In That Department 2020-01-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

In That Department 2020-01-13

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Heh.

Shawna's got a similar problem to Atsali?

Maybe Castela subconsciously feels comfortable with her because she reminds her of Big Sis?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Re: In That Department 2020-01-13

Post by Opus the Poet »

I think Paul just likes to show shirts strained to the limit.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 am I think Paul just likes to show shirts strained to the limit.
He's writing themes in support of the American garment industry. Blouses which are exploded, or shredded by excessive pressure, have to be replaced. Miriam is sensible enough to replace the now-too-small apparel before such an urgent occurrence takes place, thus stimulating the economy and helping assure fuller employment for America's competition-stressed seamstresses.

Miriam is right to be concerned, of course. An exploding blouse could end up firing one or more buttons around the school at high velocity, possibly causing an "active shooter" incident.

The last thing Gryphon needs is an accidental confrontation between a faculty quick-response team (orc-and-mage), a Pixie uncontrollably strafing a classroom with faux-pearl blouse buttons, and the Pixie's anxiety-ridden and sleep-deprived plasma-bolt-hurling mostly-invulnerable significant other.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Yea that duo responding to an active shooter call finding the Pixe and girlfreind i can not see any way it could go wrong.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:19 am Miriam is right to be concerned, of course. An exploding blouse could end up firing one or more buttons around the school at high velocity, possibly causing an "active shooter" incident.

The last thing Gryphon needs is an accidental confrontation between a faculty quick-response team (orc-and-mage), a Pixie uncontrollably strafing a classroom with faux-pearl blouse buttons, and the Pixie's anxiety-ridden and sleep-deprived plasma-bolt-hurling mostly-invulnerable significant other.
Video of the incident to the tune of "Weapon of Choice" by Fatboy Slim.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 am I think Paul just likes to show shirts strained to the limit.
Yeah, it's this. And there's nothing wrong with that to be honest.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I find it kind of interesting how the mother has her top pair of eyes and her bottom left eye on her daughter, and the other three on her cooking.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:19 am I find it kind of interesting how the mother has her top pair of eyes and her bottom left eye on her daughter, and the other three on her cooking.
It could just be that that's the way she was drawn simply because that was how Paul happened to draw her, and that there's not really any particular reason behind it.

But it's more fun to possibly over-analyse every little detail, so. . .

In the panels where she's cooking and talking to her daughter, she has the middle pair of eyes on the cooking and the other two pairs on her daughter. When she stops messing around with cooking and turns directly to Shawna, then she seems to have all three pairs focused on her. The middle pair also seem to be the ones that would be the default "human" eyes, as far as location on the face goes. Also, she doesn't notice what Shawna is wearing until after she stops cooking and turns that middle pair of eyes on her.

This would suggest the possibility that pixies have a dominant pair of eyes, the ones that they retain in human guise. The other pairs (we've seen Shawna have 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 eyes at least) can look at other things, but their mind doesn't assign what those ones look at as highest priority for concentrating on (though maybe pixies can shift their focus to those other pairs if they feel the need).

Which might also be part of why Shawna wears glass with only two lenses on them. It could be that the other eyes that she can manifest just don't have any problems that require glasses, of course. But even if she's, say, far-sighted in all pairs, then she could still get fine with only her dominant pair having corrective lenses because those are the pair that she usually tends to focus through.

Besides, it would be really complicated trying to make specialty pixie glasses. Making them so that they could be adjusted to fit anywhere from two to twelve eyes would be cumbersome and finicky. Making a set for two eyes, a set for four eyes, a set for six eyes, and so on would be unwieldy to haul around, as would a whole collection of two-eye glasses. Having a pair of regular human-style glasses to use for the dominant eyes would be the simplest way to go. As well as the cheapest, since she could just go to any human eye-glasses shop at need rather than having to track down a specialty shop.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:19 am I find it kind of interesting how the mother has her top pair of eyes and her bottom left eye on her daughter, and the other three on her cooking.
Makes good sense, really. There's no reason to let dinner burn accidentally while you're talking with your daughter.

This sorta raises the question as to how the whole concept of "fairy food" applies in the Wapsiverse. In our world, it's a mixed topic. "Elves" and "fairies" were often said to have food and drink which was so delicious that mortals who tasted it would then find human food unsatisfying, and they could pine away and die out of longing.

On the other hand, "pixies" from Devon and Cornwall were often portrayed as little people, living close to nature, and eating simple and natural food like a few grains of wheat, honey-water or mead, mushrooms, wing-of-butterfly and haunch-of-grasshopper, and so forth. Nothing really satisfying (to say nothing of alluring) to full-sized mortals, although I suppose they might have influenced the development of the Cornish pasty.

None of that necessarily applies to Wapsiverse Pixies, of course. All we know is that Miriam seems to be able to multi-task pretty well while cooking, keeping several eyes on her pots and pans even while talking. We don't know if her meals are cordon bleu affairs, or more along the lines of Hamburger Helper.

(Dave hums a few bars of "You can't hide your fryin' eyes")
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 pm Nothing really satisfying (to say nothing of alluring) to full-sized mortals, although I suppose they might have influenced the development of the Cornish pasty.

None of that necessarily applies to Wapsiverse Pixies, of course. All we know is that Miriam seems to be able to multi-task pretty well while cooking, keeping several eyes on her pots and pans even while talking. We don't know if her meals are cordon bleu affairs, or more along the lines of Hamburger Helper.

(Dave hums a few bars of "You can't hide your fryin' eyes")
Insult not the magical pasty...it contains far more nutrition than its simple casing suggests.

And the Pun Jar is going to fry YOU unless you ante up...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:11 pm Insult not the magical pasty...it contains far more nutrition than its simple casing suggests.

(Dave places a copy of Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing CD into the Pun Jar. It was great that a copy decided to turn up just now, so we can hear her sing "Swede Surrender".)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:18 pm
Just Old Al wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:11 pm Insult not the magical pasty...it contains far more nutrition than its simple casing suggests.

(Dave places a copy of Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing CD into the Pun Jar. It was great that a copy decided to turn up just now, so we can hear her sing "Swede Surrender".)
You're giving your right to turnip wherever and whenever you want?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.