It's dead, Jim

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

It's dead, Jim

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I don't think it's coming back from this

The final crop

Next year, i'm grabbing two plants as soon as Kroger puts them on sale, and they're going out in the big box immediately.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Re: It's dead, Jim

Post by Dave »

Yeah, peppers won't tolerate a serious frost.

The only edible pepper I know of which really seems to do well as a perennial is the Manzano. Even it is frost-sensitive, but I've seen one resprout from the roots after a freeze.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

My one consolation is that the kudzu must be dead for a while, too.

Is the Manzano particularly hot?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Kudzu is never dead. It’s only slightly delayed, but it is as inevitable as death itself. It is a plant of death, and thus cannot be killed like some ordinary mortal plant.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:My one consolation is that the kudzu must be dead for a while, too.

Is the Manzano particularly hot?
As a confirmed chili-head I rate it as moderate. The ones I've had are roughly comparable to a jalapeno... nowhere near a Habanero or Scotch Bonnet, let alone a Scorpion. They respond very nicely to being picked in vinegar.

One Manzano bush in a good location can supply plenty for a family.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

The rescued peppers look okay, at least.

Friend was loading me up with surplus cherry peppers, and I just ate the last of them on Friday. Winter is here. :(
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I don't think it's coming back from this

The final crop

Next year, i'm grabbing two plants as soon as Kroger puts them on sale, and they're going out in the big box immediately.
I seriously would save some seeds of a couple of the ripe ones to try to start in-house in about March. Even if they don't take, it's an experiment to learn how to start them without starter plants. Plus, if you like the heat/flavour in those and they do take, you can continue on with this crop. I've grown many hot peppers inside for my Mother from "ornamental" indoor plants. Just ah...don't make Kimchi from Thai Fires and Thai Royal Dragons...especially if the seeds came from her.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

Nuclear kimchee! A bit like the scene from "Silent Movie", looking through the window of a Szechuan restaurant, at all the customers sitting at tables, gasping, with smoke streaming out of their mouths. 8-)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote:Nuclear kimchee! A bit like the scene from "Silent Movie", looking through the window of a Szechuan restaurant, at all the customers sitting at tables, gasping, with smoke streaming out of their mouths. 8-)
Or a variant from "Mars Attacks!" - customers sitting there eating, then they start to convulse and their heads explode.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:
Dave wrote:Nuclear kimchee! A bit like the scene from "Silent Movie", looking through the window of a Szechuan restaurant, at all the customers sitting at tables, gasping, with smoke streaming out of their mouths. 8-)
Or a variant from "Mars Attacks!" - customers sitting there eating, then they start to convulse and their heads explode.
You aren't suggesting that someone in DinkyInky's family is the Korean Slim Whitman, are you? :shock:
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
You aren't suggesting that someone in DinkyInky's family is the Korean Slim Whitman, are you? :shock:
Only when she laughs....
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:
Dave wrote:
Just Old Al wrote: Or a variant from "Mars Attacks!" - customers sitting there eating, then they start to convulse and their heads explode.
Only when she laughs....
More like this...or this...oh, and I may have done this to someone...this, this is how I usually order something, with this response...minus the semi-serious injury.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

Heh... Sydney definitely does live up to her name.

I imagine she'd have enjoyed the Savina burger at the Prince Of Wales pub in San Mateo, as it used to be in the days of yore. Definitely the hottest thing I've ever eaten. Once we had finished, the lunch group agreed that an urgent trip to the Dairy Queen down the street was called for, as a matter of sanity and survival.