More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Re: More Stuff

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 am
Carbohydrates must necessarily be in the diet
Primarily because, short of being an exclusive carnivore (even cats aren't quite), they are almost impossible to avoid. You can't even season your meat without getting carbohydrates. (Salt is OK.)

The US's FDA states a minimum needed amount of carbohydrates, but admits that getting less than the minimum - all the way to zero - causes no symptoms as long as the person is getting enough of everything else including calories.
I saw an interesting study mentioned recently on the subject of "salmon starvation". It turns out that (contrary to previous thought) pre-historic Native American tribes in the northwestern US didn't actually live just on salmon for months at a time. Although dried salmon is an excellent source of protein, it has relatively little fat in it, and without added fat or carbohydrates in the diet humans can't get enough energy from salmon alone without suffering from protein poisoning (nasty and potentially fatal).

With new information (based on isotope analysis) it turns out that the tribes involved were supplementing their diets with other sources of energy. Those which could, gathered and treated and cooked acorns (lots of complex carbs). Others traded salmon to other tribes, in return for different types of (high-fat) fish or meat.

There's a related line of thought, suggesting that humans may have started the process of domesticating dogs, by feeding their scrap meat surplus to wolves. Humans living in the tundra areas would have had to live mostly on meat and fat, and many of the animals they killed would have had more meat (relative to their fat content) than humans could consume. Meat is left over, wolves scavenge it and become used to being around humans, those which are less afraid of (and less aggressive towards) humans get more access to the meat, and selection begins to favor wolves which get along with humans.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Something similar happened with smaller cats. Shortly after people started storing grain, they eventually noticed that cats were eating the rodents that spoiled the grain, and therefore they would provide water and possibly more food. Though, really, this is more of a case of cats domeaticating themselves.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Catawampus wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:04 pm
Atomic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:50 pm When you mentioned Flecktarn cammo, I flashed on the WWI German hexagonal aircraft cammo. You don't need subdued colors to be effective when breaking up outlines!
If you've got a bright, vivid environment, then you use bright, vivid camouflage. I've seen vehicles painted bright pink, because they were used in bright pink deserts.
WWII RAF Recon Spitfires were a pastel pink because their missions were just at sunset, and they blended well into the twilight glow and side lit clouds.

Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

And now I've got Henry Mancini playing in my head, for some reason. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Atomic wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:00 pm
Catawampus wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:04 pm
Atomic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:50 pm When you mentioned Flecktarn cammo, I flashed on the WWI German hexagonal aircraft cammo. You don't need subdued colors to be effective when breaking up outlines!
If you've got a bright, vivid environment, then you use bright, vivid camouflage. I've seen vehicles painted bright pink, because they were used in bright pink deserts.
WWII RAF Recon Spitfires were a pastel pink because their missions were just at sunset, and they blended well into the twilight glow and side lit clouds.

And i notice the roundels were not standard colours.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:00 pm WWII RAF Recon Spitfires were a pastel pink because their missions were just at sunset, and they blended well into the twilight glow and side lit clouds.
That's what the historians would have you believe.

I prefer to believe that the RAF was simply responding to wartime shortages, and decided not to issue an adequate amount of sunblock to those Spitfires. The chance that a Spitfire would survive long enough in combat to develop skin cancer was negligible.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:21 pm I prefer to believe that the RAF was simply responding to wartime shortages, and decided not to issue an adequate amount of sunblock to those Spitfires. The chance that a Spitfire would survive long enough in combat to develop skin cancer was negligible.
The (un)official rumor was that they were all pink at the beginning, and exposure to sun made them a blotchy green and brown. It seems that happens often with military aircraft.

My Deviant Art scribbles
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Woo! My vest arrived, and as I suspected, the pouches are removable. I'll enlist my brother's help later to get a proper fit. It has attachment points along the bottom so I can attach a pistol belt or patrol belt of some sort, which is a nice feature. It'd be nice if I could find a decent hydrator pack that can be mounted directly to the back of the vest, since it has the webbing on the back as well. However, my rucksack has a pocket inside the main bag specifically for a hydration bladder, with a hole for the drinking tube. I actually have a used Hydramax that I think is exactly like one I was issued in basic, and while it does have shoulder straps, it also has these little plastic C clips that I could probably use to quickly attach to the back of the vest. I'm not actually sure what the real purpose of the clips is, unless to quickly attach it to the webbing of a rucksack or assault pack.

I'm also thinking about inquiring with a local rock climbing club, since I think that there are some practical applications for knowing how to do that sort of thing.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Typeminer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:21 am And now I've got Henry Mancini playing in my head, for some reason. :mrgreen:
I can't imagine why!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Catawampus wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:28 am
Typeminer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:21 am And now I've got Henry Mancini playing in my head, for some reason. :mrgreen:
I can't imagine why!
Granny Flash wouldn't be laughing if the Panther had been driving that thing. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Yes, Pink cammo is great in desert areas. And keep in mind that Persian Gulf submarines are a bright blue because the water is so shallow, the blue matches the water.

My Deviant Art scribbles
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm thinking that I might move the pouches that are on my vest onto the straps on my rucksack. This way, I can reconfigure the vest to be more like the FLC I was issued in basic, if I can find rifle mag pouches that have webbing on the front and also have retaining straps over the top. Then, I could mount a pair of canteen pouches on the front, with one of the metal canteen cups stuffed in there. Although, I can probably put off on getting the mag pouches for some time, since I really doubt that things could get so bad I'd need to do that, especially since I have a bail out bag. It's almost like a messenger bag, but it has magazine pockets on one side, and PALS webbing in some places, including the inside of the bag. I assume that is for putting pouches inside the bag so you can organize the contents a little bit.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Howdy, buckaroos. It's Hansontoons adventure time again. Here are some shots from my experience on the tall ship Elissa out of Galveston. She's a square rigged barque built in 1877 in Aberdeen, Scotland. She has an iron hull and was originally only sail powered until an engine was installed around 1910. She carried cargo around the world, eventually winding up a motor powered, mastless hull smuggling cigarettes in the Mediterranean. She was found in a scrapyard in the 1980's, patched up and towed to Galveston where she was restored to what she is today. An amazing story.

The day was blustery with rolling seas that left some of the folks on board chumming for sharks with breakfast, lunch, or both. It was a bucket list experience that I'll most likely do again.

IMG_6392.JPG
IMG_6392.JPG (145.63 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
DSC_6286.jpeg
DSC_6286.jpeg (153.82 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
DSC_6289.jpeg
DSC_6289.jpeg (160.87 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Next group-
DSC_6295.jpeg
DSC_6295.jpeg (161.06 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
DSC_6291.jpeg
DSC_6291.jpeg (155.59 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
IMG_6429.JPG
IMG_6429.JPG (125.6 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

My quarantine is not so interesting. I just decided to go in for sports, fixed the ONETWOFIT crossbar in my yard - it was inexpensive and helps to pass the time. Now the wonderful weather has just set in, when you can safely hang around the street for half a day.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Challenger007 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:10 am My quarantine is not so interesting. I just decided to go in for sports, fixed the ONETWOFIT crossbar in my yard - it was inexpensive and helps to pass the time.
And, crossbar exercise has a definite advantage over a sail on a tall ship - it's much less likely to cause motion sickness.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:07 am
Challenger007 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:10 am My quarantine is not so interesting. I just decided to go in for sports, fixed the ONETWOFIT crossbar in my yard - it was inexpensive and helps to pass the time.
And, crossbar exercise has a definite advantage over a sail on a tall ship - it's much less likely to cause motion sickness.
Unless you live in Los Angeles or San Francisco
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, given how there's currently a huge surge in freight that all carriers have to deal with now, the gear I ordered last week (poncho, tarp, sleeping bag, and bivy cover) won't get here until next week. I'm considering just buying all the remaining gear at once so there's only one shipment.

Although, at the same time, I need to be looking for another job already, because things are falling apart at work. Three drivers quit this week, and then my boss quit, too. We have less than a dozen drivers trying to cover most of the entire state, and it isn't going to work. Getting late starts almost every day now is getting everyone pissed as hell.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:10 amAlthough, at the same time, I need to be looking for another job already, because things are falling apart at work. Three drivers quit this week, and then my boss quit, too. We have less than a dozen drivers trying to cover most of the entire state, and it isn't going to work. Getting late starts almost every day now is getting everyone pissed as hell.
I've forgotten - who do you drive for?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

At the moment, I drive for DHL.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the poncho, sleeping bag, and tarp arrived today. I had gone to the climbing equipment store in Little Rock, and got myself some decent waterproof climbing boots, hiking socks, a few locking carabiners and a ring (though, really, rope for rappelling can be passed through the carabiner, if you hook it to your harness the correct way), and a decent folding saw. A Silky Gomboy saw. Not cheap, but a damn good saw.

I also saw the new Mortal Kombat movie today. It wasn't bad, though a couple scenes seemed to be kind of awkward.