Got Ya Now 2021-01-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Got Ya Now 2021-01-05

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I forget what stories it was in - probably Christopher Anvil's "Interstellar Patrol" stories - if you figured out that the super-secret agency existed, you were automatically hired/drafted as an agent.

I believe that may have happened to Scarlet like it happened to Katherine...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Re: Got Ya Now 2021-01-05

Post by jwhouk »

That's how Will Smith ended up in MIB, too.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

There have been a number of stories that did that . . . the one that I remember involved "The Beep" from an FTL communicator that allowed interception of messages any message ever transmitted by the device . . . and if someone figured out that they effectively had message from the future, they were recruited.

I've used the premise myself . . . anyone who figures out that werewolves and vampires are real gets sworn in. (And the oaths are magically binding . . . almost always.)

BTW, I've met another young woman named Acacia - she is sales staff at a store. (There's another Acacia who is a cashier at my favorite grocery store.)

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

FreeFlier wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:38 pm There have been a number of stories that did that . . . the one that I remember involved "The Beep" from an FTL communicator that allowed interception of messages any message ever transmitted by the device . . . and if someone figured out that they effectively had message from the future, they were recruited.
Just "Beep", i think - James Blish.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

"Since you're interested in conservation, your first mission will be to accompany agent-trainee Tsillah and agent Thymbris to collect some wild snarks for our snark-breeding program. By the way, I hear that you're a good baker?"
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:13 am "Since you're interested in conservation, your first mission will be to accompany agent-trainee Tsillah and agent Thymbris to collect some wild snarks for our snark-breeding program. By the way, I hear that you're a good baker?"
"Conserve", as a noun, refers to a jam or jelly or marmalade.

Ever since this topic started (this week) I've been suspecting that this might somehow apply to Scarlet's interest in the World Grid. The World Grid worldline-next-door event clearly put Daylla in quite a jam, and there was enough shaking and violence to have smashed almost anyone into a jelly (not Daylla, though, although she could have ended up looking like a crushed metal can waiting for the arrival of a goat).

Then again, I recall certain explorations of Mapimi in which our intrepid team of explorers ran across a Lanthian who had been conserved, and who was reduced to a (very finely divided) jelly when the bomb went boom.

So - is Scarlet planning to bake with a conserve, and if so, who what flavor will it be?

(Very tangentially related: over the holidays I baked fresh cinnamon rolls, entirely from scratch - first time ever. Kinda messy to make, in part because I substituted honey for the brown sugar normally used for the filling, but the results were worth the gloppiness. We're still nibbling away at them, a small piece at the time, garnished with some vanilla ice cream... so, we're conserving them. Have to go back to a more spartan diet soon, but it was a very nice treat.)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Today's fun fact:

Goats don't actually eat tin cans.

. . .
► Show Spoiler
--FreeFlier