Find Your Way 2022-07-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

Find Your Way 2022-07-21

Post by Opus the Poet »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/find-your-way-2/

I disagree, I prefer a close-grained tropical hardwood from the Phillipines that has almost no visible grain and is moderately light but carves and sands almost as well as MDF over any of the temperate hardwoods. I haven't made a wooden model in 4 decades so I forgot the name of the wood, but not how it worked or took paints.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Sgt. Howard

Re: Find Your Way 2022-07-21

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Opus the Poet wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:32 am http://wapsisquare.com/comic/find-your-way-2/

I disagree, I prefer a close-grained tropical hardwood from the Phillipines that has almost no visible grain and is moderately light but carves and sands almost as well as MDF over any of the temperate hardwoods. I haven't made a wooden model in 4 decades so I forgot the name of the wood, but not how it worked or took paints.
Mahogany?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Nope, this wood is almost white and mahogany is a medium brown to almost black. I haven't seen it for sale in decades and I've totally forgotten the name. But it is so easy to work with, I just can't oversell how easy it is to work with.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Opus the Poet wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:11 pm http://wapsisquare.com/comic/find-your-way-2/

Nope, this wood is almost white and mahogany is a medium brown to almost black. I haven't seen it for sale in decades and I've totally forgotten the name. But it is so easy to work with, I just can't oversell how easy it is to work with.
Balsa matches most of your description... but I wouldn't describe it as "hard"...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Opus the Poet wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:11 pm Nope, this wood is almost white and mahogany is a medium brown to almost black. I haven't seen it for sale in decades and I've totally forgotten the name. But it is so easy to work with, I just can't oversell how easy it is to work with.
I've seen a good deal of furniture made from what was called rubber-tree wood which generally matches your description.

There are/were a lot of different tropical woods in the trade, but many of them have probably been over-harvested into commercial (and perhaps actual) extinction.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:32 am http://wapsisquare.com/comic/find-your-way-2/

Basswood/Talia/Linden?

Native mahogany is sometimes used for firewood in North Carolina and nearby mountainous areas...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

AFAIK this wood only grows in the Phillipines, the stuff I bought back in the early 70s was almost white it was so pale, and it was heavier than balsa but worked about the same but not as flexible as balsa.
EDIT: Google is your friend, the wood is called Gmelina Arborea and is readily available if you know what it is.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:26 am . . . EDIT: Google is your friend, the wood is called Gmelina Arborea* and is readily available if you know what it is.
I wonder if that's the "beechwood" widely used for rifle stocks in SE Asia?

In high school we got hold of some hemlock that was so hard it polished . . . we weren't sure of the exact ring-count, but it was approaching 100 rings per inch . . .

--FreeFlier
*edited to add link