Nothing Unwise 2022-04-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Nothing Unwise 2022-04-04

Post by Dave »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/nothing-unwise

(Dave seriously considers acquiring and cracking open a cold bottle of Welcome Bock.)
Atomic

Re: Nothing Unwise 2022-04-04

Post by Atomic »

And back we go in media res!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Of course, she's considering something unwise . . .

She's a teenager, unwise decisions are expected!

It's how people become wise!

(presuming they live through it . . .)

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I like the backpedaling from something stupid to something unwise...

He is wise beyond his years.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:39 am She's a teenager, unwise decisions are expected!

--FreeFlier
I look back to my teen years, and i wonder how any of us live long enough to drink legally.

I remember riding my bike down a long hill near home...

...with my arms folded...

...on a bike with a coaster brake...

...standing up on the pedals.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:55 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:39 am She's a teenager, unwise decisions are expected!

I look back to my teen years, and i wonder how any of us live long enough to drink legally.

That's quite do-able, as long as you don't have any unexpected obstacles . . . like unseen potholes!

OTOH, gasoline vapor is dangerous stuff! I swear it rained flaming boards for fifteen minutes!

but it was a truly glorious WHOOMP!

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

FreeFlier wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:33 am
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:55 pm

That's quite do-able, as long as you don't have any unexpected obstacles . . . like unseen potholes!

OTOH, gasoline vapor is dangerous stuff! I swear it rained flaming boards for fifteen minutes!

--FreeFlier
In my case it was riding down Big Cottonwood Canyon on a 10-speed with rim brakes and a massive blowout on the last turn. And pushing my G-tolerance to 14 on a homemade human centrifuge. That took almost a full 60 seconds to spin down from full speed with max braking. Again I don't know how I survived my teen years.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

I grew up in a coal-mining county, and a lot of people still heat with coal out there.

One time when I was about 14, everyone else was away, and I thought the furnace had gone out. We had a gas barrel, so I thought I'd use a little gas rather than screw around with kindling and everything.

Well, the fire wasn't quite out. Luckily did not burn down the house, but the splash did slightly melt the sole of one old sneaker I was wearing.

More than 40 years later, I learned my dad had done the same thing with his grandmother's kitchen range when he was a kid.

We also used to smoke cigarettes in the garage where we were washing engine parts in gasoline. Still wonder sometimes just how the @#$% I've lived this long.

My mother once suggested that people born to be shot are protected from other hazards. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

BTDT!

Experience is a lovely thing . . . it lets you recognize a mistake when you're about to make it again!

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

FreeFlier wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:44 am BTDT!

Experience is a lovely thing . . . it lets you recognize a mistake when you're about to make it again!

--FreeFlier
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you expected.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:09 am My mother once suggested that people born to be shot are protected from other hazards. :mrgreen:
"Well, sir, God watches out for drunks, children, and fools... and I don't drink.". (Enos)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

FreeFlier wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:33 am OTOH, gasoline vapor is dangerous stuff! I swear it rained flaming boards for fifteen minutes!

James Nicoll, originator of the quote about English following other languages down dark alleys, hitting them over the head and rifling their pockets for loose vocabulary or syntax is also celebrated in some sectors of SF fandom for his rather ... colourful ... life experiences.

Back when rec.arts.sf-fandom was a going thing, we used to wait with anticipation for James to share another of what cam to be called "Nicoll Events" with us.
Cally Soukop compiled a list...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:44 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:33 amOTOH, gasoline vapor is dangerous stuff! I swear it rained flaming boards for fifteen minutes!

James Nicoll, originator of the quote about English following other languages down dark alleys, hitting them over the head and rifling their pockets for loose vocabulary or syntax is also celebrated in some sectors of SF fandom for his rather ... colourful ... life experiences.

Back when rec.arts.sf-fandom was a going thing, we used to wait with anticipation for James to share another of what cam to be called "Nicoll Events" with us.
Cally Soukop compiled a list...
I always get a laugh out of that list . . . though it's a bit worrisome how many of those events I've experienced . . .

--FreeFlier