More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Typeminer

Re: More Stuff

Post by Typeminer »

Catawampus wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:28 am
Typeminer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:21 am And now I've got Henry Mancini playing in my head, for some reason. :mrgreen:
I can't imagine why!
Granny Flash wouldn't be laughing if the Panther had been driving that thing. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Yes, Pink cammo is great in desert areas. And keep in mind that Persian Gulf submarines are a bright blue because the water is so shallow, the blue matches the water.

Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm thinking that I might move the pouches that are on my vest onto the straps on my rucksack. This way, I can reconfigure the vest to be more like the FLC I was issued in basic, if I can find rifle mag pouches that have webbing on the front and also have retaining straps over the top. Then, I could mount a pair of canteen pouches on the front, with one of the metal canteen cups stuffed in there. Although, I can probably put off on getting the mag pouches for some time, since I really doubt that things could get so bad I'd need to do that, especially since I have a bail out bag. It's almost like a messenger bag, but it has magazine pockets on one side, and PALS webbing in some places, including the inside of the bag. I assume that is for putting pouches inside the bag so you can organize the contents a little bit.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Howdy, buckaroos. It's Hansontoons adventure time again. Here are some shots from my experience on the tall ship Elissa out of Galveston. She's a square rigged barque built in 1877 in Aberdeen, Scotland. She has an iron hull and was originally only sail powered until an engine was installed around 1910. She carried cargo around the world, eventually winding up a motor powered, mastless hull smuggling cigarettes in the Mediterranean. She was found in a scrapyard in the 1980's, patched up and towed to Galveston where she was restored to what she is today. An amazing story.

The day was blustery with rolling seas that left some of the folks on board chumming for sharks with breakfast, lunch, or both. It was a bucket list experience that I'll most likely do again.

IMG_6392.JPG
IMG_6392.JPG (145.63 KiB) Viewed 9871 times
DSC_6286.jpeg
DSC_6286.jpeg (153.82 KiB) Viewed 9871 times
DSC_6289.jpeg
DSC_6289.jpeg (160.87 KiB) Viewed 9871 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Next group-
DSC_6295.jpeg
DSC_6295.jpeg (161.06 KiB) Viewed 9871 times
DSC_6291.jpeg
DSC_6291.jpeg (155.59 KiB) Viewed 9871 times
IMG_6429.JPG
IMG_6429.JPG (125.6 KiB) Viewed 9871 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Challenger007 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:10 am My quarantine is not so interesting. I just decided to go in for sports, fixed the ONETWOFIT crossbar in my yard - it was inexpensive and helps to pass the time.
And, crossbar exercise has a definite advantage over a sail on a tall ship - it's much less likely to cause motion sickness.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:07 am
Challenger007 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:10 am My quarantine is not so interesting. I just decided to go in for sports, fixed the ONETWOFIT crossbar in my yard - it was inexpensive and helps to pass the time.
And, crossbar exercise has a definite advantage over a sail on a tall ship - it's much less likely to cause motion sickness.
Unless you live in Los Angeles or San Francisco
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, given how there's currently a huge surge in freight that all carriers have to deal with now, the gear I ordered last week (poncho, tarp, sleeping bag, and bivy cover) won't get here until next week. I'm considering just buying all the remaining gear at once so there's only one shipment.

Although, at the same time, I need to be looking for another job already, because things are falling apart at work. Three drivers quit this week, and then my boss quit, too. We have less than a dozen drivers trying to cover most of the entire state, and it isn't going to work. Getting late starts almost every day now is getting everyone pissed as hell.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:10 amAlthough, at the same time, I need to be looking for another job already, because things are falling apart at work. Three drivers quit this week, and then my boss quit, too. We have less than a dozen drivers trying to cover most of the entire state, and it isn't going to work. Getting late starts almost every day now is getting everyone pissed as hell.
I've forgotten - who do you drive for?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

At the moment, I drive for DHL.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the poncho, sleeping bag, and tarp arrived today. I had gone to the climbing equipment store in Little Rock, and got myself some decent waterproof climbing boots, hiking socks, a few locking carabiners and a ring (though, really, rope for rappelling can be passed through the carabiner, if you hook it to your harness the correct way), and a decent folding saw. A Silky Gomboy saw. Not cheap, but a damn good saw.

I also saw the new Mortal Kombat movie today. It wasn't bad, though a couple scenes seemed to be kind of awkward.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:06 pm At the moment, I drive for DHL.
I spent several years driving for Hertz until my knee blew out {nothing to do with the job} - hurt like hell - and i needed arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus cartilage.

Luckily, Kate had only barely completed her ninety days working for the county so i had the kind of insurance that let us afford it.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

That Silky Gomboy does look like a damn nice, easy-packing saw.

All my gear regrets are from buying cheap crap that didn't work. I've never regretted buying anything that was up to the job, though it's always happier to get it at a good price.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Also, my mom, who was a champ with fabric and gardening, told me once that I'd never be sorry buying stuff by Fiskars, and their scissors, anyhow, are reasonably priced.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:22 am All my gear regrets are from buying cheap crap that didn't work. I've never regretted buying anything that was up to the job, though it's always happier to get it at a good price.
"Cheap is often very expensive." (me)
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:09 am
Typeminer wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:22 am All my gear regrets are from buying cheap crap that didn't work. I've never regretted buying anything that was up to the job, though it's always happier to get it at a good price.
"Cheap is often very expensive." (me)
Vimes' Boots {PTerry}

or, perhaps

"Low Budget" {Ray Davies}
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, a comment I saw on the review video for the rucksack I bought stated "buy once, cry once" when referring to the hefty price tag.

I'm not sure I like the sheath of the saw, because it doesn't seem to lend itself very well to mounting to a belt or bag, but I think I have an idea for how to attach it to the webbing on my ruck, or transfer it to a belt or whatever, using paracord and some relatively simple knots.

Because the tarp folds up to be pretty damn small, and the poncho rolls up to be almost as small, I might be able to get away with keeping both in cargo pockets. I know when I was in basic, that's where we kept our ponchos when we had them. I'm thinking about taking one of the 50' bundles of paracord and making it into a prepared guyline, with a couple of prussic knots on it and the proper knots (like a trucker's hitch) on the ends, so whenever I need to set up, I can deploy it a little bit quicker. This might go in either one of my cargo pockets, or I can just put it in the vest or a belt pouch.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Woo! My Gore-Tex bivy arrived! Now I can sleep outdoors in a rainstorm and still be warm and dry. If I order a 4 season sleeping bag and use it in conjunction with the rest of my gear, I could probably sleep in just my skivvies on the coldest nights of the year.

The sleeping gear I have so far: a 2 season mummy sleeping bag, a pair of poncho liners, one with a zipper, that bivy bag, and a US military issue self inflating bedroll. When you include the tarp, deployed as a low tent, I could probably rough it for a weekend.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

A few more from Elissa. Night atmosphere, Texas flag on the mainmast, and her figurehead.

E0BF5DD0-3C0D-4D78-B91D-E48982C0BFAE 2.jpg
E0BF5DD0-3C0D-4D78-B91D-E48982C0BFAE 2.jpg (131.31 KiB) Viewed 9596 times
DSC_6303 3.16.17 PM.jpeg
DSC_6303 3.16.17 PM.jpeg (183.95 KiB) Viewed 9596 times
DSC_6272 3.16.17 PM.jpeg
DSC_6272 3.16.17 PM.jpeg (148.64 KiB) Viewed 9596 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Aaarr Matey...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I picked up some stuff today, including a waterproof lighter case. It comes with a lighter in it, and you're supposed to use the classic Bic lighters for it. I'm going to dummy cord the cap to the main part of the case, probably with the #36 bank line I picked up.

I had also noticed that a lot of my small tools have lanyard holes, so I was thinking... Why not have all of them on midline loops on the same cord, so I don't have to keep cutting cordage? I don't actually know if that's a good idea or not, as I'd be pulling out several small things every time I need just one, but at the same time, I'd only have to pull on one cord, and I can keep everything in the same pouch.