More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Hansontoons

Re: More Stuff

Post by Hansontoons »

TazManiac wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:53 am Very nice pix.
Thanks. I'm still learning.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:29 am Out of curiosity, what shutter speed did you use, in order to get the slight motion blur on the propellers like that? Those are some nice photos.
Thanks. I had shutter set at 160. Lens is a 200-500 telephoto. Nikon equipment.

Right now I tend to have about a 15-20% keep rate for photos. The heavy lens and moving subjects are challenging to work with for me. Maybe if I was able to graduate from 12oz curls to something heavier, I might develop the upper body strength to take better photos!

I've seen people with tripods for supporting the really big lenses. I'd think that too can be challenging as the aircraft cross at different altitudes and arcs, would be taxing on legs for squatting down to catch subjects at the high side of arcs.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Hansontoons wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pmRight now I tend to have about a 15-20% keep rate for photos. The heavy lens and moving subjects are challenging to work with for me. Maybe if I was able to graduate from 12oz curls to something heavier, I might develop the upper body strength to take better photos!
I have decent upper body strength, but I still find I shake a fair bit if I'm not careful. Even if I try to exhale, then take the shot, while resting my elbows on my chest...
Hansontoons wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pmI've seen people with tripods for supporting the really big lenses. I'd think that too can be challenging as the aircraft cross at different altitudes and arcs, would be taxing on legs for squatting down to catch subjects at the high side of arcs.
I have seen a trick, once, I forget where, whereby you tie a string to your camera, at the midway portion of the string, and have the two ends make loops where you can insert your feet. It won't help support the weight, but it is said to help steady the camera, as you hold the string taunt with your feet.

I haven't tried that yet, so I can't speak for the results.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Hansontoons wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pm . . . Right now I tend to have about a 15-20% keep rate for photos. . . .
That's quite good! We used to figure 2% was fair.
Hansontoons wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pmThe heavy lens and moving subjects are challenging to work with for me. Maybe if I was able to graduate from 12oz curls to something heavier, I might develop the upper body strength to take better photos!

I've seen people with tripods for supporting the really big lenses. I'd think that too can be challenging as the aircraft cross at different altitudes and arcs, would be taxing on legs for squatting down to catch subjects at the high side of arcs.
We used to use the reciprocal of the lens length . . . for a 200mm lens, 1/250th or faster (when hand-holding).

I could usually go a couple of steps lower if I had a good position, and even slower with a rest.

I used to do night work . . . IIRC, I've taken exposures up to 15 minutes. Obviously, that requires a solid tripod.

--FreeFlier
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:21 pm
Hansontoons wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pmRight now I tend to have about a 15-20% keep rate for photos. The heavy lens and moving subjects are challenging to work with for me. Maybe if I was able to graduate from 12oz curls to something heavier, I might develop the upper body strength to take better photos!
I have decent upper body strength, but I still find I shake a fair bit if I'm not careful. Even if I try to exhale, then take the shot, while resting my elbows on my chest...
Hansontoons wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pmI've seen people with tripods for supporting the really big lenses. I'd think that too can be challenging as the aircraft cross at different altitudes and arcs, would be taxing on legs for squatting down to catch subjects at the high side of arcs.
I have seen a trick, once, I forget where, whereby you tie a string to your camera, at the midway portion of the string, and have the two ends make loops where you can insert your feet. It won't help support the weight, but it is said to help steady the camera, as you hold the string taunt with your feet.

I haven't tried that yet, so I can't speak for the results.
Intersting trick. I'd just hurt myself getting tangled in the string. :D
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:58 pm
Hansontoons wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pm . . . Right now I tend to have about a 15-20% keep rate for photos. . . .
That's quite good! We used to figure 2% was fair.
Hansontoons wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pmThe heavy lens and moving subjects are challenging to work with for me. Maybe if I was able to graduate from 12oz curls to something heavier, I might develop the upper body strength to take better photos!

We used to use the reciprocal of the lens length . . . for a 200mm lens, 1/250th or faster (when hand-holding).

I could usually go a couple of steps lower if I had a good position, and even slower with a rest.

I used to do night work . . . IIRC, I've taken exposures up to 15 minutes. Obviously, that requires a solid tripod.

--FreeFlier
Jets are a little easier, just have to worry about focus and keeping them in the viewfinder. Prop jobs need slower shutter speed to get that "prop blur" or they simply look like a well-done model hanging from the ceiling. I've not tried any night photography, it does look rewarding when you get it just right.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

One more from Doc showing the nose art, faithful to the original. Also included are a couple of Glacier Girl from Wings Over Houston 2009. They managed to beat out most of the dents reasonably well. I think GG changed owners soon after, hasn't been on the airshow circuit for a while. At least not to the ones I've been to since then.

I always enjoy the heritage flights where a modern jet is part of the fly-by.

DSC_6416.jpeg
DSC_6416.jpeg (149.24 KiB) Viewed 9402 times

DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG (219.8 KiB) Viewed 9402 times

DSC_0717.JPG
DSC_0717.JPG (184.86 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:13 pm That nose kinda reminds me of something in a sci-fi movie - Space Wars, or something like that?

Does B/W image help with memory? ;)

BTW, the yellow color on the frame is a reflection from a tow tractor parked in front of the aircraft.

DSC_6426.jpeg
DSC_6426.jpeg (150.64 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Ha! The canteen pouch I ordered arrived. While it is certainly different from the canteen pouches I was issued in basic, it will hold the metal cup with the older metal canteen (not sure how old, but it definitely predates the plastic ones with the drinking valve that connects to a gas mask), and I'm quite certain I could even get one of the old stoves that would fit with the cup and canteen in the pouch. The pouch also has two pockets on the sides, and while I'm not exactly sure what they were intended for, I'm going to put some water purification tablets in there (which is what I suspect the purpose of those pockets to be). I'm not sure if I should get a second canteen pouch, as I have two hydration packs, plus a 3L hydration bladder that is going to go into my rucksack. The only reason I might get a second is because I had been issued two in basic, along with a cheap version of a Camelbak (it was actually called a Hydramax; one of the packs I have at the moment is one of those).
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:34 pm Ha! The canteen pouch I ordered arrived. While it is certainly different from the canteen pouches I was issued in basic, it will hold the metal cup with the older metal canteen (not sure how old, but it definitely predates the plastic ones with the drinking valve that connects to a gas mask), and I'm quite certain I could even get one of the old stoves that would fit with the cup and canteen in the pouch. The pouch also has two pockets on the sides, and while I'm not exactly sure what they were intended for, I'm going to put some water purification tablets in there (which is what I suspect the purpose of those pockets to be). I'm not sure if I should get a second canteen pouch, as I have two hydration packs, plus a 3L hydration bladder that is going to go into my rucksack. The only reason I might get a second is because I had been issued two in basic, along with a cheap version of a Camelbak (it was actually called a Hydramax; one of the packs I have at the moment is one of those).
I was poking around in a military warehouse in Germany and found some old ones that were made out of coconut shells. Maybe you can find one of those to add a bit of variety from the plastic and metal ones.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Catawampus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:27 pm
Alkarii wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:34 pm Ha! The canteen pouch I ordered arrived. While it is certainly different from the canteen pouches I was issued in basic, it will hold the metal cup with the older metal canteen (not sure how old, but it definitely predates the plastic ones with the drinking valve that connects to a gas mask), and I'm quite certain I could even get one of the old stoves that would fit with the cup and canteen in the pouch. The pouch also has two pockets on the sides, and while I'm not exactly sure what they were intended for, I'm going to put some water purification tablets in there (which is what I suspect the purpose of those pockets to be). I'm not sure if I should get a second canteen pouch, as I have two hydration packs, plus a 3L hydration bladder that is going to go into my rucksack. The only reason I might get a second is because I had been issued two in basic, along with a cheap version of a Camelbak (it was actually called a Hydramax; one of the packs I have at the moment is one of those).
I was poking around in a military warehouse in Germany and found some old ones that were made out of coconut shells. Maybe you can find one of those to add a bit of variety from the plastic and metal ones.
I'll begin-

I was under the impression that coconuts are tropical...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Hansontoons wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:10 pm
Catawampus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:27 pm
Alkarii wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:34 pm
► Show Spoiler
I'll begin-

I was under the impression that coconuts are tropical...
Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

/puts a coco de mer in the pun jar/

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I stand corrected about Kee Bird. Close but no cigar on that recovery.

IIRC, Glaicer Girl is a P-38 G, noted by the sloping intake under the propeller. The P-38 J and later models had improved oil and intercooler systems which changed this intake to a "chin" visible here. Also, my dad! 318 Fighter Squadron, 1944

Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:58 pm

I dunno - i used to get decent results blown up to 8 x 10 {defined as shots i'd be happy to show off} with a 210mm zoom, back in my full-frame 35mm days, at 1/125 or 1/60. {Of course, i was fifty years younger then.}

These days with my APS-format Nikon D5300 with the VR lenses, i can get decent shots my 200mm zoom handheld down to about 1/30.

========================

Damn, i wish i still had copies of the shots my folks used in the print ad covering the opening of a new bank in Cape Fear NC that they were doing PR for - about 1970.

They had hired a local pro to shoot the opening; Dad {who had, at one time or another, been a semi-pro photographer himself} took one look at the guy and working asked me what i had in my Olympus PEN FT {half-frame SLR} - which happened to be Plus-X {ASA 125 B&W, for those not familiar with it}. He told me to sort of hang out in the bank lobby after the ribbon-cutting and take all the available-darkness candida i could and he'd pay for processing and take any that he thought they could use.

As it turned out, the full-page - maybe double-page? - ad that they took in the local paper later that week used several of my shots from inside the lobby {including one Little Old Lady i stalked for several minutes before i got the Perfect Shot} ...and the only shot they used from the local pro was an exterior shot of the ribbon-cutting.

Not that i'm saying that i was better then he was, but i was shooting without flash with a small camera, so i was able to get shots of people actually looking around or doing business ... and he had a Pentax with a strobe that looked like it belonged on the Yellow Submarine's coning tower - a Strobonar, as i recall - and people tended to spot him and either duck or pose.

I was working with a 50 - 90mm zoom on the FT - the equivalent of 70 - 125mm for full frame.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Not sure whether i got this with the Olympus E620 Four-Thirds with the 40 - 150 zoom ... or with the Nikon D5100 i traded the Olympus in on, with the 80 - 200 mm.

When i first shared it online i called it "Natural and Artificial". Some got it immediately, some took a while longer.
xnatural_and_artificial.jpg
xnatural_and_artificial.jpg (157.4 KiB) Viewed 10531 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:22 am
FreeFlier wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:58 pmWe used to use the reciprocal of the lens length . . . for a 200mm lens, 1/250th or faster (when hand-holding).

I dunno - i used to get decent results blown up to 8 x 10 {defined as shots i'd be happy to show off} with a 210mm zoom, back in my full-frame 35mm days, at 1/125 or 1/60. {Of course, i was fifty years younger then.}

These days with my APS-format Nikon D5300 with the VR lenses, i can get decent shots my 200mm zoom handheld down to about 1/30.
It depends on your steadiness . . . I have gotten good results at 1/8th with a 135mm*, but the reciprocal rule is easy to remember and good under most conditions.

It's like Sunny Sixteen that way.

(*Of course, I was 40 years younger then, and in practice.)
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:22 amDamn, i wish i still had copies of the shots my folks used in the print ad covering the opening of a new bank in Cape Fear NC that they were doing PR for - about 1970.

They had hired a local pro to shoot the opening; Dad {who had, at one time or another, been a semi-pro photographer himself} took one look at the guy and working asked me what i had in my Olympus PEN FT {half-frame SLR} - which happened to be Plus-X {ASA 125 B&W, for those not familiar with it}. He told me to sort of hang out in the bank lobby after the ribbon-cutting and take all the available-darkness candida i could and he'd pay for processing and take any that he thought they could use.

As it turned out, the full-page - maybe double-page? - ad that they took in the local paper later that week used several of my shots from inside the lobby {including one Little Old Lady i stalked for several minutes before i got the Perfect Shot} ...and the only shot they used from the local pro was an exterior shot of the ribbon-cutting.

Not that i'm saying that i was better then he was, but i was shooting without flash with a small camera, so i was able to get shots of people actually looking around or doing business ... and he had a Pentax with a strobe that looked like it belonged on the Yellow Submarine's coning tower - a Strobonar, as i recall - and people tended to spot him and either duck or pose.

I was working with a 50 - 90mm zoom on the FT - the equivalent of 70 - 125mm for full frame.
Yeah, it works that way . . . sounds like he was more of a studio or industrial pro than a event pro. It's a significant difference.

Reminds me of taking a family portrait for a friend to give to his grandparents for Christmas . . . we were having a very devil of a time getting the 5- or 6-year-old boy to pose: he hated it, and was refusing to look at the camera, ducking, closing his eyes . . . pretty much everything he could to avoid getting his picture taken.

Then he suddenly said something about "no flash" . . . I responded "No, there's no flash on this camera" and suddenly everything was fine! (Technically there was a flash, but I wasn't using it . . . I seldom use flash.)

When thinking about it later, I suddenly realized what was going on: the flash hurt his eyes! I called his dad and told him, and there was this silence . . . he'd done the same as a kid! I should have caught on earlier, because I'd done the same . . . my dad was the only one who'd been able to get eyes-open pictures of me, because his camera (an Exacta) didn't have a flash. (That's probably part of why I seldom use a flash.)

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I learned how to make an alpine coil last night, and I had an idea for attaching my climbing rope to my rucksack, once I get my e-tool pouch and a couple of others mounted onto it. I'd make sure to make the coil wide enough to fit around the pouches with enough space for me to be able to get to the gear inside, and then use a couple of carabiners and some of my 1100 paracord to make a means of hooking the rope to it.

The downside is that the rope is bright blue, and stands out, so I'm gonna see about getting some heavy duty camo fabric, and making something that can cover all the external gear.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

It's good to have some stuff that's not cammo in your kit, especially if it's important. I recall a tale of an Air Force pilot who had to eject over a forested area. He landed without injury. During the process of sorting out his survival kit, he put down a knife, then spent the next full hour searching for it somewhere in the leaf litter around him. His next decision was to take the paracord and tie -everything- to him by a lanyard.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Something that can be used as a ground-air panel is also a good idea . . . it allows you to mark your position for air searchers.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, I was actually planning to order a safety orange emergency shelter from Coalcracker Bushcraft, or just get one from Bass Pro. The former has ties attached to it, and folds up to be really small, but the latter has a reflective side.

Though, I really do want to keep my climbing rope hidden, especially during turkey season, as it's a light blue.