Just Updated 2019-12-2

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

Just Updated 2019-12-2

Post by Opus the Poet »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/just-updated/

Now what the %&$* is a Yokai?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Akeche

Re: Just Updated 2019-12-2

Post by Akeche »

Japanese demon, basically.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

A friend of Erma, perhaps?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:19 am Now what the %&$* is a Yokai?
In Japanese tradition, things and places and plants and whatnot would have kami spirits associated with them. Basically, sometimes the kami got a bit weird and manifested as yokai, which could take all sorts of different forms and personalities. Ruri is a tsukumogami yokai of a teapot, for example. I'm not sure what sort of yokai Yuuko is, perhaps a rokurokubi?

That's the traditional version of yokai, of course. The Wapsi world version could very well be altogether different in their nature.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

One of the definitions Wikipedia gives is ghost . . .

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:16 pm One of the definitions Wikipedia gives is ghost . . .

--FreeFlier
His point is my point...
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

TazManiac wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:05 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:16 pm One of the definitions Wikipedia gives is ghost . . .

--FreeFlier
His point is my point...
Getting a left twix right twix vibe off that last panel.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Catawampus wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:37 pm
Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:19 am Now what the %&$* is a Yokai?
In Japanese tradition, things and places and plants and whatnot would have kami spirits associated with them. Basically, sometimes the kami got a bit weird and manifested as yokai, which could take all sorts of different forms and personalities. Ruri is a tsukumogami yokai of a teapot, for example. I'm not sure what sort of yokai Yuuko is, perhaps a rokurokubi?

That's the traditional version of yokai, of course. The Wapsi world version could very well be altogether different in their nature.
For a Yokai story, there's Erma, a lovely tale of a young daughter of a Yokai and the human who rescued her from her cursed life. They're now a suburban family and Hijinks Ensue! Good clean cross-cultural fun.

On the other hand (I forget who gave me the link), here's a Manga called Tsugumomo about a family's treasured Obi (the Kimono waist wrap) which now serves/dominates the great grandson of the family.

Caution - it's a combo Hentai and Harem comedy with culturaly "appropriate" illustrations, only some of which are censored. You will learn was a "Kancho" is along the way, as it is slightly plot related. Very slightly. Did I mention Hentai?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Leak

Post by Leak »

As far as Yokai are concerned, I like Wayward by Jim Zub, Steve Cummings and John Rauch a lot; the story of a half-Irish, half-Japanese teenager coming back to Japan to her mother, only to find that there's something quite supernatural going on in Tokyo. Also, the back matter of the issues and the books also has a lot of interesting lore about all kinds of Yokai...