facto Long Term Support release now, so that's good enough.

Backport Repositories added to further support for 18.04:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... ckportsPPA

*1) Trackpad support is still 'twitchy', compared to the same device under Win 7.)
2) This unit's Battery is in good shape, unlike it's predecessor. But...
3) Trouble recognizing blank DVD/CDs, but will play audio CD's. Thinking of a Blu ray upgrade.
4) Thinking also of a SSD HD upgrade, and I think I have some bigger RAM dimms around too. (Currently 4G, so OK for now...)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I'd assumed reinstalling the OS would reset the menus to a 'fresh install config', but- nah. VLC & SMPlayer, et al are still there, but they used to live in a sub-menu all their own, and that menu has been deleted.
Most likely, a portion of the menu is system-wide and a portion is user-specific. The user-specific part would reside somewhere in your home folder, probably in the hidden .config folder.

NOT losing that stuff on a reinstall is one of the reasons for putting /home on a separate partition. Along with NOT losing all of your ebook collection, work in progress, old tax returns, etc. (On my laptop it has the larger of the two SSDs all to itself.)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Follow up and in response to Warri:

On this recent "Upgrade In Place' , I had the following experiences:

- Started w/ a Ubuntu Studio (XFCE) 16.04 OS, hadn't been online in a while.

- Upadated 16.04 w/
'sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade' command from the Terminal.

- Changed the Repositories using the Software Updater app;
. Changed 'Notify Me of a New Ubuntu Version' to 'Any Long-term Release'.
. Saved change and was notified there was a new version of the OS, and did i want to install it.

I went for it, after verifying I wasn't going to be getting 19.04 (which is Not long term supported...)

After rebooting I found I was indeed at 18.04 but the theme and menus and icons remained the same as the previous ver.
It wasn't until I added the Back port Repositories

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntustudio-ppa/backports
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

and did the 'sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade' again did I get the whole enchilada, 18.04 wise, with it's softer icons and so on.

Another option to upgrade might have have been to use theses commands (for example) found here: (and still adding those 'backports'...)
https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-up ... -to-18-04/

You can also upgrade from the shell with the following commands:

$ sudo apt update

$ sudo apt upgrade

This makes sure your Ubuntu is up to date. Next, follow this up with:

$ sudo apt dist-upgrade

This handles changing software dependencies with new versions of packages.

I then follow this up with:

$ sudo apt-get autoremove

This removes dependencies from uninstalled applications. You can do the same thing from the GUI desktop with the utility application Bleachbit. After that, it's time to get things ready for the big upgrade with:

$ sudo apt install update-manager-core

Finally:

This will start upgrading your system to 18.04. Along the way, Ubuntu will ask you several questions about how to handle the upgrade.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

('pologies; posts to this thread have been meandering and for want of a better term- 'puffy'.)

I'll try and tighten it up a little, going forward...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

PS- Seems I've been around here awhile...

Ubuntu Studio 16.04
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2655