Never Should Have 2021-02-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Never Should Have 2021-02-23

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Re: Never Should Have 2021-02-23

Post by lake_wrangler »

In other stories, this is where the voice would change to a real creepy tone...

Does this mean that Katherine is doing better at handling the past than before, or not?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:17 pm In other stories, this is where the voice would change to a real creepy tone...

Does this mean that Katherine is doing better at handling the past than before, or not?
Yes
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:17 pm In other stories, this is where the voice would change to a real creepy tone...

Comparing Katherine's first trip to Darrin's bar
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/speaksvolumes/

She's come miles
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

What has happened here, reminds me more than a bit of something that Delenn said in Babylon 5:
Delenn wrote:"John! It pleases me that you care for what I have become. But never forget who I was, what I am, and what I can do."
This revelation shows another layer in the complex onion-that-is-Katherine. We first knew her as just a shut-in introvert, living in a shell of her own making. Then, we learned about the trauma which had driven her into PTSD, and saw her break free of that shell, reclaim herself and a bunch of her former power, and save Atsali and Castela. Now, we see that even in the midst of the trauma and shock, she wasn't just a shivering victim - she struck back (albeit horribly) at those who had tried to kill her.

We are thus reminded of who she was. We see who she is now. And, we know more than we did about what she can do.

Do not mess with Mama Bear.

Handling it better? Yes, I'd say so. Not perfectly, but better. Talking about it with Castela wasn't a tearful or hysterical recounting of pain... it was just a straightforward acknowledgement of her own darkness and capability for violence and horror. She didn't divulge it apropos of nothing, but only to assure Castela that she could disclose her own fears and pains without risk of injuring Kath. And, she quite quickly realized that this was more than Castela really should have had to hear, and went into "comfort mode" immediately.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

In the old phrase Katherine saw the elephant, and was changed forever.

(In the usage I was accustomed to, it was specific to having been in combat, though not necessarily military combat.)

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:52 pmDo not mess with Mama Bear.
Of course, the first image that comes to mind when reading that, is this one:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/ready-for-the-world/
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

It's too bad there weren't any witnesses besides the soldiers who found her after her handiwork. Being forced to watch someone do something like that in retaliation to being attacked, well...

They could tell other people they fucked around and found out.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

"Then the survivors - if any - will know better." -anon.

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

FreeFlier wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:05 am "Then the survivors - if any - will know better." -anon.

--FreeFlier
Comments like this are why the forum needs a bandwidth conserving upvote system. Sure broadband makes that a moot point for most people, but there is still the situation with the capacity of the system drives that has to be taken into account.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.