Anyone Want Some Grapefruit?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Anyone Want Some Grapefruit?

Post by jwhouk »

No I didn't. Gimme a bit to get it uploaded properly.

EDIT: Here he is. He actually let me take a picture of him this time.

It's looking like we may lose a few branches off the Grapefruit tree. And I think I may be partially at fault from not watering more, but I also have to believe that the drought we had over the winter to now may have contributed.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Cute Anole. Is it usually that colour, or normally green?

They eat bugs, so it's got a good home, protection from weather and the like, and lots of food.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

DinkyInky wrote:Cute Anole. Is it usually that colour, or normally green?

They eat bugs, so it's got a good home, protection from weather and the like, and lots of food.
You're talking to a Deuteranopic here, so I couldn't tell you for sure if it's green or grey. It is probably trying to blend in with the white painted bark of the tree.

There is one other enemy that is possibly causing issues with the tree - one I was reminded of this morning. The woodpecker that had been playing percussion on my now-removed satellite dish has been snacking on the bark.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Cute Anole. Is it usually that colour, or normally green?

You're talking to a Deuteranopic here, so I couldn't tell you for sure if it's green or grey. It is probably trying to blend in with the white painted bark of the tree.

There is one other enemy that is possibly causing issues with the tree - one I was reminded of this morning. The woodpecker that had been playing percussion on my now-removed satellite dish has been snacking on the bark.
Woodpeckers usually go after insects on infected wood. I had woodpeckers living in my Apple back home. It survived two lightning strikes, and while we re-shaped the tree to deal with the loss, one side became a snack bar for them. Paint usually deters them from attacking healthy branches though.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Actually, anoles change color to regulate their temperature.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Alkarii wrote:Actually, anoles change color to regulate their temperature.
Little different with the brown and green ones, Brown ones remain brown, but turn light or dark to match the bark.

Green ones become brown when stressed.

--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The first sign that something was wrong was when I woke up sweating.

I usually go outside before the sun gets too high in the sky to turn on the hoses for the trees. When I went outside, I noticed something:

It felt cooler outside than inside.

After turning on the water, I went over to check the outdoor AC coil. The fan was blowing straight up, into my face.

It isn't supposed to do that.

I went back inside, and sure enough, the indoor temp was at 89F. I had the AC set to 78F last night.

The repairman said he'd be here at 11 AM. I'm sweating like a pig.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

s'OK, eat some grapefruit, you'll be alright...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Oh, that's the other thing...

That picture from when monsoon season started? It didn't show something: I've only got two branches of the tree that don't have withered leaves. I actually have one piece of grapefruit still hanging on on the tree.

I may need to get out a saw and trim back most of the tree - or get the landscaping guy to come out and do it for me. :/

(OK, I'm gonna say it: Ialin's gonna be SO pissed at me...)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

TazManiac wrote:s'OK, eat some grapefruit, you'll be alright...
I thought that that was limes and coconuts?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
TazManiac wrote:s'OK, eat some grapefruit, you'll be alright...
I thought that that was limes and coconuts?
No, no... everybody misunderstands that point.

The doctor was well aware that combining limes and coconuts is quicky and inevitably fatal. He knew he could do nothing to help and that, the next day, he would be invited to attend the wake for his (former) patient. He would have to put on his ritual robes in order to attend the ceremony.

That's why he said "cowl me in the mourning".

Grapefruits are much safer.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:No, no... everybody misunderstands that point.

The doctor was well aware that combining limes and coconuts is quicky and inevitably fatal. He knew he could do nothing to help and that, the next day, he would be invited to attend the wake for his (former) patient. He would have to put on his ritual robes in order to attend the ceremony.

I'm cornflicked- PUNishment for this one should be either being forced to eat a bowl of grape nuts without milk, or maybe a dose of grape shot...

:D
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Hansontoons wrote:
Dave wrote:No, no... everybody misunderstands that point.

I'm cornflicked- PUNishment for this one should be either being forced to eat a bowl of grape nuts without milk, or maybe a dose of grape shot...

:D
Or Grape-Nuts fired as grapeshot?

Eating a bowl of grapeshot will definitelyt leaved a leaden feeling in the stomach - and the next day is going to be hell.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...eating grape nuts does that, too.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Interesting evening tonight. We decided to have some post-dinner ice cream bars out on our front porch (for only 15 minutes; even after the sun goes down, it's still in the mid-90's here). Apparently, while we were coming and going, a cricket of some sort snuck in while we weren't looking. We were doing some playtime with our cat when suddenly she reacted to it coming out of hiding and chasing after it. I wasn't fast enough to try to catch it, and it ended up going under the microwave cart next to our stove. Our little kitten did her best, wiggling under the cart and chasing after it, but it promptly jumped away and into our bedroom. We think (fingers crossed) it leaped into the cold air return, hopefully to return to the outside.

In other news: the grapefruit tree is now down two limbs thanks to the new Ryobi saw I purchased - though it bit back at me by jamming a thorn into the edge of my thumbnail. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:In other news: the grapefruit tree is now down two limbs thanks to the new Ryobi saw I purchased - though it bit back at me by jamming a thorn into the edge of my thumbnail. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hmmm. Just who is pruning whom?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Current status of Grapefruit Tree and its sister Orange Bush: Link (for size)

This was after I lopped off two branches on the right that were essentially dead.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...Have you considered taking the good branches and planting them anew? Perhaps grafting them to a root system that can handle AZ better?
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Possible. The problem is - and this is why I'm hesitant to do any more trimming - is that the upper branches provide shade for the lower ones, to give them a better chance at thriving and producing fruit.

I'm also going back to the former way of watering (essentially irrigation) for both trees. I think that might have been the reason why the leaves shriveled so much.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Not sure if at this point you can afford to think of the branches as independent. That whole tree is one organism, and it sure looks like 90% of it is dead as a retail worker’s sense of humor.
I'm too much!