Still Scientific 2022-04-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Still Scientific 2022-04-12

Post by Dave »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/still-scientific/

And therein lies the reason a lot of people are uneasy about science: it doesn't give you eternal, unchanging answers and absolute TRVTH to depend upon.

It just works to gives you the best answers that the facts then known will support.

When more facts are learned, old theories may be disproven (or shown to be limited) and new ones must be devised.

That's not a bug. That's a feature.

Very often, religion and politics amount to trying to prove that what you believe is right. Good science amounts to a quest to prove that what you believe (today) is wrong, or at least incomplete.
Opus the Poet

Re: Still Scientific 2022-04-12

Post by Opus the Poet »

This forum needs an upvote system so when someone posts a Profound Thought it can be recognized as such.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So, science is more about trying to find out what isn't correct.

Basically, futz around and find out.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Alkarii wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:04 pm So, science is more about trying to find out what isn't correct.

Futz around methodically and find out.

Record what you're about to do, what you expect to happen, and why you expect that. (If you have no idea, you can skip the last two parts.)

If what you're about to do is dangerous, make sure a copy of said record is at a safe distance. Along with another observer.

Do it.

All observers that are still around (hopefully including yourself), record what actually happened.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Warrl wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:24 am
Alkarii wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:04 pm So, science is more about trying to find out what isn't correct.

Futz around methodically and find out.

Record what you're about to do, what you expect to happen, and why you expect that. (If you have no idea, you can skip the last two parts.)

If what you're about to do is dangerous, make sure a copy of said record is at a safe distance. Along with another observer.

Do it.

All observers that are still around (hopefully including yourself), record what actually happened.
"The difference between fooling around and science is taking notes of what worked and what didn't." Adam Savage
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

And figuring out what results are reproducible.

If you can't reproduce them, it's not science.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I think it was Isaac Asimov who said "The true sound of scientific progress is a long low whistle followed by 'Now, THAT's interesting..."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:51 am

I think it was Isaac Asimov who said "The true sound of scientific progress is a long low whistle followed by 'Now, THAT's interesting..."
Or, alternatively: "Huh . . . that's weird . . ."

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

In theory a scientific experiment never fails. Either you get more support for your theory, which is good - or you learn something new, which is even better.

In practice, sometimes the new thing you learn is that you forgot to plug in the razzenfratzen detector.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Oh My Dog!, Look at all these Unread Posts!