Anyone Want Some Grapefruit?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Anyone Want Some Grapefruit?

Post by jwhouk »

Yeeeah. Especially since the fruit that was already there back in May was hard as a rock last I looked.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

An update:

Thanks to me actually a.) fertilizing both trees, b.) remembering to water them daily thanks to a timer, and c.) that huge rainstorm we had that dumped snow on Northern Arizona and doused the valley with rain, I have the beginnings of buds on both trees. Whether or not this produces fruit is another story.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Cool! Hope you get fruit. If it bore fruit before, maybe the soaking will help.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Good news/Bad news time: The bad news is that the Orange Tree... is kaput. Had a landscaper come out and look at it, and he pointed out a distinct lack of new growth. It's all "suckers", which means the tree is really dead. It's going to get ground down to a stump by this weekend.

The Good News? The Grapefruit tree will get trimmed back, but it has definitely produced some decent fruit. Not huge fruit, but then again this is the off-season for it.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:03 am Good news/Bad news time: The bad news is that the Orange Tree... is kaput. Had a landscaper come out and look at it, and he pointed out a distinct lack of new growth. It's all "suckers", which means the tree is really dead. It's going to get ground down to a stump by this weekend.
So it's not just mostly dead, but completely dead... You know, there's only one thing left to do, then... Go through its pockets, and look for loose change... :mrgreen:

Glad there's still hope for the other one, though.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to wonder if I didn't kill the roses that came with the backyard of my house... :roll:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Orange tree is gone, and stump ground down. Grapefruit tree was trimmed back, and yard sprayed.

Best of all, though, was the palm tree. It got shaved back to the trunk and the fronds were cut back. It looks frickin awesome.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

jwhouk wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:06 pm Orange tree is gone, and stump ground down. Grapefruit tree was trimmed back, and yard sprayed.

Best of all, though, was the palm tree. It got shaved back to the trunk and the fronds were cut back. It looks frickin awesome.
So, you're saying you had to _shave your palm_?

What HAVE you been doing?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Ha ha. :P

Seriously, though - the outer bark of the tree had been slowly rotting and causing bark "husks" to fall and mess up my yard. Imagine if someone ran over a coconut shell with a truck; that's what those things look like (but are remarkably thin and only mildly annoying).

Here's what it looks like now:

As for the orange and grapefruit trees:

(EDIT: Not sure why both pictures are turned 90 degrees to the side...)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(that's the problem; yer growing yer plants SIDEWAYS!)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I'd be more concerned about having to get into the house sideways... :mrgreen:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It's a browser thing, methinks. Comes up right way on a narrow screen. (Right click view image to see it as-is.)

Compare to how it looked last year, you can see the difference:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Not a "tree" update (though I'll say that the fruit isn't good as they have huge ass rinds, but that's another subject), but one that is WS related:

Wife got a couple of birthday coupons that were good through the 30th for Buca. We already used the discounted one for some Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo earlier this month; we decided (since she got off work early today) to use the other one today. It was for one of their free Colossal Sundaes.

Three words to describe it: Oh. My. GOD.

Dave

Post by Dave »

838-02482983en_Masterfile.jpg
838-02482983en_Masterfile.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 15494 times
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Is the whole mound ice cream, with various syrups drizzled on it, or is part of is whipped cream? And if so, just how much of that mound is ice cream, and how much is whipped cream?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I think, based on what the congealed mass that is left of it looks like in our freezer, that it was probably about 35-40% ice cream, 35-40% whipped cream, about 15% brownies, and the rest chocolate sauce and toppings (sprinkles and a cherry).

BTW that medallion that says "Buca di Beppo" on it is actually white chocolate.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:04 am I think, based on what the congealed mass that is left of it looks like in our freezer, that it was probably about 35-40% ice cream, 35-40% whipped cream, about 15% brownies, and the rest chocolate sauce and toppings (sprinkles and a cherry).

BTW that medallion that says "Buca di Beppo" on it is actually white chocolate.
So essentially, the top is whipped cream, the bottom is ice cream, and the "ring around the collar", delimiting the two, are brownies?

Personally, I think I would have preferred a mix which leaned more heavily towards the ice cream side... :roll:

And you got this for free, because of a coupon?

How much does it normally cost, do you know?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Didn't actually look, but Buca is not cheap by any means.

The Tiramisu, as an example, is $15.00.

The card was a gift for Sarah's b'day. It was good through the end of June, so we were going to use it this weekend regardless.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

So, I'll say it again: Anyone want some grapefruit?

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Picture 1: You're going to give those grapefruits an inferiority complex, storing them next to the garbage can... :P

Picture 2: that's an odd looking tree... (Part my hair in the middle, please! :lol: ) It looks so dead in the middle, yet the sides still flourish.

Picture 3: are we looking at a pile of branches that have been cut off the tree?

And to answer your question, regardless of whether I would want any or not, I think importing fruits through the mail is a big no-no... So we'll have to forego the whole thing...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That bucket is only about half of the fruit on the tree. And very little of it is edible. The fruit, besides being baked in the sun, has large thick rinds with little meat. (A low level of phosphate in the fertilizer apparently did that.)

Yes, the tree is heavily bifurcated because all that was in the middle were "suckers" - branches that didn't produce fruit, only drooping leaves and weak branches.

Basically, I was told by the park management that the tree had to be cut back. I am going to try one more growing season (after Labor Day) to see if I can get decent fruit from the remaining branches. If not, the tree may very well go the way of the orange tree (not appearing in your picture because it is no longer there).

My other issue is all the weed that are still around the tree. I am learning to HATE spurge.