Gainesville GA 0545 16 January 2022

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Gainesville GA 0545 16 January 2022

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

It didn't start doing anything until after dark. At 0545 EST, the temperature was 28F, the wind was 23 MPH with gusts into the 30+ range.

And this was what it looked like out the front door {our car is at the left}:
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Re: Gainesville GA 0545 16 January 2022

Post by FreeFlier »

I had over a foot of snow a couple of weeks ago . . . I looked at it and went back to bed.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:19 am I had over a foot of snow a couple of weeks ago . . . I looked at it and went back to bed.
But where do you live?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:30 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:19 am I had over a foot of snow a couple of weeks ago . . . I looked at it and went back to bed.
But where do you live?
Seattle, basically.

Substantial snow is quite rare here.

And drivers go berserk when it happens.

--FreeFlier
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

We lucked out here. Only 3 inches of snow with rain at the end. I didn't have to shovel at all.

Brother and I were at our old place in the Alleghenies for the weekend, left Sunday morning ahead of the front. Half the eastbound traffic on the PA Turnpike was electric utility service trucks. Never seen so damn many snorkel trucks.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:00 pm Substantial snow is quite rare here.

--FreeFlier
We get the opposite effect, here...

We get lots of snow (just got a foot of it yesterday), and drivers fall into two categories: slow down to a crawl to keep it safe, or trust your vehicle so much (4X4, etc.) that you keep driving at "normal" un-snow-hindered speeds (whether that trust in your vehicle is well-founded or not depends on both the vehicle and the driver...)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Typeminer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:06 am We lucked out here. Only 3 inches of snow with rain at the end. I didn't have to shovel at all.
My town is proof against snow accumulation this year.

My old snowblower destroyed its engine (repairable but I don't feel like wasting the time/money on a 10+ year old machine) . I ended up buying an obscenely expensive new machine because it was either that or obscenely cheap junk.

As such, it will not snow to any accumulation I can't clear with a shovel this year.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I have no comment.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:00 pm Seattle, basically.

--FreeFlier
"Look, there's a snowflake! Close the city!" - some guy as we were coming out of our daughter's dance performance at Seattle Center, circa 25 years ago.

(We really didn't get much snow on that occasion - just an inch of ice on all the roads. Which, yeah, pretty well closed most of the city the next day. And I saved a couple people at a stoplight from possible injury and definite inconvenience: after a minor bumper-bump on an icy road, the two drivers were standing BETWEEN THE TWO BUMPERS talking it over - I yelled at them to move out of there, and not 20 seconds later a third vehicle contributed to the conversation and put those two bumpers hard against each other.)

(The mystery is why so many people in and around Seattle don't know how to drive in the rain.)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

lake_wrangler wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:18 amWe get lots of snow (just got a foot of it yesterday), and drivers fall into two categories: slow down to a crawl to keep it safe, or trust your vehicle so much (4X4, etc.) that you keep driving at "normal" un-snow-hindered speeds (whether that trust in your vehicle is well-founded or not depends on both the vehicle and the driver...)
My sister's first husband was into off-road driving - in mountainous, heavily-wooded territory - and explained to me that the advantage of 4-wheel drive is that you can get stuck deeper in the woods.

I got the impression that he didn't think highly of this advantage.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Warrl wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:40 pm My sister's first husband was into off-road driving - in mountainous, heavily-wooded territory - and explained to me that the advantage of 4-wheel drive is that you can get stuck deeper in the woods.
As I used to teach my students: "Four wheel go does not mean four wheel stop. You have four wheel stop all of the time. In the rough, coefficient of friction is NOT your friend."
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:37 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:00 pm Seattle, basically.

--FreeFlier
"Look, there's a snowflake! Close the city!" - some guy as we were coming out of our daughter's dance performance at Seattle Center, circa 25 years ago.

(We really didn't get much snow on that occasion - just an inch of ice on all the roads. Which, yeah, pretty well closed most of the city the next day. And I saved a couple people at a stoplight from possible injury and definite inconvenience: after a minor bumper-bump on an icy road, the two drivers were standing BETWEEN THE TWO BUMPERS talking it over - I yelled at them to move out of there, and not 20 seconds later a third vehicle contributed to the conversation and put those two bumpers hard against each other.)

(The mystery is why so many people in and around Seattle don't know how to drive in the rain.)
"What's the matter, Bjarni?"
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:37 pm
► Show Spoiler
They can't drive any other time, so why would rain improve that?

--FreeFlier