Swimsuit season! (coming up! suggestions?!)

A little corner to talk bra sizing, good places to shop, helpful blog links, all things body positive.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

tatertotpixie

Swimsuit season! (coming up! suggestions?!)

Post by tatertotpixie »

Hey everyone!

Anyone have suggestions for cute but supportive one and two peice suits?!

I figured anyone could post their favorites & failures along with main measurements so we can get an idea of what would/could work?!

I've tried pinupgirlclothing.com for the Marilyn suit but was sadly disappointed, as the straps are pointless.
currently perusing the bombshell,bettie and hollywood suits but reviews can be a bit contradictory.
ShneekeyTheLost

Re: Swimsuit season! (coming up! suggestions?!)

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

My two cents:

First off, quality counts. And by that, I mean quality of material and craftsmanship. After all, wardrobe malfunctions in public is NOT what you want to have happen. For ladies of a voluptuous stature, standard Wal-Mart $10 specials simply won't work. They have neither the structural integrity nor the capacity to accommodate everything which a statuesque lady needs to keep in check.

So when choosing your outfits, it is important that you pick one which keeps the gals locked and loaded. So in the changing room, do a couple of jumps and see how your bust moves, or doesn't move, in it. If it's bouncing all over the place, odds are it's gonna bounce out sooner or later. Remember, water has more resistance than air. see if you can just tug it down. If so, odds are the gals are gonna pop out if you dive in. Also keep in mind that if you can just tug it down, so can any overly hormonal teen.

The bottoms also need to be sure they can't just be pulled down swiftly, both to avoid them flying off in a dive and to ensure that aforementioned overly hormonal teen doesn't try the same thing. I believe the term 'hip hugging' would be appropriate here. Discreet ties to keep them on your hips is a plus.

I'm not as big a fan of designer brands and styles, because every woman's figure is unique. So not every brand and style will work for your particular assets. I generally suggest going to a store which has quality products and trying various styles on until you can find one which meets your needs.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

My sister has gotten me some from here, and I can tell you personally they are durable, tasteful, and support the masses.

The tankini's and one piece's are pinup worthy for busty figures, and range from bright and cheery prints, to bold solids.

The boy shorts sets, however, do not. I refuse go even try the string or monokini's. The three pieces will probably be my next pick.

BTW, a better place(and very dangerous for me) for pinup dresses is http://www.daddyos.com/
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
tatertotpixie

Post by tatertotpixie »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:My two cents:

I'm not as big a fan of designer brands and styles, because every woman's figure is unique. So not every brand and style will work for your particular assets. I generally suggest going to a store which has quality products and trying various styles on until you can find one which meets your needs.
^^ this times 1000

Any suggestions on stores that DO carry large busted sizes in stock in the brick and mortar stores on a regular basis? the lingerie stores in Houston no longer do, as far as swimwear, and just checked with our macys (which is expanding their larger bust lingerie stock in general) they carry the suits online but never in stores… I peruse Nordstrom off and on but rarely find anything supportive (I wear a one peice or tankini) thats not matronly…
My last suit still sorta works but I hate the scoop back, it's from biggerbras.com
also looked at bravissimo & herroom & found some "maybes" on figleaves… maybe I'm just being too picky in my styling :\
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

tatertotpixie wrote:

^^ this times 1000

Any suggestions on stores that DO carry large busted sizes in stock in the brick and mortar stores on a regular basis? the lingerie stores in Houston no longer do, as far as swimwear, and just checked with our macys (which is expanding their larger bust lingerie stock in general) they carry the suits online but never in stores… I peruse Nordstrom off and on but rarely find anything supportive (I wear a one peice or tankini) thats not matronly…
My last suit still sorta works but I hate the scoop back, it's from biggerbras.com
also looked at bravissimo & herroom & found some "maybes" on figleaves… maybe I'm just being too picky in my styling :\
TJ Maxx.

I used to work there for a few years. They get in all kinds of crazy sizes, and you never know what is coming in on the next week. The B and C cups generally go by fast, but at my location, we had a generous selection of D and DD swimwear through most of the spring and summer.

Plus, they have good brands, at a fraction of the price, since you are getting the previous year's styles.

Glah, now I sound like one of their ads... but seriously, give 'em a look. No guarantees they'll have anything you want, or that it'll be in your size, but worth checking out at least.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

At the risk of getting slapped, might I offer that your birthday suit always fits?

American Association for Nude Recreation

Family oriented clubs and sites nationwide.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Julie

Post by Julie »

tatertotpixie wrote:

^^ this times 1000

I was going to recommend Bravissimo, but if you aren't a fan of the styles they offer... :?

Will you be in the Dallas area before swimsuit season really kicks into gear? I can't guarantee that my lingerie shop's selection of swimwear is better than the other places you've looked (since I've not gone shopping for a swimsuit in years...haven't been happy enough with myself to want to be seen in one, and the sun and I are not friends), but I know they carry stuff for the breasty-folk (since they accomodate my FF...and my GG when I was heavier). I mean, you can order from them online, but I don't find their website that easy to browse (i.e. you can't search swimwear by bra size), and trying stuff on is essential when trying to fit the larger bustlines. Anyhow, you could check out Loretta's Intimates to see if you find anything.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:TJ Maxx.

I used to work there for a few years. They get in all kinds of crazy sizes, and you never know what is coming in on the next week. The B and C cups generally go by fast, but at my location, we had a generous selection of D and DD swimwear through most of the spring and summer.

Plus, they have good brands, at a fraction of the price, since you are getting the previous year's styles.

Glah, now I sound like one of their ads... but seriously, give 'em a look. No guarantees they'll have anything you want, or that it'll be in your size, but worth checking out at least.
Maybe they should hire you for viral marketing...That Rennie Bard silver tongue oughta be good for a few bits...=p
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

I'm always looking for suggestions - I got a suit last year that was SUPPOSED to be an H cup, but it's really more like an F (though I think it's on purpose, it gives me crazy cleavage, but I don't really want that when taking my kids to the waterpark). This year I got a tankini top from Lane Bryant in the bra size I usually wear from them, but I haven't taken it in the water yet, so who knows how it will hold up?

I used to wear a suit similar to PinupGirlClothing's Bombshell swimsuit, with a microfiber(lycra, almost swimwear) plunge halter bra underneath. I ran the straps of the bra inside the swimsuit straps. I made tiny holes in the strap right where the strap joins the suit, and also behind my neck, then fed the bra strap through, and clasped the bra strap behind my neck, and tied the suit strap over - bonus was that if someone tried to untie my suit strap, the bra strap held it up.

But on its own, the suit was a total failure at holding me up. Now the suit is retired because I wore it so much it got threadbare...
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

I have consistently found that awesome can only be hand made, not bought, so I suggest a quality sewing machine and some willingness to learn.
toys4grownups

Post by toys4grownups »

I think there is no season for swimsuits. You can wear it whenever you want.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

toys4grownups wrote:I think there is no season for swimsuits. You can wear it whenever you want.
You don't live in a place that freezes for 3 or more month out of the year then. :roll:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Aed

Post by Aed »

Mark N wrote:You don't live in a place that freezes for 3 or more month out of the year then. :roll:
... or you're a 12,000 + year old golem and don't really feel the cold. :?
Julie

Post by Julie »

So I bought the top half of a tankini at my local specialty store during the 20% off sale they ran in late June/early July because our new house that we just bought (from my parents...it's the house I grew up in :D) has a pool and I haven't had a swimsuit since I got my first accurate bra measurement (almost a decade ago). Unfortunately the top half of the suit was the only piece I could afford even with the discount (it was $92 and change after tax) so I've been swimming in a pair of men's trunks I'd bought a while back to wear as pjs.

While it's awesome that there are swimsuit makers out there that cater to the large of chest, it would be even more awesome if a tankini didn't cost $150 after a discount. I will admit that the top does look great and keeps the girls exactly where they're supposed to be without smooshing them into uni-boob oblivion, but no swimwear is worth $150. $75-90 for a suit...okay...I can maybe get behind that. I know how much specialty bras cost, so the suits aren't going to be cheap either. But $90+ for just one part of the suit?? I get that it's a limited market (yay supply & demand), and that the cost for making them is going to be higher by virtue of the type and quantity of materials needed (not too many swimsuits for "normal" sized women require underwire and clasps in the top)...but come on! I just want to be able to wear women's swimwear like everyone else without breaking the bank to have one complete suit (nevermind the two or more that some people have...the glory of getting to choose which suit to wear today is one I may never again know)!!

And yes...I probably will be making a run to Target or something to buy a cheap black bottom to "match" the blue top I've got now since actually matching the color is going to be impossible...I just get peeved at having to piecemeal something from different stores and manufacturers so that I end up with two pieces of different texture, thickness, and quality...all so I can have one swimsuit. :evil:

/end rant
"Just open your eyes
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I suppose that you could learn to make your own, and cover your costs for materials by buying in bulk and then making them to size for other gals as well, but that would probably be a bit more involved than you'd want to get.

You could always try body-paint.

Just make sure it's not water-colours. . .
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:While it's awesome that there are swimsuit makers out there that cater to the large of chest, it would be even more awesome if a tankini didn't cost $150 after a discount. I will admit that the top does look great and keeps the girls exactly where they're supposed to be without smooshing them into uni-boob oblivion, but no swimwear is worth $150. $75-90 for a suit...okay...I can maybe get behind that. I know how much specialty bras cost, so the suits aren't going to be cheap either. But $90+ for just one part of the suit?? I get that it's a limited market (yay supply & demand), and that the cost for making them is going to be higher by virtue of the type and quantity of materials needed (not too many swimsuits for "normal" sized women require underwire and clasps in the top)...but come on! I just want to be able to wear women's swimwear like everyone else without breaking the bank to have one complete suit (nevermind the two or more that some people have...the glory of getting to choose which suit to wear today is one I may never again know)!!
I recall hearing a joke some years ago, about a woman who really liked a designer swimsuit, but was horrified by the price. "How can they charge so much for it?" she asked. "There really isn't very much there!"

"Ma'am, you're paying for the restraint" replied the store manager.

You're probably right, though... it's a combination of the materials, and the limited marketplace (having to amortize the fixed costs of developing and marketing it over a smaller number of sales), and just the "supply and demand" pressure pushing the prices up. I suspect that any item of apparel... and almost any other specialized product with few people making it, and thus little competition from the knock-off suppliers... probably suffers from a similar pricing unfairness.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Kickstarter to get Julie the suit of her choosing? :D
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

shadowinthelight wrote:Kickstarter to get Julie the suit of her choosing? :D
or she could put up a "wish list" on Amazon, like Paul does?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Julie

Post by Julie »

Catawampus wrote:I suppose that you could learn to make your own, and cover your costs for materials by buying in bulk and then making them to size for other gals as well, but that would probably be a bit more involved than you'd want to get.

You could always try body-paint.

Just make sure it's not water-colours. . .
Definitely more involved...and more time-consuming than I can manage. Body paint is certainly something I'd never considered. Probably still only a good idea when swimming in the backyard and we have no visitors though. :twisted: I guess I'm back to requiring at least one swimsuit in my closet. :P
scantrontb wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Kickstarter to get Julie the suit of her choosing? :D
or she could put up a "wish list" on Amazon, like Paul does?
LOL! Oh goodness! What an idea! That would turn me into a monster! The second I got one item funded, I'd start begging for everyone to fund my skivvies, too (since they're fairly expensive to begin with...and every girl should be able to claim they have at least one matching set). :P

I'm not going to admit how much time I've now spent thinking about the possibilities of a crowd-funding venture for my swimwear and undergarments. I'm just going to take a deep breath and walk away...because my wish lists will be reserved for Christmas (which means gifts I'm comfortable having my preacher's-wife grandmother buy me), and I don't know if I could face my friends, family, and coworkers (especially not coworkers) if I actually had a Kickstarter campaign for this stuff. ;)
"Just open your eyes