"Let me pee in it so it tastes better!"

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

"Let me pee in it so it tastes better!"

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Peter David's latest reprint of one of his columns from CBG from years ago (from 2001) is titled "The Hollywoodization of Marvel Comics". I just posted the following there:

Apparently the worst of the firestorm over a black Human Torch has settled down. So:

Doctor Doom is an ‘antisocial programmer’ and blogger in the Fantastic Four reboot

DigitalTrends/11 November 2014 wrote: ]There’s a lot of buzz surrounding the upcoming reboot of the Fantastic Four movie franchise — not all of it good — and the latest update is sure to generate even more heated discussion among fans.

According to actor Toby Kebell, the famous family of superheroes aren’t the only characters getting a significant redesign for the reboot, as the team’s iconic nemesis Doctor Doom also has an origin story that diverges significantly from the comic book source material.

“He’s Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story,” Kebbell told Collider while doing the press rounds for the upcoming Blu-ray release of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. “And I’m sure I’ll be sent to jail for telling you that. The Doom in ours—I’m a programmer. A very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I’m ‘Doom.'”

Related: Is Marvel phasing out Fantastic Four comics ahead of the 2015 movie?

If Kebbell’s description of the character proves true, it will be a dramatic change from Doctor Doom’s canonical origin that saw him rise to power from gypsy roots to the (literally) iron-handed dictator of the nation of Latveria. However, given many of the changes to the Fantastic Four’s comic book canon that have already been rumored for director Josh Trank’s film, the change-up could just be one of many that the project presents to audiences.

“The thing I really concentrated on for Doctor Doom — or just ‘Doom,’ as we’ve got him — was the voice,” Kebell told ComingSoon.net. “Even on the animated series, they never got his voice what I imagined it to be when I read the comics as a little boy… What I spent the majority of my time doing was not just being a fan, but being a bit of pedant and making sure I got exactly what I always wanted to see.”

The Fantastic Four hits theaters August 7, 2015, and also stars Miles Teller as Reed Richards, Kate Mara as Sue Storm, Jamie Bell as Ben Grimm, Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm, and Tim Blake Nelson as Harvey Elder.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.