Is the regular comic down? 16 March 21}

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Is the regular comic down? 16 March 21}

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

When i try to go there {both on the PC and on my phone}, this is what i see:
wp php.jpg
wp php.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 11043 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Re: Is the regular comic down? 16 March 21}

Post by Warrl »

That's not what I see... I get rather less than that.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Interesting . . . I don't get anything (blank screen), but downforeveryoneorjustme.com says it's up . . .

--FreeFlier
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

it's been down for me too.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Now I'm getting a 403 Forbidden error, and downforeveryoneorjustme.com says it's down, so apparently something changed.

--FreeFlier
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

And we're back.

Dunno what that was . . . maybe Cas did something she shouldn't have?

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm has been doing work on the Forum server and site lately, and it's possible he was doing some upgrades or other work on the main site as well.

Or, it could be a bunch of the frozen bits in the Texas telecom wiring, finally melting and oozing out of the fibers. If you don't remember to unplug at least 10% of the network RJ-45 connections and drop the ends into waterproof buckets, the stale bits will flow out into all the wrong places in your infrastructure. I know that darned near everything is virtual these days, but there's still a place for the good old-fashioned galvanized bit-buckets from the local server-farm store.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Dave wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:57 pm Bookworm has been doing work on the Forum server and site lately, and it's possible he was doing some upgrades or other work on the main site as well.

Or, it could be a bunch of the frozen bits in the Texas telecom wiring, finally melting and oozing out of the fibers. If you don't remember to unplug at least 10% of the network RJ-45 connections and drop the ends into waterproof buckets, the stale bits will flow out into all the wrong places in your infrastructure. I know that darned near everything is virtual these days, but there's still a place for the good old-fashioned galvanized bit-buckets from the local server-farm store.
My brother the comm tech never told me the photon bits were water soluble! But he works in DC, so they probably do a better job of keeping the fibers warm. I did ask him one time if the fibers are machine washable or dry-clean only. Never answered, for some reason.

I know from observation that microwaves are water soluble. The Dish TV loses signal when it rains hard. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I know from observation that microwaves are water soluble. The Dish TV loses signal when it rains hard. :mrgreen:
You know all those problems that the cable companies say you can avoid by having cable rather than satellite TV?

We used to have them all... then we disconnected from the cable and got a satellite dish, and they stopped.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:50 am I know from observation that microwaves are water soluble. The Dish TV loses signal when it rains hard. :mrgreen:
Oh, yeah, microwaves hate moisture of any sort. Fog bothers them, and heavy rain drives them to diffraction.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Also, FYI leaves can disrupt X-band speed radar. So when the cop hides in the bushes to nail you with his antique radar gun, you can call him out on that. This is because microwave ovens and X-band radar are very close to the same frequency, the microwave resonance of water. In fact the microwave resonance of water was discovered by accident when a tech left his coffee in the beam from a klystron he was tuning and the coffee flash boiled. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Warrl wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:21 pm
You know all those problems that the cable companies say you can avoid by having cable rather than satellite TV?

We used to have them all... then we disconnected from the cable and got a satellite dish, and they stopped.
Yeah, I have Comcast at my residence (which I MUST have, because my job requires internet, and Verizon has abandoned broadband here), and we have Dish TV at the family house in SW PA.

Just for TV, I like Dish better.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Where I live, it's DSL or satellite . . . and satellite is subject to weather interruptions and data limits.

--FreeFlier
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Yes - it was another upgrade step, in preparation for moving sites off of that machine, to one that's the latest and greatest everything. (well, latest, anyway, it's not always the greatest)

Most of the problem was due to PHP and MySQL arguing with each other, and neither liked the modules they were being told to use.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The comic forums of a certain webcomic based in Alaska has a whole thread on Starlink. Speeds are definitely faster than dialup, but nowhere near Cable.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin