Spooky Season 2020-09-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Spooky Season 2020-09-28

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Re: Spooky Season 2020-09-28

Post by Opus the Poet »

I love pumpkin spice season, almost as much as I like spooky season. Because after Spooky Season is Snuggle Season! Get close to your crush/love interest! :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Pumpkin spice season? Here ya go:
wench.jpg
wench.jpg (118.11 KiB) Viewed 10586 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

For those who have never visited the Wet Gill Tavern, Sarah {the blonde} gets away with her attitude and psychotic behaviour because, at one time, she was one of the kingdom's deadliest and most feared commandos.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Not surprising that Shawna see Pumpkin Spice Season a bit differently than most. After all, her favorite beverage is a Pixies-only brew with enough nutmeg in it to put a human straight into Intensive Care. An ordinary pumpkin-spice latte would be too bland for her to notice.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Does Castela plan to change her own leaves, or is she merely a fan of watching other plants do so?
Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:24 am I love pumpkin spice season, almost as much as I like spooky season. Because after Spooky Season is Snuggle Season! Get close to your crush/love interest! :ugeek:
All seasons are Snuggle Season. It's just that sometimes you have to coax your intended target into the walk-in refrigerator or freezer to make it more appealing.
Dave wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:52 am Not surprising that Shawna see Pumpkin Spice Season a bit differently than most. After all, her favorite beverage is a Pixies-only brew with enough nutmeg in it to put a human straight into Intensive Care. An ordinary pumpkin-spice latte would be too bland for her to notice.
Well, extreme amounts of nutmeg will shut down a body's monoamine oxidase-A enzymes, and those are responsible for producing the neurotransmitters that create the sensations of appetite and of the desirability of foods. So there's no telling what sorts of weirdness are going on with that pixie gal's palate.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, given her hereditary nature, she Moss be Lichen stuff that grows on Trees....
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Speaking of heredity, I never understood why anyone would want to fill a pool with jeans... :?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:21 pm Speaking of heredity, I never understood why anyone would want to fill a pool with jeans... :?
I suppose it depends on just who those particular Jeans are, and your own personal preferences.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Indeed. A pool containing Jean Grey would not be without its charms.

(Dave hums "By The Time I Get To Phoenix")
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:33 am Indeed. A pool containing Jean Grey would not be without its charms.
And a pool full of Earl Grey might attract some Jean-Luc Picards.

You want to avoid the Jean Valjeans, though. The jean redundancy in their name just makes for a miserable situation.
Dave

Post by Dave »

That last reference is so good I must declare you the victor - you go, man!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Wait ---- wait ---- Seems we're missing a loaf of bread? Anybody??
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:35 am That last reference is so good I must declare you the victor - you go, man!
Image Image Image
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Atomic wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:37 am Wait ---- wait ---- Seems we're missing a loaf of bread? Anybody??
Doesn't ring a bell.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Catawampus wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:43 pm
Atomic wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:37 am Wait ---- wait ---- Seems we're missing a loaf of bread? Anybody??
Doesn't ring a bell.
Wikipedia wrote:"Jean Valjean is the protagonist of Victor Hugo's 1862 novel Les Misérables.The story depicts the character's 19-year-long struggle to lead a normal life after serving a prison sentence for stealing bread to feed his sister's children during a time of economic depression and various attempts to escape from prison."
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

One could say that Valjean grew up a lot in the story: he ended as a mature, responsible, and self-sacrificing man, but in his younger years he was but a loafer.

(One who said this might be put to a painful death by an enraged mob of librarians and scholars, of course, so it's best we never speak of this again).

Gwen and I saw "Les Mis" on stage up in San Francisco, years ago. I still get a chill remembering "Bring Him Home", with Valjean pleading with God to spare the life of his informally-adopted daughter's lover Marius, and offering his own life in exchange.

"God On High... let him live...."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Atomic wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:21 pm
Catawampus wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:43 pmDoesn't ring a bell.
Wikipedia wrote:"Jean Valjean is the protagonist of Victor Hugo's 1862 novel Les Misérables.The story depicts the character's 19-year-long struggle to lead a normal life after serving a prison sentence for stealing bread to feed his sister's children during a time of economic depression and various attempts to escape from prison."
I suppose that things may have gone a bit too obscure. . .
AnotherFairportfan

Atomic wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:21 pm
In England at the same time, the sentence for stealing goods to the value of one shilling or bread to the value of two shillings.

There were other capital crimes - 222 of them, as a matter of fact. A sample {from this article}:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

A book I was reading a couple of days ago (The Floating Brothel, about the first transport of women to Botany Bay) reported that if you actually checked the final disposition of many such cases, they were commuted to Transportation beyond the seas for anywhere from three years to life; seven years was common.

IIRC, in some cases the time spent awaiting transportation counted, so it was possible to complete a sentence of transportation without ever leaving England.

Of course, this was after the prior punishment of transportation to America was no longer possible because those pesky colonists failed to appreciate their betters . . .

--FreeFlier