Bladerunner 2049

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Hansontoons

Re: Bladerunner 2049

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:I'd stake a steak dinner on the bet that it would take more than a stake to fracture the tale of his fairly contagious J. Warditus. It'd be good enough, might be even fatal, snidely doing right in the face of a soppy tale, but a hazardous rocky road that would require a Crusader rabbit-punching or Sherman tank to bull through a jungle of winkles, by George.
And that, my friends, is probably the best set of referential allusions I've read this year. I count a dozen and may have missed some. Bravo!

(And, of course, kids these days won't have any idea what you're talking about. So it has been since our ancestors first chased the dinosaurs out of the caves and into extinction.)
Thenkyew, thenkyew, I'll be here all week. I don't want to bragg, it was a commanding stretch at times, almost worked myself wrongway into a corner with some poetic license, but was fun working it out. Shoulda squeezed a few more in!

For those a bit befused, it's all about Jay Ward cartoons- a major influence on Dave (a fearless leader, a Mr. Know-It-All), myself, and a few others around here.

...fracture the tale of his fairly... = Fractured Fairy Tales

...J. Warditus... = Jay Ward

...good enough... = a play on Badenov, as in Boris

...fatal... = Fatale, as in Natasha (my son-in-law's mother is named Natasha, if only her husband was named Boris!)

...snidely... = Snidely Whiplash

...doing right... = Dudley Do-right

...a soppy tale... = Aesop & Son

...rocky... = Rocket "Rocky" J. Squirrel

...Crusader rabbit... = Crusader Rabbit

...Sherman... = Sherman from "Peabody's Improbable History"

...bull through a jungle of winkles, by George. = mashup of Bullwinkle and George of the Jungle
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Hansontoons wrote:I'd stake a steak dinner on the bet that it would take more than a stake to fracture the tale of his fairly contagious J. Warditus. It'd be good enough, might be even fatal, snidely doing right in the face of a soppy tale, but a hazardous rocky road that would require a Crusader rabbit-punching or Sherman tank to bull through a jungle of winkles, by George.
I'd take the frostbite fall sooner than bet that steak. Maybe call for soup or chicken.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Typeminer wrote:I'd take the frostbite fall sooner than bet that steak. Maybe call for soup or chicken.
Wossamatter you, taking soup over steak?
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AmriloJim wrote:
Typeminer wrote:I'd take the frostbite fall sooner than bet that steak. Maybe call for soup or chicken.
Wossamatter you, taking soup over steak?
Brilliant.

Just remember to serve some super sauce on the side.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hansontoons wrote:Thenkyew, thenkyew, I'll be here all week. I don't want to bragg, it was a commanding stretch at times, almost worked myself wrongway into a corner with some poetic license, but was fun working it out. Shoulda squeezed a few more in!
... he said, squeezing a few more in! :D

This is a great topic and exchange of puns. I might have to make another foray into this subject area in six or seven months... June, maybe.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Had to save how I met Dudley for last....
19360515_AGTp19d.png
19360515_AGTp19d.png (90.57 KiB) Viewed 7299 times
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Obligatory: Indian Love Call (1936)!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

What I want to know, is how she managed to train those five crows to sound so much like an orchestra.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Hansontoons wrote:...good enough... = a play on Badenov, as in Boris
Remember - "Boris Badenov" is a play on the operaBoris Gudenov
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Remember - "Boris Badenov" is a play on the opera Boris Gudenov
... by way of a hack writer named Ida Thot Hildu.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Remember - "Boris Badenov" is a play on the opera Boris Gudenov
... by way of a hack writer named Ida Thot Hildu.
And the stage design was done by the famous Irish exterior decorator, Paddy O'Furniture.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I just saw this Thanksgiving and I started to reply, but it turned into a line-item by line-item entry... until it didn't.

- Yes, very stylized, but it had to be to fit the original.
'Han Solo Effect', Hah! thats going to become a 'thing'...

- I could have sworn it was certainly a Vangelis pupil though...

- I am typing this at the Library, re: Dark Star'; this post was the impulse to get it loaned out, seen (finally) and scratched off the 'List of Stuff I Should have Seen by Now'.
(Pops had it on my list, all Half-Last Century and everything...)

- there is no four...

- 'the.bladerunner' could come out as a separate, but co-joined film, and it would take all of five mins to 'splain the appropriation of the cultural title by the folks who produced Android Body Parts, by 'retiring them...

- "And I've been up to my ass in work and winemaking for the past month." Vintning you say?

- Dave, ever the Heinlein reference catcher...

- FP; 'shadup youze'... :)

Devolution into Punsterville... (man, the Bench is Deep...)

Having just seen it; my own thoughts:

- There seemed to be doppelgängers to the original models in there, even though they where supposed to have been 'retired' by then...

- 'Harpoon it with a Conductive Kite'; daaaayum.

- I got to the theatre, having walking a few blocks, mainlining a cup of coffee along the way and despite the physical activity and caffeine (or maybe because of the end of physical activity & the sugar in the coffee.,..) I started to nod off a bit while trying to maintain the proper 'Blade Runner Sequel' level of attention. It wasn't that it was really boring or anything, but that's what happened anyway.

I liked this film, even though it was strange at times. Using such an established film as it's progenitor could have led to some very rocky shoals to grind the hull of the next film upon, think Alien Franchise...), but it seems the film makers did well in the caretaker role.

I'm going to have to see this one again.