Geeking Out 2021-02-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Geeking Out 2021-02-15

Post by Dave »

The young lady is into knives.

Combat knives. Not cooking knives.

At least, I hope not.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/geeking-out-2
Atomic

Re: Geeking Out 2021-02-15

Post by Atomic »

Isn't it always the quiet ones you have to worry about? Maybe you don't have to worry so much about her, then.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 pm The young lady is into knives.

At least, I hope not.
Oh, i dunno - in Tamora Pierce's "Trickster" books there's a family cook who's the armourer for the main cell of a rebel movement, and she orders lotsa kitchen knives...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

So, who's more badass, then? The one who is badass by nature, or the one who studied in order to become badass?

Meanwhile, Kat's bubble in the second panel has a typo:

"She could take an object from any room an[d] subdue, if not kill someone with it."
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:01 pm
Dave wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 pm The young lady is into knives.

At least, I hope not.
Oh, i dunno - in Tamora Pierce's "Trickster" books there's a family cook who's the armourer for the main cell of a rebel movement, and she orders lotsa kitchen knives...
I suppose I should have said "I hope she's not planning on butchering and cooking, what I think those knives are probably made to kill."

Interesting choice of steel. Apparently S5 isn't so great at holding an edge, and needs to be resharpened rather frequently if you use it, but it's very difficult to break. Just the sort of steel you might want for a set of blades you want to know will work, but might only need to work once.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

She and Miss Annie ought to "geek out" together on that sort of thing. Very dangerous woman, Miss Annie is... and that's just part of why I love her.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Rather reminds me of Margaret Browning from College Roomies From Hell (CRFH), right down to the curly brown hair.

Margaret is more into guns, but all weapons are cool.

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I get that level of geeky excitement when I get parts for my hot rod. You should have seen me geek out over the steering box and Pitman arm. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Almost everyone geeks out. What they geek out over, varies wildly. I've known a few football geeks.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I realized this morning that The Flash Girls did a song which is a perfect match for Roxanne.

Girl Needs A Knife

“♪ I bought myself a new knife… ♪”

Considering that The Flash Girls are from Minneapolis, and that one of the duo is noted SF/fantasy author Emma Bull (If you haven't read "War For The Oaks" yet, what are you waiting for???), and that I got to see them perform it live at a small pub in my home town and chat with Ms. Bull briefly after the set ... well, there couldn't be any other song I could recommend here.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:32 am Interesting choice of steel. Apparently S5 isn't so great at holding an edge, and needs to be resharpened rather frequently if you use it, but it's very difficult to break. Just the sort of steel you might want for a set of blades you want to know will work, but might only need to work once.
Throwing knives are frequently lost even when they strike their target. Just because you stabbed it doesn't mean you killed it. :twisted: Like with any ranged weapon shot placement is critical to a quick kill (if that's what you want, sometimes you just want to put a hitch in their getalong, and leave a blood trail to follow at a safe distance)
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 pmCombat knives. Not cooking knives.

At least, I hope not.
Depending on the kitchen environment, they may need to be dual-purpose.
Dave wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:32 amInteresting choice of steel. Apparently S5 isn't so great at holding an edge, and needs to be resharpened rather frequently if you use it, but it's very difficult to break. Just the sort of steel you might want for a set of blades you want to know will work, but might only need to work once.
If you're in a situation where you're using the same throwing knife over and over without time to resharpen it occasionally, then you're either training or else you're in a sitation where you shouldn't be using throwing knives.