Windows 10

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

scantrontb

Re: Windows 10

Post by scantrontb »

AmriloJim wrote:Does anyone really know what time it is? Because Windows 10 apparently doesn't...
until i scrolled down to see the 1132 PM at the bottom of the pic, i was thinking, "oh, that's just your time zone settings... what's the problem?..." but then again, it COULD still be time zone settings, say that one setpoint is set for the Ukraine or some place like that on whatever widget that is but on the actual system time it's set for the USA... maybe... um, yeah, i forgot we're talking about M$ here... on second thought, yeah, you're screwed. it IS that messed up...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I noticed it when I checked the taskbar for the current time... the taskbar apparently shutdown at 11:52pm while the system clock stayed on. There are 12 timezone enclaves that have a 30 minute offset from from UTC and three that have a 45 minute difference... but I'm not aware of one that is 38 minutes askew.

BTW, the clock/calendar 'widget' is Win10 default.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Jim,

It's not you. Try adjusting what server you get time from, 'Internet Time' from the Vice-President's Naval Atomic Timepiece might work better.

Still, Win 10 Time is buggy.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

By the way, I'm rolling back most every PC to Win 7 if I can- trouble w/ this Laptop is that the OEM OS Licence is Win 8.x, not Seven. So I'm kind of stuck, casue I'd rather lump along with Ten than slog through Win 8.

Besides, I'm Dual Booting anyway, so I hardly boot up in the Microsoft stuff anyway.
Besides II; I need to keep up on the latest to help support others, blah blah blah...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AmJim: I suspect you have the time settings mixed up.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

No, time settings are fine... the taskbar clock simply froze at 11:32pm. It still read 11:32pm when I restarted the box ten minutes after I grabbed the screenshot.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

It's NOT Jim or his settings, it's a funky Win10 thing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Microsoft has now demonstrated that the Edge browser in Windows 10 is more secure than Internet Explorer, in Windows 7... Let's all breathe a collective sigh of relief... :lol:
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

lake_wrangler wrote:Microsoft has now demonstrated that the Edge browser in Windows 10 is more secure than Internet Explorer, in Windows 7... Let's all breathe a collective sigh of relief... :lol:
So basically, what Firefox and Chrome have been doing for over a decade now... :roll:

Also, Win10 is far less secure simply because of so many gorraman backdoors for hackers to exploit. And how much data the OS naturally collects on you, ready for hackers to steal. Even with Spybot Anti-Beacon, there's only so much that can be stopped.

I'll stick to Linux, thanks. With a pretty good firewall and AdBlock, I'm pretty safe. I'm not saying it is perfect, what man can encode man can decode and thus what man can protect man can bypass, but I'd trust it a heck of a lot more than WinAnything.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

There is the unsettling trend to log into everything with a single pass-code; the default WinTen installation wizard would have you create your initial log in ID with a Microsoft Account...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:There is the unsettling trend to log into everything with a single pass-code; the default WinTen installation wizard would have you create your initial log in ID with a Microsoft Account...
I use a system of security clearances. For things like logging into these forums or other purely recreational websites, I use a fairly simple but still rather secure alphasymbolnumeric password that only changes about once every few years. Further up are things like email accounts, which use a longer and more complicated code, changed once a year or whenever there's a breach.

Above that is one for things like bank accounts and such, then another to protect hardware.
Last edited by GlytchMeister on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I was debating whether this fits better here, or in the thread about the iCar, but decided that this would be more à propos in a Windows world...

Here's a quote that my wallpaper changer spit out recently:
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.
- Robert X. Cringely
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Okay... as mentioned previously, shortly after I bounced this Toshiba Satellite to Win10 a year ago, the attached 1366x768 monitor went dark and I've been using a 1280x1024 external monitor.

Last night, I tried sending a document to my WiFi printer. Status window insisted the printer was offline. Restarted Win10, and the document printed upon reboot... and BOTH monitors came up in 800x600 mode; attached display in pillarbox.

So I try to adjust resolution and expand my desktop to dual screen. Well, both monitors identify as [1] and I only have one resolution choice. I tried unplugging the external, and the attached switched to 1366x768.

This morning, I performed a cold boot... and I'm back to a dark attached monitor and a 1280x1024 external.

I guess this is an undocumented Windows 10 Function (WTF).
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I know they can't test every possible hardware combination, but that's just ridiculous! :shock: :roll:
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Jim!, You're a Pioneer!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Why bother with Windows 10, when you can simply use one of The antique computers that just won't quit :lol: 8-)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

lake_wrangler wrote:Why bother with Windows 10, when you can simply use one of The antique computers that just won't quit :lol: 8-)
I have no time to see the whole thing but my 1st reaction is "Well, Hell... That's what I do for fun...".

If not for the troubles of 'stuff happening' I'd have a nice little Museum of my own...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Now that the year is almost over, let us all laugh, or cringe, together:

Windows 10: The 10 biggest controversies and surprises in 2016
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

I just quite literally shouted laughing.

In that list I was factory trained on a quarter of them, owned half of the rest and am not unfamiliar with the rest.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »