Spooky Season 2020-09-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Spooky Season 2020-09-28

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Yeah, i knew about that.

The article i linked has numbers of people convicted and rough numbers for hangings and transportation
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I hadn't realized that in the beginning, under British law, transportation was not actually a sentence for a crime.

Rather, the offender was given a different sentence... typically, death by hanging... the law as written then didn't give the judge much flexibility in choosing a sentence. The condemned was then offered a royal pardon ("by mercy of the King"), and accepting terms of transportation for some number of years (or for life) was a condition of the pardon.

This changed later, when direct sentences of transportation were added to the law. But, for a while there, you actually had to agree to be kicked out of the country of your birth.

I suppose that's better than being drawn and quartered, or hanged by the neck, or shot out of a cannon, or tied down and forced to binge-watch Gilligan's Island marathons. Still seems a sucky outcome of having gone begging without a permit.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I didn't know that either, though it does explain some things . . .

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Another thing that happened was that when Britain first started transporting criminals (and "criminals") to Australia, the Crown paid ship captains to take them from England.

After some years, an untoward number of complaints, and an investigation, they changed that: instead, the Governor-General paid ship captains to deliver them to Australia.

The death rate in transit pretty much collapsed, as did the rate of complaints of abusive treatment aboard the ships.