Windows 10

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: Windows 10

Post by lake_wrangler »

When I came back from work, the same error was waiting for me. The update assistant just can't manage to install Win 10 on my virtual machine. I did download the ISO from MS, before the day was through. I don't know if that's sufficient to install it later, or if their servers will stop handing out registered keys, now that the date has come and gone. I may try it on the virtual machine, but I'm not sure I want to bother with the dual-boot Windows partition side of my computer.

More than likely, I may buy a used laptop, some day, and it have Win10 on it. If so, then instead of completely erasing it to install Linux, I would just set it up to dual boot, so as to keep Win 10 for study purposes...
Dave

Post by Dave »

In the past, Microsoft has not always done a good job of supporting the installation of Windows in virtual machines. I believe they actually declared it to be a license violation for some versions of Windows. Didn't like the idea of people installing the same copy/license in more than one piece of hardware I guess.

It may be that Windows 10 puts some demands on the BIOS (I think it strictly requires UEFI) that your virtual machine does not implement in a way that matches Windows's expectations.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Well, never mind.

The joke i was about to post depended on strikeouts, and we don't get that here.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

At this point, all I know is that it will probably be a while before I even get close to Win 10 on any hardware of mine, because I sure won't be upgrading my computer just so I can install an OS I don't really want in the first place... Sure, it would have been nice to have a free copy, to play around with and be able to help friends with troubleshooting, but other than that, I have no use for it.

I only use Windows 7 because of a single piece of software I use that won't install under WINE in Linux, and I can't fully use in a VM, because my computer, while quite good, is not quite powerful enough to use the software properly there. (I participate in bible lessons on internet each week, and we use a software called ooVoo, which is similar to Skype. When using it in a VM, with the number of participants in the video conference call, it breaks up too much to be useful. So I have to use it natively in Windows...)

Oh well...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

OK, I was succesful-

1) Laptop original came w/ Win 8.1. Hard drive failed, was able to back up data prior to it finally dieing. Installed a new HD, never reinstalled Windows. Eventually realizing Win10 'window' was closing I yanked that 'new' hard drive, chock full of Linux (Ubuntu Studio 16.04 and lots of apps...) in favour of an empty hard drive that I'd used in an external enclosure up till now.

Clean Install of Win 10. Patches and Updates, everything OK. Activated automatically because the laptop's original OS, being 8.1 and the 'bios' being EUFI, there is what amounts to the OS's Product Code embedded in the cmos memory. (I'm going to run a util against it and write it down on a hard copy, going forward...) New Windows 8 machines don't have a sticker on the case to keep track of the OS 'Serial number', it's embedded in the guts of the Setup memory.

(I'm playing a bit fast and Loose with absolute terms and examples, partly because I'm typing this outside the just closed local Library [they of large bandwidth...] and it's over a hundred degrees out here right now..., also for the sake of my less than tech experienced readers, I'm trying not to take too much for granted.)

2) Last night, back at the ranch, got the Win7 desktop system up to Win 10, used the Win7 label on the case to Activate Win 10 before Midnight.

3) Came back to the Library a second day to workout why my seemingly easy Install of my day to day OS (Ubuntu Studio) would 'take' in a dual-boot configuration. The plan is to ignore the MS OS and use the 'better' OS on the regular.... only the menuing that would provide that initial fork-in-the-road on startup was failing to finish right.

Had to boot from and run 'Boot-Repair' from a stand-alone version (ISO file 'burned' to a flash drive...). Fixed GRUB2 menu setup, spent the next few hours getting that initial OS Patch and Update, add desired Apps, dial it all in download- hence the big-bad-broadband location.

It's relative late (been here most all day, and I'm tired and hungry, but I've got the core of enough stuff to try and compile DVDSTYLER from source code now.... (pray for me...)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's the latest round of news, to scare and/or rile you up a little...

Windows 10: Microsoft forces you to choose between privacy and security, say campaigners

Windows 10 Anniversary Update: Watch out for these nasty surprises

Windows 10 tip: Turn off Cortana completely (Because Win10 Anniversary edition removed the ability to turn off Cortana via an interface switch...)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Thx for those links, I've seen the first two but I haven’t yet gotten around to reading any of them yet.

I've gotten this system up to the recent Anniversary Update, but I don't 'live' in that OS, so I haven’t done much tweaking yet.

As for anybody having to do a clean install of Win SEVEN- after you install it turn off Automatic Updates & then install and run WSUS Offline Installer. Believe me, you'll avoid a whole bunch of trouble getting that initial Patches & Updates into the new install a lot easier that way. (vs not being able to get updates going at all...)

http://www.wsusoffline.net/ (btw- this util works to download all the current updates to a folder, allowing a PC that is Offline to gain patches via 'sneaker-net', ie by way of a connected PC, to flashdrive, to unconnected PC...).
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And now, for the latest and greatest... ;)

Windows 10 Anniversary Update kills webcams, no fix until September

And while the free upgrades are now over with, some people might still consider doing it... so I give you:

Five reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10

(Disclaimer: I can't say how good or bad Win10 really is, as I was unable to upgrade, even just to test it before downgrading again. However, I do not trust MS, and am not particularly thrilled about their current business model...)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I trust them even less and only keep it around, and stay up to date because people rely on my fix'n stuff. (Not that you could tell by my lackadaisical attitude, here in the Forums...).

I only dual-boot WinX, so while it's on the PC, it's dormant from day to day...

PS- I'm looking into a loop-hole in the July cut-off, free upgrade date.

As I have another PC, but it was too far away when I realized the closing window, I'm going to prepare to update, and subsequently roll back to the pre-existing Win7.

More to follow, if I have results, either way...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I was hoping to install it, just to study it, for the same reason: helping friends with computer problems... but I never managed the upgrade (it said my comp's display was incompatible, or something like that...)

I still keep Win7 around, as a dual boot, because of one program that won't install in Linux under Wine, and won't work well enough in a VM.

The program is called ooVoo, and is similar to Skype. In the VM, when there are several people on the video call (which I use 2X a week), it lags. Hence the need to run it in Native Windows... Just about everything else, I can do in Linux.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

lake_wrangler wrote:I was hoping to install it, just to study it, for the same reason: helping friends with computer problems... but I never managed the upgrade (it said my comp's display was incompatible, or something like that...)

I still keep Win7 around, as a dual boot, because of one program that won't install in Linux under Wine, and won't work well enough in a VM.

The program is called ooVoo, and is similar to Skype. In the VM, when there are several people on the video call (which I use 2X a week), it lags. Hence the need to run it in Native Windows... Just about everything else, I can do in Linux.
Discord now has a stable Linux distro, may wish to consider it as an alternative to ooVoo.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Discord now has a stable Linux distro, may wish to consider it as an alternative to ooVoo.
I can't switch from ooVoo to some other software, as everyone else who is involved in the conference call uses ooVoo. ooVoo is not a distro, it's a communication software, just like Skype.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

lake_wrangler wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Discord now has a stable Linux distro, may wish to consider it as an alternative to ooVoo.
I can't switch from ooVoo to some other software, as everyone else who is involved in the conference call uses ooVoo. ooVoo is not a distro, it's a communication software, just like Skype.
I'm aware of what ooVoo is, I'm also aware that it really sucks. Suggest switching to Discord instead.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
I'm aware of what ooVoo is, I'm also aware that it really sucks. Suggest switching to Discord instead.
OK, so it's a communication app. The way you mentioned it at first, made it sound like it was one of the many Linux distros available out there...

It still doesn't change the fact that my two video conferences weekly are but a subset of all the people involved who use ooVoo for that purpose (many of whom are practically computer illiterate and it took everything we had to just get them to be able to download and install the software - trying to switch to another one would be an enormous pain), and the organization (Covenant Keepers) for whom those video conferences are taking place (it's a bible study, using their curriculum, being taught by their trained group leaders) has paid accounts with ooVoo (to avoid the ads - each bible study is being done by a leader who uses the paid account, and the meeting times are set so that no one needs the paid account at the same time). In other words, we are too involved, too invested in using ooVoo to switch to anything else, at this point. So I just make do, by booting into Windows when I need to either attend, or lead, one of the bible studies - because I also happen to be one of their trained leaders, and so I lead my own bible study, using their curriculum, on Monday nights. On Saturday mornings, I am merely a group member while someone else leads.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Right now my Win10 escapades are related to constricting AutoUpdates when used w/ a Quota Based Hotspot type Internet Connection...

Cant always turn on the 'Metered Connection' feature.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:Right now my Win10 escapades are related to constricting AutoUpdates when used w/ a Quota Based Hotspot type Internet Connection...

Cant always turn on the 'Metered Connection' feature.
But but but...

Microsoft told us that's what "Metered Connection" was for... don't you trust Microsoft? ;)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

sheeeet, I cant even (as of yet) been able to get it (Win10) to recognize the DVD-R as a burner- which works just fine in Ubuntu Studio 16.04... (In other words, it aint the hardware, it's the most recent OS...)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I have this laptop, which came w/ Win8.1, a Win 10 licence I gained as 'in kind' remuneration I haven’t deployed yet, and a good friend’s Win 7 PC 'upgraded' just before the free upgrade window closed. I'm going to roll that last one back to Win7, 10 is proving too 'experimental' to trust to worry-free (hah, this is Microsoft we're talking about here...) day to day usage by relatively non-tech people.

I'm tired of one thing after another calling forth the frustrated "Why Ain't this Sh#t Working?" over and over again...
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Does anyone really know what time it is? Because Windows 10 apparently doesn't...
time.png
time.png (53.19 KiB) Viewed 14815 times