Sick Day 2021-04-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Sick Day 2021-04-21

Post by Dave »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/sick-day/

Paul is under the weather and is taking the day off.

Dunno about where anyone else is, but the tree pollen has been brutal here in the SF Bay area the last few weeks. Killer hay fever... just what we don't need in the middle of a respiratory-virus pandemic.
Bookworm

Re: Sick Day 2021-04-21

Post by Bookworm »

If it helps, I've been having issues for .. ever, here in Houston, with allergies.

Weather was up to the 80's, now it's going to drop to the mid 40's tonight, and bounce around like a yo-yo for the next few days. Welcome to the Gulf Coast.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:08 am If it helps, I've been having issues for .. ever, here in Houston, with allergies.
I don't think there's any place we can go, except maybe the Arctic tundra, where there isn't a plant whose pollen causes problems for many of us.

I've heard that in some parts of Texas, at some times of the year, the pine pollen is so thick in the air that you can give yourself a blunt-force injury by walking into a cloud of it.

Scary.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm constantly sniffling throughout the day, having to explain 'April & May, my whole life...'

Yesterday was very cold in the SF Bay Area, but it was also very Windy- kicking up all kinds of crap...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Texas has so many overlapping pollen seasons that I joke about Texas has a 13 month pollen season. I'm allergic to grass and tree pollen, multiple species. Fortunately for me I get a reprieve when the weather gets really hot and plants go dormant from the heat. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Muttpupdad

Post by Muttpupdad »

Here in PNW, the pollen is just coming into full swing, making me thankful that wearing a mask now isn't so odd. Still a couple of weeks before I am home frr so even wearing one indoors at home.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

The pine and oak trees are fornicating up a storm here in Georgia - we bought a white minivan. This week i'm driving a pale yellow one.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I've seen it described as "some kind of twisted tree bukkake" . . .

My maroon car is sort of orangish . . . and somebody is burning stuff . . . poorly and smokily.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:51 pm The pine and oak trees are fornicating up a storm here in Georgia - we bought a white minivan. This week i'm driving a pale yellow one.
Wow, you're lucky. That's the pine pollen.

Here's it's the oak pollen. I get to drive a puke yellow green car.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

FreeFlier wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:25 am I've seen it described as "some kind of twisted tree bukkake" . . .
My maroon car is sort of orangish . . . and somebody is burning stuff . . . poorly and smokily.

--FreeFlier
That's my neighbors. They keep lighting up when the wind can drift it into other people's yards. They also refuse to share.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Dave wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 am
Bookworm wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:08 am If it helps, I've been having issues for .. ever, here in Houston, with allergies.
I don't think there's any place we can go, except maybe the Arctic tundra, where there isn't a plant whose pollen causes problems for many of us.

I've heard that in some parts of Texas, at some times of the year, the pine pollen is so thick in the air that you can give yourself a blunt-force injury by walking into a cloud of it.

Scary.
That's referred to as "East Texas". That is, from Austin, east. The scrub cedar in the hill country (San Antonio through north of Austin) produces pollen that can drift all the way to Houston. That's 120-200 miles.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:27 am
Dave wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 am

Scary.
That's referred to as "East Texas". That is, from Austin, east. The scrub cedar in the hill country (San Antonio through north of Austin) produces pollen that can drift all the way to Houston. That's 120-200 miles.
And when the wind is out of the south all the way to the Red River dusting DFW a light yellow as it goes. :mrgreen:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.