Ask Me Again 2021-03-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
FreeFlier

Re: Ask Me Again 2021-03-24

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 pm
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:25 pmAt one time, as i said, the standard charge for an auto demolition effect was a quarter stick of dynamite, ten pounds of cat litter and a gallon of rubber cement/liquid rubber {for those pretty streamers trailing black smoke}.

I may be wrong on how much kitty litter...
It depends on the size of the kitty. If a special-effects company uses Bengal tigers, for example, they'll use more kitty litter, to make sure that the flying cat excrement doesn't overwhelm the other parts of the explosion.
Now that would be some hot s__t indeed!

But you'd want to get it right so the explosion's purrfect, after all!

/puts a potted Nepeta cataria in the pun jar/

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

FreeFlier wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:26 pm And a bomb/explosive blast gives a white or yellow flash accompanied by a cloud of black smoke/dust/dirt, not a rolling fireball.

The movie fireball is the result of the bags of gasoline the special-effects man packs onto a small charge.

--FreeFlier
There was an episode comparing blowing up a car for a movie, vs blowing up a car to eliminate the car from existence on Mythbusters, and they let the kid of the car owners push the button to blow the car up both times. IIRC they wrapped 5 gallon jugs of regular unleaded with several yards of Detcord and they got a huge fireball that barely broke out the car windows and they didn't make people move as far back as the couple of pounds of C-4 that turned the car into multiple chunks of shrapnel, and a cloud of dust.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Well, you know - sfx was their day job...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.