Coco

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Coco

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Went and saw Pixar's latest this afternoon.

Some thoughts:

Better than i expected; the opening fifteen or so minute that's a big exposition dump sort of didn't work for me, but things improved.

Visually stunning.

Mildly anvilicious Aesops.

Miguel's Grandmother reminded me very much of my own Bohemian Grandma.

I have no problem at all with calling music The Most Important Thing In The World.

That opening fifteen or so minutes? This film is moving into the same territory as Up; but instead of showing us the backstory we need, as Up did so brilliantly and heart-breakingly, they tell us.

According to the end credits, Cheech Marin voiced one character, but not the one i would have expected. {I see that that character was voiced by Edward James Olmos.}

Lalo Alcaraz is listed in the end credits as a "Cultural Advisor" and also under "Additional voices".

One thing that bothered me - given the history of my grandmother and mother's last years - is the "love and/or music can cure Alzheimer's" implications.

First Pixar film that i've seen other than Toy Story that didn't have an accompanying short. Well, it DID ...

According to IMDB's "Trivia" page:
Coco (2017) is the first full-length Pixar animated film to not be accompanied by a short film created and produced by Pixar Animation Studios since Toy Story (1995), which had no accompanying short film in the USA and was accompanied in the UK by a re-release of the Roger Rabbit short film "Roller Coaster Rabbit" (1990).

Despite the success of Frozen (2013) the not-quite-short film "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" (2017) received serious complaints from moviegoers in Mexico for its greater-than-usual length, perceived lower quality, and the fact that it is a nonstop Christmas-themed musical number. Complaints were so numerous that the two largest movie theatre chains in the country opted to stop showing the Frozen short film before the movie just a week after opening day.
I give it about seven of ten. Maybe eight.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Re: Coco

Post by Typeminer »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:One thing that bothered me - given the history of my grandmother and mother's last years - is the "love and/or music can cure Alzheimer's" implications.
I hear ya on that, even without seeing the movie. Alzheimer's, Lewy bodies, similar conditions . . . destroy the brain. Not reversible even if they could stop the process.

Big Mister C. snatched my mom from Alzheimer. Kind of a surprise, because both cause anorexia, so . . . . Colorful story. Quite droll.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Loved Coco - the short not so much. Glad they dumped it.

Loved the Plot Twist! Knew there was one there somewhere, just not sure until it popped. Good job!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Atomic wrote:Loved the Plot Twist! Knew there was one there somewhere, just not sure until it popped. Good job!
It's pretty much the same underlying twist as Up...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.