Flight Training 01 2016-05-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Flight Training 01 2016-05-06

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:(Dave deposits a relevant piece of Personal Protective Equipment in the Pun Jar)

How about some Dagmars?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm thinking, if Ellen where to draw her wings in tight, that Atsali could land the both of them safely- or visa/versa.

2ndly0 It's a very good assumption, re: mythological flying beings, that they don't actually fly by force of flapping wings but rather fly independently of them, using wings (and tail) for maneuverings and fine guidance.

PS- the likely scenario, based on the text, is that Atsali, upside-down as she was, was to keep flying on the straight and narrow, letting Ellen do the approaching. Seeing the baton, it seems Atsali 'went for it', after all; "It's Just Right There!", and 'boom'...
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Should not the coach be able to fly? Doesn't seem as if she could get a proper view of what is going on stuck on the ground. Nor can she properly demonstrate technique. It's like a flying instructor in the human world who has never actually flown a plane. Nor does he fly with his students in a dual control aircraft. At the least it seems there should be assistant coaches in the air to do their guidance thing right at the action just like assistant coaches in human sports. Generally speaking, any coach should have had some actual experience at the sport he/she is coaching.

Oh, I almost forgot. If Atsali doesn't right herself before touchdown, there will most certainly be a crack up. Someone had to say it.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

KnightDelight wrote:Should not the coach be able to fly? Doesn't seem as if she could get a proper view of what is going on stuck on the ground. Nor can she properly demonstrate technique. It's like a flying instructor in the human world who has never actually flown a plane. Nor does he fly with his students in a dual control aircraft. At the least it seems there should be assistant coaches in the air to do their guidance thing right at the action just like assistant coaches in human sports. Generally speaking, any coach should have had some actual experience at the sport he/she is coaching.

Oh, I almost forgot. If Atsali doesn't right herself before touchdown, there will most certainly be a crack up. Someone had to say it.
Ah... oh... yeah...no...

The pun jar just grew legs and is coming for you.... oh no, there goes Tokyo!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Catawampus wrote:Is it against the rules for Atsali to carry the baton in the same way that she carries cookies and phones and remote controls?
It is not against the rules, but passing the baton becomes... tricky...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:Should not the coach be able to fly? Doesn't seem as if she could get a proper view of what is going on stuck on the ground. Nor can she properly demonstrate technique
Ever take a look at some of the schlubs who coach college basketball?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Hansontoons wrote: oh no, there goes Tokyo!
Go go Atsali, yeah!

hmmm... doesn't quite sound the same though, you think?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Should not the coach be able to fly? Doesn't seem as if she could get a proper view of what is going on stuck on the ground. Nor can she properly demonstrate technique
The High School and Jr. High School coaches where I attended, the male coaches were either extra buff or a beer gut like they were carrying twins...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Jabberwonky wrote:
The High School and Jr. High School coaches where I attended, the male coaches were either extra buff or a beer gut like they were carrying twins...
Ours was both . . . very fit, and shaped like a barrel. He looked like most of the serious powerlifters I've seen.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

FreeFlier wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Ever take a look at some of the schlubs who coach college basketball?
Ours was both . . . very fit, and shaped like a barrel. He looked like most of the serious powerlifters I've seen.

--FreeFlier
Bet he couldn't have played basketball well, though. (That \t is, "well" on a college/semi-pro/pro level.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

From her build, I'm willing to bet that the coach is a Norse dwarf (folklore type). It would explain her lack of flicght.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

FreeFlier wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:The High School and Jr. High School coaches where I attended, the male coaches were either extra buff or a beer gut like they were carrying twins...

--FreeFlier
Bet he couldn't have played basketball well, though. (That \t is, "well" on a college/semi-pro/pro level.)
That depends on Coach Barrel-chest's shoulder width and level of flexibflexibility.

Though I'm not barrel chested, I've got a deep chest and I'm suprisingly flexible. For example, I can rotate both feetback about 110°. I can also hyper-extend my shoulders to point the backs of my elbows forward. Not straight forward, but still about 10° off from straight forward.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Though I'm not barrel chested, I've got a deep chest and I'm suprisingly flexible. For example, I can rotate both feetback about 110°. I can also hyper-extend my shoulders to point the backs of my elbows forward. Not straight forward, but still about 10° off from straight forward.
I can touch my elbows together in front of me. Do I win a prize?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

You know how they say that guys can't touch a certain part of their own backs with their hands?

I can't find that spot... I searched all over by rubbing my palm across my back, and I never found it. I must have ran my hand all over my back. Where is it supposed to be?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Many people have a spot about halfway up their spine that they cannot reach with the fingers of either hand, either from below or from above.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I can reach one arm over and behind, and reach the other under and behind... And overlap my fingers.

I still do the stretches I learned from martial arts at least once every day.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

SF/mystery writer Anthony Boucher could easily reach around to the small of his back, and created a character whose ability to do the same was the McGuffin in a locked-room mystery