More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

FreeFlier

Re: More Stuff

Post by FreeFlier »

Alkarii wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:37 am . . . Though, I really do want to keep my climbing rope hidden, especially during turkey season, as it's a light blue.
Yeah, good idea.

There's a reason turkey hunters don't wear red!

Besides that turkeys can see red.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Red...? No, I said blue, but turkey hunters don't wear either color while out hunting for exactly the same reason: both colors appear on turkeys.

On an unrelated note, I'm planning on trying to get a new job. Things at DHL have just gotten to be too much, and I'd like to be able to have a life outside of work.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Bookmark post for the 300th page
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Alkarii wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:46 pmRed...? No, I said blue, but turkey hunters don't wear either color while out hunting for exactly the same reason: both colors appear on turkeys. . . .
Exactly.

I should have said "don't wear red either", but for most other kinds of hunting wearing red or blaze orange is legally required (for those who don't know).

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

FreeFlier wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:02 am I should have said "don't wear red either", but for most other kinds of hunting wearing red or blaze orange is legally required (for those who don't know).
Neon pink cammo is a favorite of some of the ladies around here, and is covered by the hunting rules as a "bright color" AFAIK.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm not up for wearing pink...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Okay, so this hopefully finds it self still on the 300th page....

The following link is an Aisling Bea compilation, the whole thing is good, but specificly- advance to the 15:50 mark and 'listen with interest' as she introduces her Mascot for the episode....

FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Atomic wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:45 am
FreeFlier wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:02 amI should have said "don't wear red either", but for most other kinds of hunting wearing red or blaze orange is legally required (for those who don't know).
Neon pink cammo is a favorite of some of the ladies around here, and is covered by the hunting rules as a "bright color" AFAIK.
It varies from state to state . . . the last I knew, some states had updated their regs, some hadn't.

At one point, some states theoretically didn't allow blaze orange!
Alkarii wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:40 pmI'm not up for wearing pink...
It would work fine . . . for invading Las Vegas.

In one story I wrote, the protagonist needed to go into the city's rougher district, so he put on urban camo: somewhat worn jeans, black athletic shoes, baseball cap with a company logo, tee-shirt, denim jacket, and drove a white blind* panel van with a magnetic sign matching the cap.

Naturally, nobody noticed him.

--FreeFlier

*blind: no windows in the back doors. A blind panel van has no windows behind the driver/passenger doors.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Alkarii wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:40 pm I'm not up for wearing pink...
Especially in a state with an open season on Pantera edwardsia. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I no longer work for Driven Force/DHL. I interviewed for a job installing solar panels, though I probably bombed it, so I'm gonna apply to a place called Natural State Medicine, where they grow medical marijuana.

Edit: post 6000!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:38 pm Okay, so this hopefully finds it self still on the 300th page....

The following link is an Aisling Bea compilation, the whole thing is good, but specificly- advance to the 15:50 mark and 'listen with interest' as she introduces her Mascot for the episode....

It stunned me, when I first realized they pronounced her name "Ashling"...

My favorite bit was the last one: Mary had a little lamb, in the style of Beyonce/Crazy in Love. :lol:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:10 pm Well, I no longer work for Driven Force/DHL.
Were you driven out, or was it your choice?
Alkarii wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:10 pmI interviewed for a job installing solar panels, though I probably bombed it,
Why would you bomb solar panels? Those things are expensive to fabricate! :mrgreen:
So... what did you bomb them with?

Alkarii wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:10 pmso I'm gonna apply to a place called Natural State Medicine, where they grow medical marijuana.
Umm... something about keeping out of the stock, something something...
Alkarii wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:10 pmEdit: post 6000!
Bapsh! Come back when it's over 9000... :P
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah... I got rejected by the solar panel installing company, but I also applied to a local tabletop gaming store.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I finally got around to making one of the quick deploy ridgelines for setting up a tarp shelter. I used a 50' piece of camouflage 550 paracord, and three lengths of #36 bank line (I would recommend getting braided; the twisted kind comes apart, even though the package says it won't unravel). It's pretty simple to make one, too. There's a video on YouTube by Corporal's Corner; I'll have to link it sometime.

I was going to make one using my bright orange paracord, but... It turns out that it's a 100' bundle, soooo... I'll get one that's half that length to make one to use with an emergency shelter, and use the 100' bundle for other applications, like marking trails, or using the outside as fishing lures.

I also saw a review video for a tool called a "Tactical Rope Dispenser," which houses a spool for you to put up to 50' feet of paracord on it, and it has a blade on it to cut what you need. I think I would put this in a 3-day bag (also called a "get home bag"), which would have much less in it than my AWOL bag is going to have. However, I could also get this bottle bag I saw, which, if properly packed, can actually hold the minimum gear one would need to survive for a few days, including redundant items, so you're not completely screwed if you lose a piece of gear.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, I ordered a 10' x 10' (3m x 3m, for metric users) shelter tarp, and I'm probably going to use the smaller one for other things, like catching rain water or whatever.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I just reinstalled the wallpaper changer in my new installation of Ubuntu Studio 20.04, and I just noticed this particular quote:
BOFH excuse #389:

/dev/clue was linked to /dev/null
And this one:
Give me chastity and continence, but not just now. - St. Augustine
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Being incontinent must have meant something different back then.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

He was referring to sexual continence, aka keeping it in your pants.

Something Zeus was never noted for.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:25 am He was referring to sexual continence, aka keeping it in your pants.

--FreeFlier
Chastity would cover that...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:36 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:25 amHe was referring to sexual continence, aka keeping it in your pants.

Chastity would cover that...
Not quite, even today, and especially not at that time.

Chastity refers to avoiding improper sexual conduct, and celibacy or continence to avoiding all sexual conduct.

For instance, a married couple could be chaste and still have sex with each other.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Woo! My 10' by 10' tarp arrived! It's a bit thicker than the smaller tarp, so naturally it doesn't fold down quite as small. It also didn't come with a bag of its own, so I may end up making one, but I'm not sure. Thankfully, I still have plenty of space for everything.

About the only thing I'm really missing is a stainless steel container for boiling water and making char material.