Stupid Brain 2021-06-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Stupid Brain 2021-06-07

Post by Dave »

TazManiac

Re: Stupid Brain 2021-06-07

Post by TazManiac »

(Forum loads okay, but I can't seem to get to the Main Page of Wapsi Square....)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

TazManiac wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:12 am (Forum loads okay, but I can't seem to get to the Main Page of Wapsi Square....)
(ditto)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave?,

I've sent you and bookworm a notice.
ziggy78eog

Post by ziggy78eog »

Color me confused, but I am not sure what she is getting upset about. Is she being angry at Cass, when Cass called her out on how she deals with her anger? Is she angry with herself, for reasons? Hopefully, that missing something will be added this week, to fill in the gaps.
Dave

Post by Dave »

ziggy78eog wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:52 pm Color me confused, but I am not sure what she is getting upset about. Is she being angry at Cass, when Cass called her out on how she deals with her anger? Is she angry with herself, for reasons? Hopefully, that missing something will be added this week, to fill in the gaps.
Based on the strip title, I think she just had one of those moments of uncomfortably-blinding illumination. She's just realized something about the situation that clarifies things, which she hadn't seen up until now, and which seems painfully obvious in retrospect. Her reaction in the second panel looks to me like a classic "Oh, crap, I'm an idiot, why didn't I see this before?!? Stupid brain! (walks away muttering to self)"

(I'm rather an expert in these sorts of blinding flashes. I'm a programmer, and they come up during code debugging all of the time. Usually they involve me being too blinkered to have seen my own stupid mistakes / bad shortcuts / improper assumptions. If you hear somebody bellow "AAAGH! Platt, you idiot!" it's probably me yelling at myself.)

At a guess (and we won't know until the main site comes back up and Paul posts some more strips) I think she's seen something about Castela's current discomfort with the situation... a different interpretation of what Cas is feeling, saying, or avoiding. That covers a lot of territory, of course, so I'm throwing a huge amount of spaghetti at the wall, and we'll see if any bits of it manage to stick.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

She noticed something, all right.

Cass was stammering.

That means something's up with her.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:15 pm She noticed something, all right.

Cass was stammering.

That means something's up with her.
It means "Call in ALL the aunts* and Digit and Atsali and Luci and Gran'ma Lily and Mom and hope that's sufficient to talk her down enough to preserve the world when she finally starts to really Lose It."
=============
* That is Aunts Monica and Shelly and Bud and Brandi and Jin and Tina and Nudge and Tanta Phix. Plus Connie and Bia
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:24 pm Dave?,

Better be careful, Dave: you've just been put on notice! :mrgreen:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:32 pm It means "Call in ALL the aunts* and Digit and Atsali and Luci and Gran'ma Lily and Mom and hope that's sufficient to talk her down enough to preserve the world when she finally starts to really Lose It."
=============
* That is Aunts Monica and Shelly and Bud and Brandi and Jin and Tina and Nudge and Tanta Phix. Plus Connie and Bia
I'm not so sure about Bia, though... too much bad blood between her and some of the other "Aunts"... Both Bud and Shelly come to mind... No time to archive dive, but thinking of Bud pounding sand (at the island) and ending up in a hole, or Bia ending up in a hole, or something... and Shelly being rather upset when she found out her mom was alive after all...
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:05 pm
TazManiac wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:24 pm Dave?,

Better be careful, Dave: you've just been put on notice! :mrgreen:
Yes, I noticed! Given the weather, though, I'm fairly sure that the problem with the main Wapsi server was not ice, so asking me to intervene gets a "no dice!". Nod eyes if you understand.
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:09 pm No time to archive dive, but thinking of Bud pounding sand (at the island) and ending up in a hole, or Bia ending up in a hole, or something... and Shelly being rather upset when she found out her mom was alive after all...
Bud blasted a hole in the sand at one point... and Conscience smacked Bia down into the sand (acting out Shelly's resentment) shortly thereafter.

If I recall correctly, Shelly and Bia have largely reconciled since then. Bia reacted to being returned to childhood pretty much as her father had hoped... she realized and regretted just how much harm she'd done to other people through her obsession and manipulations. Shelly was then able to relate to Bia as the person she is now, rather than as the resented mother she once was. The two of them were able to have the first real heart-to-heart talk of their lives.

Still, you're probably right that Bia shouldn't push it.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(yeah, my eyes are nodding...) I was just hoping you (Dave) had some secret 'two tin cans a piece of string' way of contacting those who could perform a laying on of hands...

Server was back up, then it was down, and of right now its back up again.

PS- I think its funny how Scar had a moment of revelation, Stupid Brain indeed.