More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: More Stuff

Post by TazManiac »

There's something to that...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

You'd have the others dangling and probably getting in the way . . . you'll have to try it and decide if that's a problem or not.

Tangling would also seem a likely issue.

Perhaps snap-clips to allow switching things to a single lanyard when needed?

--FreeFlier
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:11 pmI had also noticed that a lot of my small tools have lanyard holes, so I was thinking... Why not have all of them on midline loops on the same cord, so I don't have to keep cutting cordage? I don't actually know if that's a good idea or not, as I'd be pulling out several small things every time I need just one, but at the same time, I'd only have to pull on one cord, and I can keep everything in the same pouch.
Get a rectangle of something such as leather, heavy canvas, or whatever, and fold it in half like a book. Inside, along the top of the back cover, stitch in a row of loops that you can attach carabiners or similar clips to. Then you can hook your smaller bits of gear onto the clips, use a tie to fasten the whole "book" closed, and then stuff it into a pouch or hang it from a strap or whatever. That way you keep those little bits of gear together and protected, they're less likely to get tangled on each other or snag on random things, and they stay quiet instead of rattling around.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

That sounds pretty cool, but I just stuffed everything intp a pouch on my vest on a loooong lanyard. However, my intention isn't to simply go with my first idea. I plan to try several different methods, so I can figure out which works best for me.

And I just now realized... I put this "lifeline" in the wrong pouch. I put it on the right side of the vest, instead of the left (I think I mentioned being left handed before). The good thing is, I can easily move it, because all I did was tuck one end of the loop through the webbing, then passed the rest of it through that bit of the loop.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I tried on my poncho today, just to get a look at the thing, and I noticed that there's a string in there, kind of like what would be used for a drawstring, but it isn't set up as one. It's clearly meant to be there, but I have no clue what it's for. I don't recall seeing one on the poncho I was issued in basic.

This is a military style poncho, and it was made by Brandit, if that helps.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Is the drawstring meant to cinch up the waist?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:59 am I tried on my poncho today, just to get a look at the thing, and I noticed that there's a string in there, kind of like what would be used for a drawstring, but it isn't set up as one. It's clearly meant to be there, but I have no clue what it's for. I don't recall seeing one on the poncho I was issued in basic.

This is a military style poncho, and it was made by Brandit, if that helps.
It could be for securing it so that it doesn't flap around when you wear it. Or some are designed to be lashed to other ponchos and used as tents.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Now that I think about it, some items that are extremely collapsible when not in use, have a string attached to bind it in a small bundle....
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I just checked it out again, and I feel like a dope for not realizing this before now: if you put the string behind your head as you put on the poncho, it can keep the front from blowing away from your body, and probably reduce the amount of rain that gets on your legs.

Buuuut... I got a wash in water repellant, and I can use it on my tactical pants, which is a much cheaper alternative to getting waterproof tactical pants in the Flecktarn pattern.
I'm gonna try to try to get an actual Gore-tex rain suit sometime soon, but in the meantime, I have a regular rain suit in that pattern that is meant to be put on over regular clothing.

I also saw a video by Coalcracker Bushcraft on YouTube where he's showing an emergency shelter that his company sells. I think it's called the T6 Zero or something like that, but it's a waterproof tarp that is bright orange and has strings on two of the corners so you don't have to fiddle with a guyline. It can be stuffed into a pocket that is part of it, and you can get it so small that you can fit it into a pocket. I might get one, in case I get out in the woods and actually want to be found (in contrast to most of my kit being camouflage...).

I think I might redo the loops on my lifeline, without even having tested it. Right now, I used overhand loops for each tool, but I learned how to do the alpine butterfly loop, and I realized that if I put the tool in the middle of my palm while using the easiest method of tying that knot, I can get the loop tied around the tool in just the right way. Plus, they seem to sit better on the line.

EDIT: I didn't see the other posts, but yeah, this poncho has grommets and snaps on it. The grommets are for tying a liner to it so you can use it as a sleeping bag, and also for tying it with another to be used as a tent. I think the snaps could be used to assist in this function, but because I have the basha (the lightweight tarp for use as a shelter or ground sheet), I won't really need it as such.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I picked up some new stuff at the military surplus store today. Among my purchases are a brand new canteen cup, and an old metal GI canteen that fits inside. I'm going to try to replace the ring that holds on the cap chain, so I can remove the cap if I want to use the canteen to boil water or make char material. Not sure if I need the container to be sealed, though...

I also grabbed a folding stove and some trioxane fuel, though I imagine I can use hot coals in it, too.

EDIT: I just thought of something... If I need a sealed container for making char material for lighting fires, I can just take one of the tins for the Seresto flea collars for our cats and dog. Just gotta strip the paint off, and I think mineral spirits should do the trick. (I'm concerned about fumes if I simply burn the paint off.)
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

More adventures! "Doc", one of the two airworthy WW2 B-29 bombers was in the Houston area and I managed to get a few decent shots of it in the air and on the ground. The airborne pics were during takeoff and landing. I wasn't able to wait for a cockpit tour due to the length of the line and the fact I had to be in a different part of the state by late afternoon. Hopefully next time!

DSC_6327.jpeg
DSC_6327.jpeg (187.78 KiB) Viewed 9771 times
DSC_6332.jpeg
DSC_6332.jpeg (189.51 KiB) Viewed 9771 times
DSC_6392.jpeg
DSC_6392.jpeg (137.16 KiB) Viewed 9771 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

More...

DSC_6403.jpeg
DSC_6403.jpeg (144.68 KiB) Viewed 9769 times

DSC_6426.jpeg
DSC_6426.jpeg (157.34 KiB) Viewed 9769 times

DSC_6429.jpeg
DSC_6429.jpeg (170.08 KiB) Viewed 9769 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Last...

IMG_6495.JPG
IMG_6495.JPG (116.35 KiB) Viewed 9769 times
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

That nose kinda reminds me of something in a sci-fi movie - Space Wars, or something like that?

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

So - Fifi has a companion now! Shame Ice Queen burned during recovery, but at least they were able to salvage Glacier Girl. Good to keep those memories alive!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Very nice pix.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Out of curiosity, what shutter speed did you use, in order to get the slight motion blur on the propellers like that? Those are some nice photos.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:13 pm That nose kinda reminds me of something in a sci-fi movie - Space Wars, or something like that?

Why would this make me think of a falcon? It looks nothing like one... :?
:mrgreen:
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:13 pm That nose kinda reminds me of something in a sci-fi movie - Space Wars, or something like that?

You do get quite a view from those windows. I don't recall ever getting to be near a B-29, but I did once get to ride in the nose of a B-17. Probably not the ideal seating arrangement for anybody who is acrophobic, though. Or claustrophobic, for that matter: those airplanes always look so big in movies, but in reality they're cramped little tubes.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Atomic wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:00 am So - Fifi has a companion now! Shame Ice Queen burned during recovery, but at least they were able to salvage Glacier Girl. Good to keep those memories alive!
The name of the B-29 that burned was Kee Bird, it was a tragic story all around. Especially when one of the recovery crew died due to complications from exhaustion from the working conditions. For those that are wondering, Kee Bird was used for meteorology flights. The aircraft had a forced landing in Greenland and was left there after the crew was rescued. Decades later, an attempt was made to recover the aircraft. Over several seasons while the weather permitted, a recovery crew worked to get the aircraft airworthy. They succeeded. However, when they tried to fly the aircraft off the ice, their effort to provide a smooth enough runway didn't work. While taxiing on the rough surface, the shaking caused a gasoline powered auxiliary power unit to break free. The gas spilled, caught fire, and that was it. The flight crew got out ok but the aircraft was destroyed. There's a documentary out there about it.

Glacier Girl is a P-38 Lightning WW2 fighter that suffered a similar fate. It along with several others and a B-17 or two got lost over Greenland during a ferry flight from the US to Europe during WW2. All aircrew were rescued but the aircraft were abandoned. Decades later someone learned of the incident and decided to go look for the aircraft. Years of glacier movement and blowing ice had buried the aircraft deep in the ice. I think they found the aircraft by seismic methods, then started boring holes into the ice to find out exactly how deep. They had to melt a bore hole down to the aircraft, then melt a cavern to be able to section the aircraft to bring it to the surface. It wasn't in pristine condition due to the weight of the ice, but good enough to use for a restoration/rebuild. I have photos from an airshow, I'll find them this evening.

Edit: Kee Bird was on an electronic surveillance mission. Doc was used for meteorological work.

Kee Bird was named for the call of the Keebird, found only in northern climes. Known for its cry "Kee-kee-kee-rist it's cold out here!!!"
Last edited by Hansontoons on Mon May 10, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.