Trivia - i don't know why

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Trivia - i don't know why

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

How many Great Lakes are there?

For that matter, how many lakes are there in the British Lake District?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Re: Trivia - i don't know why

Post by FreeFlier »

Five, though technically Michigan and Huron are joined . . . but in the ordinary sense there are five.

Many?

/checks wikipedia/ Oh.
► Show Spoiler
--FreeFlier
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

+/- enough to fill the Albert Hall?
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:02 am Five, though technically Michigan and Huron are joined . . . but in the ordinary sense there are five.

Many?

/checks wikipedia/ Oh.
► Show Spoiler
--FreeFlier
Yep

Hydrologically, Michigan/Huron is one lake, with a narrow {well, 3-1/2 miles wide} neck connecting the two lobes at the Mackinac Strait, where at different times the water may flow between the two in one direction or the other, unlike with two true lakes connected by a river, as the others are.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Once you asked the question, my test awareness kicked in . . . nobody asks questions like that unless the answer is not what you expect.

What's the deadliest shipwreck on record?

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 pm Once you asked the question, my test awareness kicked in . . . nobody asks questions like that unless the answer is not what you expect.

What's the deadliest shipwreck on record?

--FreeFlier
In the Great Lakes?

No idea if it's the deadliest, but I know this one made it into a song...

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

More on the subject of the Edmund Fitzgerald:

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Another documentary on the Edmund Fitzgerald, this one containing recordings of communications from that night.

Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

My brother's father in law was on duty as a radio operator in the military the night that ship sank. I'd also been to one of the light houses up there, and one of them had one of the life rings from that ship on display.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

lake_wrangler wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:42 am
FreeFlier wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 pm . . . What's the deadliest shipwreck on record? . . .
In the Great Lakes?
I actually meant worldwide, but in the lakes also works, just with a different answer.
lake_wrangler wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:42 amNo idea if it's the deadliest, but I know this one made it into a song...
► Show Spoiler
Nope - 29 dead. Not even close. Squaring the death toll would be about right.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Hmmm - the excursion boat that capsized in the Chicago River {which, BTW, was mostly loaded with Czech/Bohemian employees of Chicago Edison ...where my grandfather was a senior electrician}?

Well - the SS Eastland disaster referenced above killed 844...

=====================

Regarding the Fitzgerald - as i recall, when they raised her,. they discovered that what had happened was pretty much what i suspected - she got lifted by two wave crests at bow and stern and broke her back - which is not uncommon for craft designed like that - long and narrow.

And, of course, the Fitzgerald had been stretched significantly by welding in a new section of hull amidships, which would have made her more vulnerable to that sort of thing....
AnotherFairportfan

Here's another: What was the last World War One U-boat sunk by a US Navy ship, and where and when?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 pm Here's another: What was the last World War One U-boat sunk by a US Navy ship, and where and when?
I dunno, but I'll bet a quatloo that it was well after the war and not in combat.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:31 pmHmmm - the excursion boat that capsized in the Chicago River {which, BTW, was mostly loaded with Czech/Bohemian employees of Chicago Edison ...where my grandfather was a senior electrician}?

Well - the SS Eastland disaster referenced above killed 844...
That's the one!

There were a number of other passenger ships lost that killed several hundred, as well.
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:31 pmRegarding the Fitzgerald - as i recall, when they raised her,. they discovered that what had happened was pretty much what i suspected - she got lifted by two wave crests at bow and stern and broke her back - which is not uncommon for craft designed like that - long and narrow.

And, of course, the Fitzgerald had been stretched significantly by welding in a new section of hull amidships, which would have made her more vulnerable to that sort of thing....
They didn't raise her . . . they found her and dove on her, finding her broken in half.

/reviews Wikipedia/

I hadn't remembered that they located the wreck only four days after the sinking, and put the first ROV down the following spring.

They appear to be uncertain what caused her to break in half . . . hogging is one hypothesis, but there are others.

General information: lakers (lake boats - like submarines, they're always boats) are long and narrow because they need to pass through the Soo Locks, which limit both width and length.
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 pm Here's another: What was the last World War One U-boat sunk by a US Navy ship, and where and when?
I don't remember the number, but I believe it was the one sunk off
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:37 pmYep -
► Show Spoiler

I don't know about you, but I'm having fun with this semi-random trivia game.

--FreeFlier